Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,719,621 times

Advertisements

So I have been filling out online applications for various positions, nothing truly exciting, but on every application I get about half way through then they have me answer all kinds of questions about food stamps, and being on welfare, and how many family members have been on government assistance, or any rehab programs, or vet programs, it goes on and on and on. Then you go through another set of questions about what kind of personality you have, what kind of personality, "what word describes you best"....ITS DRIVING ME MAD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,456,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So I have been filling out online applications for various positions, nothing truly exciting, but on every application I get about half way through then they have me answer all kinds of questions about food stamps, and being on welfare, and how many family members have been on government assistance, or any rehab programs, or vet programs, it goes on and on and on. Then you go through another set of questions about what kind of personality you have, what kind of personality, "what word describes you best"....ITS DRIVING ME MAD

I don't understand why people whine about this. If some of you just take the time to learn how to work at a workplace, nobody needs to ask this kind of questions.

If you don't like the question, just don't answer it. You don't need to apply for the job. Go work for yourself and you can write all the hiring rules you want.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM

841 posts, read 1,911,390 times
It is none of their business if you are on food stamps or whatever.

If these sort of asinine questions keep up, pretty soon no one will ever be hired.

Now you can't be unemployed or getting help.

What's this country coming to?

Old 08-23-2012, 12:41 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,800,013 times
The reason for the questions about food stamps, welfare, etc. is that some companies qualify for tax credits for hiring people receiving entitlements. Some companies have actually set hiring levels for these types of applicants.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:42 PM

841 posts, read 1,911,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
. If some of you just take the time to learn how to work at a workplace, nobody needs to ask this kind of questions.
I guess EVERYONE unemployed is because they suck at their job. Hope it never happens to you.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,456,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
I guess EVERYONE unemployed is because they suck at their job. Hope it never happens to you.
Thanks for twisting my words. I really appreciate that!

Old 08-23-2012, 12:56 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,509,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
It is none of their business if you are on food stamps or whatever.

If these sort of asinine questions keep up, pretty soon no one will ever be hired.

Now you can't be unemployed or getting help.

What's this country coming to?
And employers have always discriminated against people who get food stamps or any kind of subsidized help. I know they still do.

So anytime they ask whether someone is getting this kind of help, it's kind of obvious that you say NO.
Whether they get kickbacks, tax breaks or whatever freebies makes no difference. They will still pay you below what they other people make who are not on assistance.

Spanish Inquisition or not, I will answer whatever questions help me get a job, not disqualify me.
If answering a question allows employers to discriminate, then I opt to put NO.

Excluding people is done very subtly. And sometimes not so subtly.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:02 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,617,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
So anytime they ask whether someone is getting this kind of help, it's kind of obvious that you say NO.
Whether they get kickbacks, tax breaks or whatever freebies makes no difference. They will still pay you below what they other people make who are not on assistance.

Spanish Inquisition or not, I will answer whatever questions help me get a job, not disqualify me.
This.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
And employers have always discriminated against people who get food stamps or any kind of subsidized help. I know they still do.

Excluding people is done very subtly. And sometimes not so subtly.
I never thought of that, but I bet you're right! They would figure the person on public assistance wouldn't know the current rates of pay too well and they were desperate anyway.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 PM

306 posts, read 429,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I'm sure those extremely long assessment tests are to weed out those who aren't determined to get the job. As for who's on welfare, that's really none of their damn business. I tend to just lie on some of those asinine questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search