Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,716,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
These degrees are essentially illegitimate garbage.

I would rather hire someone without a degree then someone with a University of Phoenix diploma. At least the guy who didnt go to college wasnt dumb enough to waste his time and money on an obvious scam like University of phoenix
These for-profit colleges are really scum of the earth.

They're huge benefactors of "corporate welfare", as they only popped up once the government started dealing out unlimited student loans/grants.

Their only goal is to get as many people enrolled as possible so they can receive more loans and grants from the Federal Government. They really have no obligation to teach the students once enrolled.

Of course when student loans/grants are cut off completely soon, they'll disappear very quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,743,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post

They're huge benefactors of "corporate welfare", as they only popped up once the government started dealing out unlimited student loans/grants.

Their only goal is to get as many people enrolled as possible so they can receive more loans and grants from the Federal Government. They really have no obligation to teach the students once enrolled.

Of course when student loans/grants are cut off completely soon, they'll disappear very quickly.
Those who have schooling paid via military service are the biggest victims of these scams.

It is a disgrace and a huge waste of taxpayer money. unfortunately it appears as if nobody in our government has the will to even attempt to fix this obvious problem.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
Quote:

On a roll, we mostly agree again.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Quote:
That's the problem, too many people and not enough jobs.

What type of education people get won't change that (though it's a convenient outlet to blame).
Then we must increase the incentives to create jobs in America. It is a demand, not a supply side, problem. States do it vs other states, so we could do it vs other countries, as well. Larger incentives would erase some of our cost differences vs other nations, especially for tangible goods, as the equation to get them back is simply US costs <= Off shore costs including shipping stuff back to US Distribution/mfg facilities.

We also need EXPENSIVE oil, as that increases the cost to ship stuff back. Cheap oil encourages offshoring.

Old 09-29-2012, 05:05 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,500,424 times
Quote:
Those who have schooling paid via military service are the biggest victims of these scams.

It is a disgrace and a huge waste of taxpayer money. unfortunately it appears as if nobody in our government has the will to even attempt to fix this obvious problem.
The republicans love to defend the for-profits.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:36 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,476,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Anyone who receives their lobbyist money loves to defend them. What a country, eh?

Old 09-29-2012, 11:18 AM

653 posts, read 1,799,975 times
Quote:
I would rather hire someone without a degree then someone with a University of Phoenix diploma. At least the guy who didnt go to college wasnt dumb enough to waste his time and money on an obvious scam like University of phoenix
LOL

Advertising == propaganda which at least half the nation is extremely susceptible to.

Quote:
And yet notice they are first to criticize government for not doing anything about this. One day the government is too involved in our lives, and the next they are not doing enough...

Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,437,588 times
Quote:
These degrees are essentially illegitimate garbage.

Is that really true, just curious? I have been out of the college since 94. I know of a fair amount of people that have a Master's from UoP. I figured their teaching was fine just their prices were exhorbanant. But they cater to people that have to attend night classes is what I have seen.

How do people feel about traditional Brick and Mortar's like University of Marlyand have an online cyber security masters? I was think about it, since I like tech and have some IT background. I do think I would have a harder time with online classes as I got a lot from interacting with my classmates at university.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,062,294 times
While there's a difference in educational value in taking classes online vs b&m, employers typically do not differentiate between the two as long as the host school is a traditional B&M school.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:08 PM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Quote:

Might be a good topic for the "politics and other controversies" forum. Both R and D serve their own masters. The R's tend to dance in the favor of the more productive puppeteers. Rest assured, neither R of D gives a crap about U or I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search