U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:43 PM

15,031 posts, read 21,763,471 times

Advertisements

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBENEDICT View Post
Interview went very well. First thing, I took a different approach that I hope pays off. (based on mistakes I've been making)..

In previous interviews, I'll (99% of the time), ramble on about what I did.. what my responsibilities were.. etc... I always stumbled at the "tell me about yourself" questions" and end up going into a long song & dance about my life story..

I realize this is not getting me the job; the economy today is about cutting costs, improving efficiency, and improving the bottom line. Just as in my resume, I have key accomplishments listed.. I needed to sell what I bring to the organization and what improvements I could make.. what I could innovate... what costs I could reduce.. etc...

I made it a point of every time it was my turn to speak, I made it about an accomplishment.. a result from taking action... or something similar... based on the question asked..

When I got asked the "tell me about yourself".. I had previously brushed up on my "30 second to 1 minute" commercial and I thought I really nailed this compared to how I previously answered this question..

The interviewee (network services manager) on multiple occasions mentioned that he liked what he was hearing, etc... This was definitely a positive vibe.. as I usually do not get this type of feedback on previous interviews...

The way to answer the tell me about yourself question is basically selling your character. Taking one your personal qualities and connecting it to why it's a good match for the job you are applying for and how it helps you fit in with the team

Old 12-05-2012, 07:56 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,473,545 times
Quote:
Interview went very well. First thing, I took a different approach that I hope pays off. (based on mistakes I've been making)..

In previous interviews, I'll (99% of the time), ramble on about what I did.. what my responsibilities were.. etc... I always stumbled at the "tell me about yourself" questions" and end up going into a long song & dance about my life story..

I realize this is not getting me the job; the economy today is about cutting costs, improving efficiency, and improving the bottom line. Just as in my resume, I have key accomplishments listed.. I needed to sell what I bring to the organization and what improvements I could make.. what I could innovate... what costs I could reduce.. etc...

I made it a point of every time it was my turn to speak, I made it about an accomplishment.. a result from taking action... or something similar... based on the question asked..

When I got asked the "tell me about yourself".. I had previously brushed up on my "30 second to 1 minute" commercial and I thought I really nailed this compared to how I previously answered this question..

The interviewee (network services manager) on multiple occasions mentioned that he liked what he was hearing, etc... This was definitely a positive vibe.. as I usually do not get this type of feedback on previous interviews...
This is exactly what I learned at career skills classes. I got a $25k raise, while taking these classes. The interview process change was just one of a few changes made.

Did you come across this process in classes, too? From what I understand, it's a standard framework for interviews. I had never thought about it, until I took the class.

Employers want to know how much money you can make them. I was always thinking about the job tasks. If I had only learned how to interview properly earlier in life, I would be so much better off.

Once you get that first bite on this new method, see if you can get 2 weeks until you start. My first job offer was for only $12.5k more. After a few more interviews, I landed a 2nd offer for $25k more. This was back in 2008.

It also works for resumes. I went from zero calls to calls every week. I changed it from a list of job duties to a list of accomplishments and explained the scope(state, city, local, national?) and amount of responsibility.

I always encourage people go to a class to get the opinions of classmates and more experienced and successful people. It puts a smile on my face to see the change and success.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 14,038,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
This is exactly what I learned at career skills classes. I got a $25k raise, while taking these classes. The interview process change was just one of a few changes made.

Did you come across this process in classes, too? From what I understand, it's a standard framework for interviews. I had never thought about it, until I took the class.

Employers want to know how much money you can make them. I was always thinking about the job tasks. If I had only learned how to interview properly earlier in life, I would be so much better off.

Once you get that first bite on this new method, see if you can get 2 weeks until you start. My first job offer was for only $12.5k more. After a few more interviews, I landed a 2nd offer for $25k more. This was back in 2008.

It also works for resumes. I went from zero calls to calls every week. I changed it from a list of job duties to a list of accomplishments and explained the scope(state, city, local, national?) and amount of responsibility.

I always encourage people go to a class to get the opinions of classmates and more experienced and successful people. It puts a smile on my face to see the change and success.
That's great advice and I started to do the same recently. Focus on my accomplishments and how I generated more revenue for the company than I cost. Before I just put down job description and tasks and awards. I am now getting more interest.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:50 PM

97 posts, read 215,718 times
well holy cow... I got offered the position

Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM
FBJ

Quote:

congrats now you just have to get the letter to confirm things

Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

97 posts, read 215,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
congrats now you just have to get the letter to confirm things

That's what I told my wife
Told her nothing is set in stone until I get the letter... fill out a W4 and get that first direct deposit

Old 12-06-2012, 03:24 PM
FBJ

Quote:
That's what I told my wife
Told her nothing is set in stone until I get the letter... fill out a W4 and get that first direct deposit

LOL, exactly. is coming email or snail mail?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:25 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,473,545 times
Quote:
Slow your row now.

You have improved your resume and interview skills tremendously. Ask to start in 2 weeks, keep interviewing. Most people don't realize the power of a change in interview skills and an accomplishments based resume can do. I had an offer for $12.5k raise and kept interviewing for a $25k raise offer that I accepted. The previous 4 months, I had not a single offer with the old methods. It works. I have increased my salary by $60k in the past 5 years.

If you keep interviewing, you may be able to add another $10k on your current offer. You need to blow up the job sites with more resumes and applications.

People think nothing can be done for an interview. They constantly bring up some excuse to not change their tired old ways. It works. You need to keep going for more money or a better growth prospects. You need to apply for higher level positions, too. The students in my free career skills were in their 30's-50's. Despite have decades of experience, we were able to average a 40% increase out of a dozen people. That's not too bad for people, who are too old.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:39 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Slow your row now.

You have improved your resume and interview skills tremendously. Ask to start in 2 weeks, keep interviewing. Most people don't realize the power of a change in interview skills and an accomplishments based resume can do. I had an offer for $12.5k raise and kept interviewing for a $25k raise offer that I accepted. The previous 4 months, I had not a single offer with the old methods. It works. I have increased my salary by $60k in the past 5 years.

If you keep interviewing, you may be able to add another $10k on your current offer. You need to blow up the job sites with more resumes and applications.

People think nothing can be done for an interview. They constantly bring up some excuse to not change their tired old ways. It works. You need to keep going for more money or a better growth prospects. You need to apply for higher level positions, too. The students in my free career skills were in their 30's-50's. Despite have decades of experience, we were able to average a 40% increase out of a dozen people. That's not too bad for people, who are too old.

If he asked to start in 2 weeks he needs to use that time to get things done before he starts the job. Why would he still apply to other jobs if he already got a offer? Now if he gets a call for another interview for something he already applied to then that's different.

But as of now the job search for him should be over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search