Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,914 times

Advertisements

A couple months ago I started a new job in Corporate America. Im a very private person and tend not to voluntarily disclose too much about myself. Im a at work to work type of person. So I wondered how my coworkers seemed to know so much about me. Did we have mutual friends in common? Were they Googling me? From my address, to my age, to my relationship status, to very detailed accounts of incidents that happened in more than one previous jobs, coworkers were matter of factly coming to me with information that I never gave them or discussed with anyone within the company. Is it a common practice for nosy coworkers to do their own background checks? I opt no to have linkedin or Facebook so they would have to do a lot of leg work to see who we mutually know. Have you ever encountered someone googling you or making statements that were obviously a result of them finding out details about you from sources other than yourself? If I passed the company screening why do coworkers feel they have the right to try and rescreen me? Why dont people just focus on themselves instead of trying to find out dirt on their coworkers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 09:55 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,673,781 times
if whatever info on you was online then it was public info. but the only things they could get on you off the internet would be recorded judgments like bankruptcy filings, criminal convictions, civil judgments, professional license citations. they cannot obtain your credit reports from the 3 bureaus or your driving record from the DMV for example

Old 08-25-2012, 10:43 AM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,817 times
Why the hell do people stalk their coworkers? I could care less about my coworkers' peronal lives. I sure don't care about anything they did in previous jobs. Bunch of nuts.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter2012 View Post
A couple months ago I started a new job in Corporate America. Im a very private person and tend not to voluntarily disclose too much about myself. Im a at work to work type of person. So I wondered how my coworkers seemed to know so much about me. Did we have mutual friends in common? Were they Googling me? From my address, to my age, to my relationship status, to very detailed accounts of incidents that happened in more than one previous jobs, coworkers were matter of factly coming to me with information that I never gave them or discussed with anyone within the company. Is it a common practice for nosy coworkers to do their own background checks? I opt no to have linkedin or Facebook so they would have to do a lot of leg work to see who we mutually know. Have you ever encountered someone googling you or making statements that were obviously a result of them finding out details about you from sources other than yourself? If I passed the company screening why do coworkers feel they have the right to try and rescreen me? Why dont people just focus on themselves instead of trying to find out dirt on their coworkers?
Of course it's common.

It's so easy to do for one, but also people will want to know how you're going to fit into their team. They may spend more time with you than they do with their spouses and kids -- so you can pretty much expect to face a grape vine off the bat.

Also look at the animal world. We're closest to dogs and look how dogs are when they meet a new dog.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:49 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Why the hell do people stalk their coworkers? I could care less about my coworkers' peronal lives. I sure don't care about anything they did in previous jobs. Bunch of nuts.
Agreed. A lot of bored and boring people out there who have nothing in their lives.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 PM

34 posts, read 91,418 times
That has never happened to me, nor do I look for info on them. I wait for them to open up, if they choose. I think that's being nosy and your looking for trouble. I find it better not to know about a person's dirt or whatever. Because what happens, every time you interact with them... this image comes to mind and one can't respond with out a judgment.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:15 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
Honestly, I don't really believe what the OP is saying. Background checks do not even tell the kind of info he is claiming they have, unless it is with the FBI or something. And I just don't believe the people he works with bothered to do all of this.

So, I am thinking OP is here to stir up a storm of people incensed that others would snoop.....I mean, why did he/she use the screen name JobHUnter2012 if they started a job 2 months ago? They registered today....

Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter2012 View Post
Yeah I remember once filled a internet profile whilst getting drunk - something mildly embarrassing and a bit silly, forgot about it - then googled my name location and it was top of search!! Had to remove it very quickly.

Then had people making subtle remarks etc, all embarrassing and made me cringe.

Don't put anything on the net that links to your personal email, name etc - and if your using facebook, social networking - just keep the comments bland and boring.

You can sign up for Ziggs Search - put your Resume on it - and if some clicks on it you can see where the IP address is from - and see the geographical location.

I had a "friend" who was searching under my personal email addresses, and started asking questions which were directly related to something I posted on the net - which was OK - but didn't like the pathetic underhand way of behaving - why could he not just be straight to my face.

Sadly there are lots of voyeuristic people out there who get obsessed with your life - and probably sit around in evening googling colleagues names, emails etc in an attempt to dig up dirt, or just get inside your head for something to get one over you - don't give them any options.

As for doing a background check - who would hold this type of information ? Do employers, hr, recruitment retain secret files, info on people,- and I am not sure I doubt there is any kind of background check that holds personal info.

Last edited by mikeyking; 08-25-2012 at 01:16 PM..

Old 08-25-2012, 01:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
This happens all the time. Lawyers are one particularly bad group. They are trained to know that knowledge is power. Investigators and skip tracers also come to mind immediately. Law enforcement people with access to NCIC can look up almost anything.

People will use what they have. Ever belonged to lexisnexis? There is all kinds of info out there on almost everyone. Ancestry.com is another good place to get info on LIVE people.

I have an evil BIL I had not seen or heard anything about in decades. I thought he was probably dead. He is a felon(all his convictions have been expunged). This guy has always been VERY quiet and more than a little paranoid about people having information about him. He does his best to live far under the radar. When my H died, it took a lawyer about 5 minutes to find him.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:31 PM

653 posts, read 1,802,383 times
Amazingly people here seem oblivious, even after my People Search website thread.

Almost no one responded, so I can only conclude that few actually understood what the heck I was talking about.

If you don't believe me, look yourself up on InstantCheckMate hmmkay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search