U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2013, 01:46 PM

2,043 posts, read 4,859,011 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter how effectively you job hunt now.I've done it for 2.5 years. Done it all: job fairs, recruiters, agencies,Workforce1, online applications, useless personality test, networked, applied for multiple part time jobs to fill the 40 hours; offered to volunteer. I must have tried everything under the sun except parade on the highway with a huge sign asking for a job. I have a college degree and 15 years of experience as well as computer skills like many qualified people today who are unemployed.
You have to have somebody on the inside. If you don't, then you're scre**d.

My last resort is to start to "know somebody on the inside" by offering particular personal services in exchange for a job. Seriously. I am out of options. Don't know what else to try. Or I can just leave the United States and drive to Canada on my last few hundred dollars left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 07:17 PM

331 posts, read 305,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
It doesn't matter how effectively you job hunt now.I've done it for 2.5 years. Done it all: job fairs, recruiters, agencies,Workforce1, online applications, useless personality test, networked, applied for multiple part time jobs to fill the 40 hours; offered to volunteer. I must have tried everything under the sun except parade on the highway with a huge sign asking for a job. I have a college degree and 15 years of experience as well as computer skills like many qualified people today who are unemployed.

My last resort is to start to "know somebody on the inside" by offering particular personal services in exchange for a job. Seriously. I am out of options. Don't know what else to try. Or I can just leave the United States and drive to Canada on my last few hundred dollars left.
What kinds of jobs are you applying for? Are you highly overqualified for these positions? Have you had someone look at your resume recently? Are you tailoring your resume and cover letter to each unique position?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:30 PM

331 posts, read 305,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
" And I do think it's wrong to see hard working people with ethics not considered for a job, when there are those that get a job because they know how to BS, who I've seen hired and fired from more places in a year than I've worked in a lifetime. If employers would take into account there is more to a person than how they answer questions at an interview. I know someone, who is great at BS. They get hired, work a few months and then either quit with no notice as " the job wasn't for them" or get let go due to lateness, missing work, poor job performances ect. Mean while, there are those with great references, great performance reviews and longevity at their job, who don't do well with these "questions" and can't get hired.
I agree. Some people are just great at putting on an act. Some people have outstanding social skills that can carry them in an interview. However, when push comes to shove and they have to get down to business, things take a turn for the worse.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:19 PM

286 posts, read 712,719 times
Mystique13
How are you networking. Forget about applying online. It is mostly useless. Job fairs are only good for practicing your 30 second commercial and interviewing skills. Not for looking for jobs.

Networking is key. Since 2009 I was laid off 3 times. My company that laid me off enrolled in Right Management which helped greatly with my job searching skills and interviewing skills. 8 months after I lost my great job, a recruiter got me an interview and I did well on the interview. But was let go 8 mos later. But during that time, I continue to network since the job was a temporary one. I saw on LinkedIn, a friend had another connection who was in the same field as me. I asked my friend to connect me with her. We talked and connected on Facebook. A few months after losing my job, she called me saying her company has an opening. I got the job with her help, but was laid off 18 months later. Ugh.

I told my network about my situation a third time. A friend at my church told me another church member has an opening at a wholesale company he owns. I interviewed and got the job. Even though I make significantly less than I did in 2008, I am working. Now I am learning about retail and ecommerce at my current company and hope one day to open my own ecommerce company. Now I am just learning.

Networking is key. Talk to friends and family and ask to connect with their network. Be a part of a community like a church or organization that services people in your field. Find a group on MAtchup.com for people in your field or have same interests. It sucks I know first hand. I still suffer depression at what I lost in salary and benefits from my job I lost in 2009. I also have a college degree and 17 years experience. I know people in their 50s who can't find jobs. But do something different.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,918,333 times
Quote:

Well according to some, you should be networking even though you have already tried that

Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,049,534 times
Quote:

Is that all true? 2 1/2 years of job hunting with no results? You can't even find a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week?

Old 04-03-2013, 01:08 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,049,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
Mystique13
How are you networking. Forget about applying online. It is mostly useless. Job fairs are only good for practicing your 30 second commercial and interviewing skills. Not for looking for jobs.

Networking is key. Since 2009 I was laid off 3 times. My company that laid me off enrolled in Right Management which helped greatly with my job searching skills and interviewing skills. 8 months after I lost my great job, a recruiter got me an interview and I did well on the interview. But was let go 8 mos later. But during that time, I continue to network since the job was a temporary one. I saw on LinkedIn, a friend had another connection who was in the same field as me. I asked my friend to connect me with her. We talked and connected on Facebook. A few months after losing my job, she called me saying her company has an opening. I got the job with her help, but was laid off 18 months later. Ugh.

I told my network about my situation a third time. A friend at my church told me another church member has an opening at a wholesale company he owns. I interviewed and got the job. Even though I make significantly less than I did in 2008, I am working. Now I am learning about retail and ecommerce at my current company and hope one day to open my own ecommerce company. Now I am just learning.

Networking is key. Talk to friends and family and ask to connect with their network. Be a part of a community like a church or organization that services people in your field. Find a group on MAtchup.com for people in your field or have same interests. It sucks I know first hand. I still suffer depression at what I lost in salary and benefits from my job I lost in 2009. I also have a college degree and 17 years experience. I know people in their 50s who can't find jobs. But do something different.
How did you get laid off 3 times?

Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJung View Post
Mystique13

Thanks for the response. I am not a Facebook person. I like my privacy. I could amp it up though.
Churches: no I think not. Around here in churches it's mostly old ladies, newcomers who are searching for greencard marriages, and my denomination requires that you stand throughout the entire service. I have a herniated disk and won't be able to do that. Do I want to come with a cane so they let me sit? No. I am not looking for pity from old ladies and don't feel job networking with a cane is going to be effective. I am not a church person anyway. Russian churches really don't have the kind of people who would be helpful when it comes to job networking. A lot of weird people and scammers though. As far as friends, all of mine know I am looking for work.Nobody is in my field or knows anybody else who is. Family? I have none.Relatives lead their own lives and are indifferent, parents are not alive, no siblings. I'll think of something.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Is that all true? 2 1/2 years of job hunting with no results? You can't even find a minimum wage job for 40 hours a week?
WHY THE HELL WOULD I WANT A MIN WAGE JOB FOR 40 HOURS. I'll lose my unemployment and have less. Are you for real? Why, so my landlord can start eviction proceedings because I can't cover my rent? What's the point of working if you can't cover your rent and electricity? Why would anyone work 40 hours and live in a shelter or be homeless? That's beyond idiotic.

Also, they don't hire people with Bachelors degrees for min. wage jobs. When they do a background check they will see I have a degree and my credit isn't that great. Minimum wage jobs here , it's all illegal aliens here doing that, ex cons and other types of people a woman really doesn't want to be around due to concerns of safety. You should see what kind of people hold minimum wage jobs in NYC sometime. Those jobs don't offer health insurance.I have a herniated disk.

Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM

56,014 posts, read 54,523,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Well according to some, you should be networking even though you have already tried that
I don't understand why he hasn't tried parading on the highway with a sign.

It sounds frustrating, seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or