Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 07:12 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Considering the amount of employers posting job ads with tons of grammatical and spelling errors, I don't think they have any business faulting the people they are hiring if they can't even spell correctly.
Their mistakes don't matter because they are already working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:38 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,749,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So a person who submits a resume for a Administrative Assistant position with spelling errors shouldn't thrown in the trash? How could that person be taken seriously as a candidate for that type of position?
I agree with you, TVandSportsGuy.

When applying for a position, your job is to put your best foot forward and project yourself in the best light possible. No flaws should come out this early in the game. To submit a resume with a typo reflects poorly on you as a candidate and raises serious doubts as to your fitness for the job. The first thing that would come to a hiring manager's mind: "If this guy's resume has a typo, who's to say his business reports won't have a couple?"

Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,749,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Everyone makes mistakes.

As I said before, it's one thing if the person clearly demonstrates they don't know how to spell the word and if their information is completely incoherent (for example, suggesting someone fax a document but don't provide a fax number)

It's another thing if, while typing, they mistpye a word even though you know what they obviously meant. People who currently have jobs make mistakes like these everyday in their communications. I just received information from someone regarding an interview with a simple mistake in it. Instead of saying "Thank you for your continued interest...", they said "Thank you for your continues interest..."

According to some on here, that person needs to be hung on top of the hill. Really, it's not a big deal. I clearly understand what they mean and that it is a mistake. It doesn't make them any less qualified for the job they were hired to do. They're human.
Your attitude is noble, but the fact of the matter is that most employers nowadays aren't as understanding as you are. Jobs are so competitive that a typo is grounds for disqualification -- and there's no doubt about it. I'd assume it'd be easier for them to let it slide if the position isn't heavy on writing. However, if written communications are a chief part of your job, the typo is simply unforgivable.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:38 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Your attitude is noble, but the fact of the matter is that most employers nowadays aren't as understanding as you are.
Oh believe me, I've definitely noticed that.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:00 AM

934 posts, read 1,930,038 times
Quote:
And the plane goes WOOSH!!!

There has to be a point before it can fly.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBarney View Post
There has to be a point before it can fly.
And what of value exactly did you add to this thread?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,618,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Their mistakes don't matter because they are already working
Be that as it may, I still would not want to work for any company that cannot double check their ads for errors BEFORE posting them. It is extremely hypocritical of them to want perfection out of applicants but yet can't even hold themselves to the same standard. Their mistakes DO matter.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
And what of value exactly did you add to this thread?
One might likewise beg that question of the comment to which the poster you're responding to referred.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
One might likewise beg that question of the comment to which the poster you're responding to referred.
I can't get into a silly argument with you this morning Skipper. I have somewhere to be and there's currently a thunderstorm in progress.

Maybe I'll join you in the play pin later.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,890,064 times
I estimate that 90% of resumes/cover letters I've run across have "detail-oriented" listed as a trait for the applicant.
Of that 90%, I would guess that 40% of their resumes/cover letters have simple spelling mistakes on them (including, occasionally, the name of the company they are applying to).
Now, as a hiring manager, wouldn't you find it odd that someone who describes themselves as "detail oriented" would miss a simple spelling mistake? A person who couldn't be bothered to at least proofread their own resume?! I mean, I could at least understand the cover letter, as only one company will see it...but the resume job seekers are sending to multiple companies? I would definitely want that on point.
If you were the hiring manager and had two "detail oriented" applicants to choose from -- all other aspects of their application being somewhat equal -- who would you choose to become part of your company? Someone you would rely on to actually be detail oriented, as that can affect the bottom line of your company?
I suggest stopping the finger-pointing, grumbling, and conspiracy theories and re-read your resume/cover letters twice over; in fact, try to get someone else you trust to proofread them. How hard is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search