U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 10:31 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,492,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I looked myself up. I'm currently an inmate at a correctional facility 300 miles from here.
PM inmate number and I'll send a care package!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 10:32 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,907,517 times
On another note, the stupid crap going around now is if you don't have a Facebook or Twitter account, you're a Psychopath. The flawed logic for that conclusion is that James Holmes also had little/no track record on the internet.

Is not joining Facebook a sign you're a psychopath? Some employers and psychologists say it's 'suspicious' | Mail Online

Of course, recently a Military Veteran who posted information about 9/11 on Facebook was illegally detained and courted off to a Mental Institution by the FBI (the local police department detained them by the FBI's order).

It makes me wonder what did they do to the poor guy in that Mental Hospital.

Former Marine Detained By FBI For Facebook Posts About 9/11 And 'The Revolution' - Business Insider

His mother claimed she's spoke to several other mothers who had their children illegally detained and placed in Mental Hospitals for similar reasons.

Of course, the MSM isn't covering any of this...

That's why I will never create a Facebook or Twitter account. My private life is my private life for only me and very close relatives to know about and not for anyone else unless I tell them.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Please the powers that be that this thread doesn't decline into yet another FB thread of the "to have or not to have" question. It's already been hashed over unmercifully on every forum.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:49 AM

47,573 posts, read 60,686,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to prove or whether you think you've discovered something which nobody knows about. I looked at the InstantCheckMate site you linked which I commented upon as being trashy; and now I've looked (again, as I first looked at it quite a while ago) at the Intelius site you linked which is essentially the same thing but not free and has been around for a long time. It basically (as do many others) takes information from public websites, collates everything and then charges a fee depending on how much information you want to be given.

Intentionally oblivious? No, little cherub, but maybe now just a little amused that you think you've discovered a brand new world. George Orwell's predictions came about many years ago and only continue to grow and multiply.
I'm not sure being overly curious is anything new. In fact I know it's not. You might be surprised at who knows things about you.

There are these small towns that still publish news about traffic tickets, who is visiting who. People used to sit outdoors on their front porches and notice everyone and everything that went on in their neighborhood. There are still places like that -- small towns where people in the town know everything and you would wonder why they would waste their time bothering to know everything. Like one of my sisters didn't have a phone with her when her car broke down and knocked on a stranger's door to see if they could call someone for her, and they said yes but no one was at the house, they knew when our dad left for town, when the brothers left and they knew there would be no one there.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm not sure being overly curious is anything new. In fact I know it's not. You might be surprised at who knows things about you.

There are these small towns that still publish news about traffic tickets, who is visiting who. People used to sit outdoors on their front porches and notice everyone and everything that went on in their neighborhood. There are still places like that -- small towns where people in the town know everything and you would wonder why they would waste their time bothering to know everything. Like one of my sisters didn't have a phone with her when her car broke down and knocked on a stranger's door to see if they could call someone for her, and they said yes but no one was at the house, they knew when our dad left for town, when the brothers left and they knew there would be no one there.
I live in a VERY small community. On this island if you fart on the North side they smell it on the South side whichever way the Trade winds are blowing! I've heard things about myself over the last many years that I neither had a clue about nor even dreamed about. Hilarious! Nothing surprises me in that regard.

I'm not sure what's provoking Quantum to such a degree as I merely commented on first one link he provided and then another and don't quite understand his whole point.

And the bottom line is that I still think the OP sounds a tad paranoid ...

Old 08-27-2012, 04:17 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,376,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I would indeed be very surprised. I guess in 50 years of working both for myself and in many corporate environments in several different areas I must somehow have either avoided all such nonsense or have been perpetually blind. Phew!
There are so many people who are like you. It could also be that they didn't find anything on you they could use or they decided not to try and get you fired or make you so miserable you want to leave.

It's not easy to see the signs and catch their slip ups so it's understanble you wouldn't know or know how to catch them most of which is luck as well as paying attention. It does depend on the environment, type of job, who is a nutball. As i said it's much more common today. I truly doubt you were lucky enough to avoid. You more than likely just didn't know or maybe subconsciously ignored any slips up that would let you know they, who did. Don't get me wrong I understand employers must be careful today but no buts about it there is a limit both morally and ethically too many go too far. Coworker employees, managers, supervisors have no excuse which is why they are careful whom they choose to do the dirty deed that's where the dumb and desperate come in.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 AM

30 posts, read 136,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course it's common.

It's so easy to do for one, but also people will want to know how you're going to fit into their team. They may spend more time with you than they do with their spouses and kids -- so you can pretty much expect to face a grape vine off the bat.

Also look at the animal world. We're closest to dogs and look how dogs are when they meet a new dog.
I do NOT hump my coworkers as soon as I see them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or