U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM

346 posts, read 942,260 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I found two companies close to home that I am interested in working for (or contracting). Specifically, these are both small private engineering firms (12-18 employees).
There is no specific career sections or a contact email for hiring on their websites, so I'm going in blind.

I would like to send them my resume' for a full-time position or contract only, but not sure what is the best approach.
Do I simply call the receptionist and politely ask for a name and email address of the hiring manager? I'm not sure.
Also, I found the president of one company on LinkedIn. What about connecting with him and a brief note?

(I'm currently a drafting consultant that assists engineering firms as needed per project or when workload is high and there is a need for additional temporary help.
My past contracts all came from my network of people that I know.)

Any thoughts or ideas is very appreciated.

MandK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 05:14 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,041,321 times
I think it might be a good idea to call and ask. I think calling in and asking might be a slightly more effective approach. I would try using Linkedin via one of your connections but it is easier to be overlooked and ignored in Linkedin. Good luck.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM

15,485 posts, read 7,507,960 times
Since the companies you're interested in are smaller companies, I wouldn't recommend cyber communication or phone calls.

I'm no expert, but I'm in a similar field you're in and I've had experience with this in the past. A few years ago, there was a small firm in my area I was interested in and wanted to inquire with and were previous clients of a company that I had worked for many years. What I did was an in person "cold call". I polished up and printed my resume, did all the research I could for that company, put on some business casual clothes and walked in and introduced myself and asked if there was anyone available I could speak with. The president of the company was in (thankfully), we shook hands and he invited me into his office and briefly told him about myself, how I knew about the company and asked about possible opportunities. He was very polite, but said they didn't have any openings at the present time. We continued to chat about industry related topics, and he asked me if I had a copy of my resume that he could keep. I gave him a copy, thanked him for his time and went on my way. A week later, I received a letter in the mail from him on company letterhead thanking me for visiting and meeting him. Shortly after, I did find a job elsewhere and moved so I don't know if they have added staff or not.

I didn't get end up with a job, but I think the face to face conversation is the way to go if at all possible. And with a smaller company, its way more doable than a large corporation. Face to face conversation allows you to use and demonstrate your social skills and your people skills and both are important. You can distinguish yourself easier that way and show some courage on your part. You can also get a feel of the persona of the person you might be working for, so it goes both ways. Emails and other cyber communication just can't do that. That's one of the reasons I can't stand the online application process, emails, and linkedin. Sometimes, there's just no avoiding it. When there is an opportunity to go the other route, take it.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited by MoNative34; 08-23-2012 at 05:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or