U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,873,077 times

Advertisements

Last week, I had a job interview for an assistant position that calls for an uncommon foreign language that I speak. There are a small community of immigrants in this area that speak the language, but not a lot. The interviewers were scary and really tough on questions, which I think was intentional. I got nervous and gave some stupid answers. The woman told me toward the end that I speak the language well and seem competent but I don't have enough experience. But she said they'd still consider me. She instructed me to call them back the next day to verify whether they want me for a second interview. They also said they had a lot of candidates apply for the position - but this could just be them bluffing. Upon leaving the interview, I felt so embarrassed for messing up on questions that I assumed they weren't interested. It was an awkward interview. I didn't even want to deal with listening to a possible rejection over the phone, so I did not call them the following day.

Then today, I saw that the job was reposted on Craigslist. This means either one of two things: they either were extremely picky and didn't find the person they wanted OR nobody wanted the job (it's only 30 hours not FT, no benefits). Should I call back to see if I still have a shot, even though they said to call last week? If so, what should I say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 11:15 PM

306 posts, read 346,191 times
Call and tell them that you were told to call and find out if you have been selected for the position. Nothing to lose by calling, so you might as well try. Don't be so hard on yourself, because everybody has had bad interviews. This is alright, because you can learn from what you did wrong and I guarantee that you will be more prepared next time.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 AM

9,792 posts, read 17,010,948 times
If they tell you no, you can tell them that you know you had a bad interview and ask if it would be okay to come in and interview again.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 AM

15,034 posts, read 21,767,703 times
Definitely call, they told you to. I would talk about something that has to do with the job, a situation you shined. Tell her that story and why you are calling. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,042,939 times
I agree with the others here, call them back. I think the idea of asking for another interfview for the job again is a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or