U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 05:49 PM

27,347 posts, read 15,795,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Your weakness was supposed to be a actual strength that you were pretending was a weakness and wanted to improve it so you can achieve certain success once you start the job.

Example, I said in one interview my weakness was that I only type 55 WPM and want to increase it to 80 so I can get a lot more done during the day.

The interviewer laughed because she knew that typing 55WPM was not really a weakness but was impressed I wanted to increase it
I think you and I have a similar vision. The difference is our view on the question what is a weakness OR area you want to be better at. If I am asked a skill to improve on, I say communication and listening skills because you need to know what customers and fellow employees want while you want to be able to type 80 WPM to be more productive employee. Are these both strengths, yes. However it is an area of improvement. We both need to work on things that are strengths as much as we do weaknesses. Can you type 55 WPM right off the bat, no. Would you be a great communicator and listener when you come of the womb, no. These are things you need to work at and build over time. Improving on weaknesses and strengths do not happen over night, it happens with every additional time you put the skill into action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 05:54 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think you and I have a similar vision. The difference is our view on the question what is a weakness OR area you want to be better at. If I am asked a skill to improve on, I say communication and listening skills because you need to know what customers and fellow employees want while you want to be able to type 80 WPM to be more productive employee. Are these both strengths, yes. However it is an area of improvement. We both need to work on things that are strengths as much as we do weaknesses. Can you type 55 WPM right off the bat, no. Would you be a great communicator and listener when you come of the womb, no. These are things you need to work at and build over time. Improving on weaknesses and strengths do not happen over night, it happens with every additional time you put the skill into action.

My point is they are not asking you to reveal a "real weakness".

Old 04-16-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
My point is they are not asking you to reveal a "real weakness".
And I wasn't, I was saying it was a point to improve on.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And I wasn't, I was saying it was a point to improve on.

Listening and Communication skills is not a good reply to that question. Those are two things important for any job and I don't think a interviewer wants to hear those things need fixing.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:03 PM

979 posts, read 1,042,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
also i just had an interviewer (just now, it was a surprise phone interview!) ask me what my GREATEST FAILURE was. seriously, greatest failure? i told her i couldn't think of anything really major (cause honestly i can't, not in my professional life) and then told her about a recent work mistake and how i fixed it and figured out how to prevent it from happening again. i dunno.
That seems like a tough question -- one designed to put you on the spot. I'd assume she meant your biggest failure in your professional life. You could feel your biggest failure was marrying your ex spouse, but obviously that wouldn't be germane to your work experience or your professional qualifications.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,719,990 times
relevant to the subject at hand, alison greene's column today is about the worst questions interviewers ask, including "what is your greatest weakness":

What Are the Worst Questions Job Interviewers Ask? - On Careers (usnews.com)

Quote:
2. "What is your biggest weakness?" This question has appeared in so many interview preparation books that it's become a cliché at this point, with nearly every interviewee prepared with a canned answer for it. It rarely elicits useful information, and what's more, a good interviewer will be able to make her own judgments about a candidate's weakness. It's hardly helpful to hear "I work too much," "I'm a perfectionist," or the other disingenuous responses candidates are taught to give.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:19 PM

805 posts, read 1,012,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
relevant to the subject at hand, alison greene's column today is about the worst questions interviewers ask, including "what is your greatest weakness":

What Are the Worst Questions Job Interviewers Ask? - On Careers (usnews.com)

How about saying interviewing is your biggest weakness? I genuinely think that's my biggest weakness as I'm not one to toot my own horn, so to speak.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:42 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,779 times
It's not me. It's employers. Every time I fill out an application I don't get called in for an interview. That's with open availability and no commitments.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
It's not me. It's employers. Every time I fill out an application I don't get called in for an interview. That's with open availability and no commitments.
It can be the numbers of applications they have, the time you put the application in (not in the sweet spot where it isn't too early or late), an internal metric system they look at or your experience (even if it is say being customer service/cashier) is not "good enough" for them. The issue with it being any employer's market is they can be as stingy as they want to be when it comes to who makes the interview list.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,779 times
I may just have to bite the bullet and call these people every 2 weeks and say I'm still interested. It's insane in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or