U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 08:34 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,718,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I may just have to bite the bullet and call these people every 2 weeks and say I'm still interested. It's insane in my opinion.
i feel like a broken record but this will just irritate the crap out of them.

i have a decent amount of experience and no degree, i spent a good chunk of my 20s job hopping for various reasons (i am in my mid 30s) and my current job was a medium-sized step down from my last one. oh and i am job searching about 400 miles from where i live. the only advantage i really have is that i am currently working. but i get tons of interviews. no jobs yet, but interviews pretty much every week if i can manage to make the trip for them. the secret is not really a secret - i worked my butt off making my resume and cover letters as awesome as they can be. i read up a bunch, asked people i know who are hiring managers to look at them, and i make sure they're always customized to the job. i don't apply to nearly as many jobs as i used to and i get more interviews. if you're not getting interviews, i'd take a long hard look at my application materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 05:10 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,071,403 times
I'm just trying to get a simple job.....I don't care if it's mopping floors in mcdonald's. My condition doesn't disable me as much as it once did. I am ready to start life right. But I'm not being given the opportunity. I'd really like to work in a grocery store but it's very tough to get in them out here. The employers out here just simply don't call you back at all.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 AM

ah, jobs like that it is harder to make a good impression with your application materials because they just have standard applications. Still, you can have someone else take a look at how you're describing past positions etc to make sure that is all written well, is clear, casts you in the best possible light, etc. i'm sure you've heard this a million times but there are just so many applicants for every job right now, the odds are against us from the start. the only solution is to apply to tons of stuff (i mentioned that i get a lot of interviews - i also apply to at least one job pretty much every day, and i am in a position where i can afford to be picky), and let all of your friends and family members know that you're looking in case there is a place you can apply to where you have a personal connection.

i feel for you, and i understand why you are so bitter - it's really tough right now. everything is stacked against the jobseeker. and then there are people saying "if you don't have a job it's your own fault" as if it's the 50s and there's a job opening out there for every person or something. the fact is, there is not a job for every person in the u.s. (or anywhere!) and it's simple math that keeps people unemployed, not necessarily laziness or incompetence or whatever.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM

27,345 posts, read 15,790,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i feel for you, and i understand why you are so bitter - it's really tough right now. everything is stacked against the jobseeker. and then there are people saying "if you don't have a job it's your own fault" as if it's the 50s and there's a job opening out there for every person or something. the fact is, there is not a job for every person in the u.s. (or anywhere!) and it's simple math that keeps people unemployed, not necessarily laziness or incompetence or whatever.
You would think things like this would have changed in the last 5 years where we have seen about one in ten working Americans out of a job. You have 10 friends, one is likely to be unemployed yet people still think we are lazy, incompetent and/or entitled.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You would think things like this would have changed in the last 5 years where we have seen about one in ten working Americans out of a job. You have 10 friends, one is likely to be unemployed yet people still think we are lazy, incompetent and/or entitled.
i guess it's comforting to believe that people who are successful deserve it and people who aren't are somehow lacking, not just unlucky.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 11,253,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
How about saying interviewing is your biggest weakness? I genuinely think that's my biggest weakness as I'm not one to toot my own horn, so to speak.
If that's not the perfect answer, I don't know what is. Why would I be an expert at being interviewed if I have never been through one?

I honestly never sat through a traditional interview process. During high school I always got hired on the spot or a manager would "try me out" to see if i could learn tasks quick enough. Next thing I knew, I was filling out W-2 forms for the job.

After I graduated, then came the Air Force two day "interview" process(MEPS). Now it's almost 14 years since I joined and still no interview.

If the "my biggest weakness" question ever comes up after I separate, I will have to say "probably interviewing, since I have always been hired on the spot".

"...now, if you can just focus your attention back to my skills on my résumé..."

Probably no second interview for me. Lol

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 07-08-2013, 09:36 PM

979 posts, read 1,042,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i'm sure you've heard this a million times but there are just so many applicants for every job right now, the odds are against us from the start. the only solution is to apply to tons of stuff (i mentioned that i get a lot of interviews - i also apply to at least one job pretty much every day, and i am in a position where i can afford to be picky), and let all of your friends and family members know that you're looking in case there is a place you can apply to where you have a personal connection.

Very sound observations, groar. Indeed, persistence eventually pays off.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM

331 posts, read 305,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It's hard to believe just how many people still find themselves unemployed.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:35 PM

979 posts, read 1,042,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
It's hard to believe just how many people still find themselves unemployed.
Just read that Detroit went bankrupt. The economy is still in tatters.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:16 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,517,436 times
Man, I'm going to have to start a separate thread about this last round of hiring I did.

Talk about a thin talent pool! Found a couple of good prospects and a few that I'll be saving for when I need a good laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or