U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2014, 04:53 PM
 
260 posts, read 262,237 times
Reputation: 278

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieR View Post
I have been in HR for 20 years with a speciality in recruiting. I can help you prep for your interviews. You are doing something wrong because they are calling you in for an interview (qualifications) but you are not getting to the 2nd interview. Once you understand the componets of the interview, the different type of interviewers, how to prep, and most IMPORTANT "Charm points" you will get to the next step.

I tip my heat !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:37 PM
 
895 posts, read 1,177,798 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The tell me about you question is asking more about your personality and how has it fit in previous work environments. So you basically will explain how you were able to succeed in previous work environments due to your personality. You can say that your passion for helping others grow made the team work better as a unit and achieve company goals.

Remember they already know you are qualified to do the job at the interview and is more concerned about how you will fit in with the current team. And that's when you will sell your character when asked......tell me about yourself.
Well I am screwed because I really never worked with teams in my successful previous jobs. I have mainly worked one on one and only saw my supervisor a few times a years. If the work was good, I pretty much did not hear from anyone. I am more independent or one on one type that likes to plan, teach, and solve problems for successful outcomes. Even the sentence I just wrote sounds fake and douchy to me.
.
Are all professional environments past entry level team like environments where you have to be friends with everyone or go drinking after work? If it is ,I am screwed and believe this is why I am usually one of the finalist but usually do not receive the offer. Big teams like 5-10 can be intimidating for me and this is usually how many people I talk to during the interviews.

I feel like you have to have connection with everyone, but I can not believe everyone is love with each other. This seems unreal. It's like going on 5 to 10 dates and loving everyone feeling super comfortable with them. That to me is not possible in the real world so why should it expected in the work world.

However, I thankful for your advice. I definitely feel more prepared.

Last edited by stephei2000; 11-17-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 PM
 
895 posts, read 1,177,798 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
The tell me about you question is asking more about your personality and how has it fit in previous work environments. So you basically will explain how you were able to succeed in previous work environments due to your personality. You can say that your passion for helping others grow made the team work better as a unit and achieve company goals.

Remember they already know you are qualified to do the job at the interview and is more concerned about how you will fit in with the current team. And that's when you will sell your character when asked......tell me about yourself.

So I guess my question is what do you say without sounding awkward or forced

After that ask the tell my about yourself do you start off as

I worked at Xcompany as a "job title". What do say afterwards without sounding unnatural? My greatest accomplishment at my job was fill in the blank? or my favorite part of the job was?

This can sound awkward and rehearsed. Unless you are having a regular conversation the whole thing me sound fake and off.


I feel like the more work I put into the interview the more turned around I become. I thought in interviews you just state what you did. Be positive and outgoing about your work and you get the position. This has always worked for me in the past. Two years ago, I received my job in a week. No interview prep or anything.

I mean talking about how you saved money for the company sound kind pompous and strange. Do you really brings this up literary during an interview?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Well I am screwed because I really never worked with teams in my successful previous jobs. I have mainly worked one on one and only saw my supervisor a few times a years. If the work was good, I pretty much did not hear from anyone. I am more independent or one on one type that likes to plan, teach, and solve problems for successful outcomes. Even the sentence I just wrote sounds fake and douchy to me.
.
Are all professional environments past entry level team like environments where you have to be friends with everyone or go drinking after work? If it is ,I am screwed and believe this is why I am usually one of the finalist but usually do not receive the offer. Big teams like 5-10 can be intimidating for me and this is usually how many people I talk to during the interviews.

I feel like you have to have connection with everyone, but I can not believe everyone is love with each other. This seems unreal. It's like going on 5 to 10 dates and loving everyone feeling super comfortable with them. That to me is not possible in the real world so why should it expected in the work world.

However, I thankful for your advice. I definitely feel more prepared.


Just explain how your personality helped you have a strong working relationship with your supervisor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2014, 06:17 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,353,052 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
So I guess my question is what do you say without sounding awkward or forced

After that ask the tell my about yourself do you start off as

I worked at Xcompany as a "job title". What do say afterwards without sounding unnatural? My greatest accomplishment at my job was fill in the blank? or my favorite part of the job was?

This can sound awkward and rehearsed. Unless you are having a regular conversation the whole thing me sound fake and off.


I feel like the more work I put into the interview the more turned around I become. I thought in interviews you just state what you did. Be positive and outgoing about your work and you get the position. This has always worked for me in the past. Two years ago, I received my job in a week. No interview prep or anything.

I mean talking about how you saved money for the company sound kind pompous and strange. Do you really brings this up literary during an interview?
you talk about what type of person you are in the workplace when asked that question.


"I always been the type of person who.................."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top