U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2012, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Corona the I.E.
10,078 posts, read 14,038,623 times
Reputation: 8925

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Silent, I have to agree with alot of what you say. I'm 50+, and have never before now had to interview for a job. I have only had 4 jobs in my life time because I'm an excellant worker, good with people, am on the job site 10-15 before my shift begins, a team player and willing to do what is asked of me. In the last 18 years, I've used less than 15 sick days. Because of my work ethics and morals, I have not had to look for a job - people have approached me with positions. Now I find myself unemployed with a flooded work force in my occupation. I've applied to many jobs outside of my field but have found that todays hiring managers, some younger than my kids, instead of contacting references or accessing my qualifications are more intent on these ironic interview questions and how they are answered.

To current HR managers on this board - I'm sorry, but alot of these questions are just ridiculous. I don't delegate responsibilites as I've found that it's easier to do the job myself. I don't write down instances when I've done this or that. If an unfamiliar situation occurs - I handle it or seek someone who has the solution. To be asked to give an example - I can't. I do the work and move on. I've had friends use my experiences, put themselves in the position, add a few spins on the situation and delivered a BS answer to the hiring manager. Oh, and they got hired, so I guess what I did was right. But in the long run, their answers were total BS. These days it's who you know or how well you can lie to get a job. Just because someone can't answer a question like what fruit would you be and why, does not mean your not looking at a hard working prospect, who'd be an asset to your company.
Depending on your desired job, get on linkedin and network with recruiters. It's critical if you are in sales like me. I have been getting all my good job leads on linkedin and from my existing telecom network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 PM
 
Location: 130 Miles E of Sacramento
5,472 posts, read 3,304,670 times
Reputation: 3662
You can do everything right and still won't be able to get a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
You can do everything right and still won't be able to get a job.
So true. There is no certain way to get a job, you have to create your own way which I have found out in the past 3 weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM
 
2,032 posts, read 2,417,652 times
Reputation: 1499
I can only imagine how frustrating it is for someone seeking a job in this employment environment. I was lucky enough to be hired from abroad, but that is only because I have a somewhat unique experience profile and employment area.
From what I've seen, so many people are looking for work that you can, indeed, do everything right and not be hired. Why? Because there might be a dozen "perfect" candidates for any given position. So what does the hiring come down to? That is an interesting question. It could be a lot of things: First impression, an awkwardly worded answer, perhaps even when you came into the interview, or, yes, an error on your resume.
These things might not be fair, but it seems to be the lay of the land. It would be nice if the people doing the hiring would rise above petty reasons for hiring/not hiring someone, but someone's gotta get the job, and, regardless, eleven of those dozen are going to be left out in the cold.
It's a shame that it's come to this :-(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So true. There is no certain way to get a job, you have to create your own way which I have found out in the past 3 weeks
So has this new creativity proved fruitful? And, if so, do you plan on sharing it with other unemployed people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 09:40 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So has this new creativity proved fruitful? And, if so, do you plan on sharing it with other unemployed people?


There is nothing to share because it all comes down to brainstorming. You can't show people how to think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
There is nothing to share because it all comes down to brainstorming. You can't show people how to think
But has it proved fruitful so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,345,998 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
But has it proved fruitful so far?

It must have if I made the statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 10:23 AM
 
Location: St Thomas, US Virgin Islands
24,671 posts, read 58,470,005 times
Reputation: 26532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It must have if I made the statement
So you're now employed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2012, 03:28 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,474,824 times
Reputation: 4920
Here is a bad job interview.


Monty Python - Silly Job Interview - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top