U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 03:40 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,380,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
That's not logical. Interviews are a way of testing you to see if you're a good fit for their company. Without interviewing people, they would not be able to determine that, save for basic education and work requirements.
but if a person is getting a job interviews in the first place, what made the potential employer call the candidate to schedule an interview with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM

10,075 posts, read 14,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
This is just my opinion but if something has happened a few or more times, it may be time to take a good look at the situations. You may be wonderfully pleasant, but maybe there is something there that is not coming through and you may not be aware of it.

this is sort of happening with me lately. I have been interviewing for 3 months now. I haven't had too many interviews and some have been temp to hire, but I have not been the one chosen.

Just today my agency gave me an update on the one I interviewed last week and said "well they didn't think it was a good personality match". Personality Match???? I always assumed I was pleasant, warm, caring and interested whenever I interviewed. Even the agency guy said he didn't get it.

Am I pleasant and personable? I like to think so. But Maybe not "at this time"? It has got me thinking. Am I going into the i'view with a chip on my shoulder? Am I bitter and or pissed subconsicously? Am I going in saying 'not another interview' and is it showing? My confidence is low lately and maybe that shows..

Also, maybe I did something at the i'view. I do remember when I went in, I went to the receptionist and was given a application. I did not expect that since my agency sent me. I was also not prepared because the agency said they had my resume and just to do show up on time. So filling out this app, I had to keep looking at phone numbers on my phone to place on the app. Also, subconsciously I was miffed at having to fill out an app, or for my agency not telling me. So I spent about 30 minutes trying to do it when it didn't really take that amount of time, and waited for the receptionist to ask "are you finshed" to which I said "yes I am thank you'. 9:30 i'view started at 10:10 am. Maybe that had somemthing to do with things. I don't know. "Personality match".

This has happened more than once lately and for roles I honestly thought I should have been chosen. I mean there may be valid reasons too such as I have to many skills for the position in question, or not enough. But it certainly has got me thinking.

Good luck in the future.
Bingo your agency screwed you. I would be pissed if I was a manager and you were ready 40 minutes later! Not your fault but they don't know that and in the end the buck stops with.............

Old 09-21-2012, 03:57 PM

I have a ton of top recruiters I am linkedin to and that's how I am getting job leads. I just got one yesterday for a good fit but the commute is 60 miles each way so I said sorry I can't do that esp. coming into winter. They wouldn't consider allowing me to work from home sometimes.

Here what made me think about your substandard agency. I had one I linked to based out of South Florida and that idiot called and lvm on my work vm about this job for a freakin call center! Lady I did some recruiting at my first sales job and common sense says don't call a canidate's work number and lvm about job opening that are clearly below them. I have done outsite sales and helped run a hedge fund so I am used to making 70k plus not some call center and that was all evident from my linkedin profile.

You need to dump that agency or have chit chat with them about how the cost you that interview today.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:00 PM

2,618 posts, read 5,461,510 times
Honestly, try attending networking events. These events are designed for people to meet other people. Usually its business owners or sales people, but if you go to an industry-specific networking event then you may meet some managers/directors who hire for their department and can meet you in person. You can ask them if they have any open positions and find out what they're looking for. It's also a great way for them to get to know you and ask you informal questions. It's a great way to build rapport with them before entering the official hiring process. You may uncover job opportunities that weren't posted to the public and you end up being the only candidate for.

Seriously, google "........... Networking Groups/Events" and find out what is going on. Registration fees are usually pretty cheap.

You could also try tradeshows specific to your industry. Great way to meet up and coming businesses that are gorwing and hiring.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,463,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
but if a person is getting a job interviews in the first place, what made the potential employer call the candidate to schedule an interview with them?
For example, my boss asked me to interview a new team members with outstanding experience. They would need to work with data tables of 1-2 million rows on a daily basis. The first 2 candidates had 10-20 years experience in their resume for writing "complex SQL queries" or "Advance SQL queries". I asked them to do some SQL queries with a table of 3 rows. It was clear that they could not write SQL.

There was huge disconnect between the 10-20 years experience in writing "Complex SQL Queries" or "Advance SQL queries"(Their words not mine). Their experience may have been limited to running daily SQL reports, written by somebody else.

I was disappointed and mentioned it to my boss. She told me that it happens all time. An interview can reveal a disconnect between a resume and the actual experience. When she did find people that confirmed their experience, they were hired. It's not in any person's best interest to get hired for a job, because the candidate stretched the truth. You end up with an unhappy boss that has to fire somebody that was just hired. You end up with an unemployed worker that could have been fantastic in a different job and still be employed.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:30 PM

653 posts, read 1,549,640 times
Well I'm sure glad that wave of Blame The Victim posts by a certain few here, is over now.

It's just so freakin' mean to kick people when they're down.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,380,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
For example, my boss asked me to interview a new team members with outstanding experience. They would need to work with data tables of 1-2 million rows on a daily basis. The first 2 candidates had 10-20 years experience in their resume for writing "complex SQL queries" or "Advance SQL queries". I asked them to do some SQL queries with a table of 3 rows. It was clear that they could not write SQL.

There was huge disconnect between the 10-20 years experience in writing "Complex SQL Queries" or "Advance SQL queries"(Their words not mine). Their experience may have been limited to running daily SQL reports, written by somebody else.

I was disappointed and mentioned it to my boss. She told me that it happens all time. An interview can reveal a disconnect between a resume and the actual experience. When she did find people that confirmed their experience, they were hired. It's not in any person's best interest to get hired for a job, because the candidate stretched the truth. You end up with an unhappy boss that has to fire somebody that was just hired. You end up with an unemployed worker that could have been fantastic in a different job and still be employed.
so it means my resume, application looks fine, attractive, it's just that my interview skills, body-language, voice-tone, need significant improvement? because i've asked this question many times and i still ask it because some people give me answers that are the oppossite of that, peoples answers vary so i get confused easily

Old 09-21-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
so it means my resume, application looks fine, attractive, it's just that my interview skills, body-language, voice-tone, need significant improvement? because i've asked this question many times and i still ask it because some people give me answers that are the oppossite of that, peoples answers vary so i get confused easily
I can only speak from my experience. I can't speak about your resume or interview. To get direct feedback, I recommend interviewing with friends and family. How many interviews have you done with your friends and family? If you are getting different answers, there may be different aspects to improve. If you can google free career advice groups, you might find some in churches or on meetup.com. I started out with a free charity class at my church.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM

P.S. The class at my church was from late 2008 through 2009. Despite the "Great Recession", students found a new job that averaged 40% more than their previous job. When I saw other students make it in the first 2-3 months, I knew they could help me. It took about 4 months, before I started getting better responses.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-21-2012 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 PM

I don't know if they do this during mock interviews, but videotape yourself. When I was making some bad trades at the hedge fund I was curious to see what I looked like and man I saw a different person at times. Some one not in control emotionally screeming at the montior LOL. You get the point I hope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search