Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stt resident View Post
that isn't something even remotely close to any opinion i was expressing. Repeat: "please point out where i either said that or even inferred it."

maybe a better handle for you would be "non sequitur nonpareil".

lmao lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,774,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
and i think mass-sending generic resumes and cover letters is a terrible tactic. you'll get better results if you apply to 1/10 as many jobs that you are well-suited for with highly customized cover letters (and customized resumes, if appropriate). mass-applying to 100 jobs might seem like an efficient use of your time but it's really not.
Couldn't agree with you more. You're treading dangerous waters by applying for jobs you're not qualified for or interested in. I did just that a couple of years ago, and wound up getting the job. Long story short, I quit a month and a half later because the job didn't suit my personality. I always had a hunch it wasn't the right job for me; I should have listened to my gut.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:00 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. You're treading dangerous waters by applying for jobs you're not qualified for or interested in. I did just that a couple of years ago, and wound up getting the job. Long story short, I quit a month and a half later because the job didn't suit my personality. I always had a hunch it wasn't the right job for me; I should have listened to my gut.

Funny,. always remember people on here saying the opposite when someone is on UC they should take any job so they could have a active resume lol

I agree with you, whatever job you apply to it must be something you are interested in so you won't be depressed going to work everyday

Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
The article helped them a great deal, but here's what I don't understand: Why is it that so many people are clueless out there when it comes to polishing resumes, shining in interviews, etc.? Granted, I've had ample interview/job hunting experience, but it seems people just don't take the time to research the topic. And then they wonder why they aren't getting the jobs. It's not rocket science by any stretch.

Have you guys encountered the same?
Hmm, well I only held three jobs in the last 22 years, so I'm kinda rusty with the whole resume / interviewing thing. As with everything, the more you do it the better you get at it (or you starve). A lot of people haven't had to look for work for years and they are way out of practice.

One thing I did notice was people not taking the whole job search seriously. Myself and three co-workers were given 9 weeks notice that we would be laid off. One wanted to find something closer to home, another didn't even bother start looking until 6 weeks later, and yet a 3rd was holding out for a programming position in the same government organization that laid us off. I even told some of them that there were job openings in a call center I landed a job at. Too far away one said. Well that 6 month "vacation" will be over before they know it. Then it's cashing in the 401k, foreclosure and living on the street they have to look forward to.

Last edited by TechGromit; 08-18-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 PM

332 posts, read 868,462 times
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE!!!!!!!!!! EVERY person I met in my area who got a great job was not because of their many professional degrees, experience, or appearance but because they were a RECOMMENDED HIRE. I lost many jobs to those. I'd come in prepared, looking beautiful, charming, witty, great resume, credentials, and experience but i'd lose it out to the recommended hire after a series of interviews for the same company .Usually they'd make me go on 3 interviews then when i go to the head roach of the company they told me that I was in the run with a recommended hire one out and told me that if they didn't like the recommended hire, they'd hire me. Unfortunately for me i'm an interovert and when people told me to call them when i needed a job with their company usually they'd act like they never offered to help me. Making them out to be fake friendly. I just don't have it in me to fit in with a company culture's fakeness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You can have the best job hunting and interviewing skills in the world. I've already tried every single tip in that article and more to no avail.

But when when there are way more people who want jobs than there are jobs and employers feel entitled to have an employee with specific skill/personality sets, it all comes down to luck of the draw and connections while everything else is irrelevant. Consider too that every HR Rep/Hiring Manager has different ways of seeing things, different tastes and different expectations. If you put 10 of them in a room and ask them individually what do they look for in a great candidate, they'll all have different answers. Some see your strides to land the job as taking great initiative, others see it as harassment/stalking/circumventing the process. There is no cut and dry way of approaching them.

The most helpful tip in that entire article was probably #3. It is indeed a numbers games, along with what I stated in the last paragraph. Just like with the lottery, the more combinations you play the greater your odds will be to win the jackpot.

I'm not sure why people (mostly who have jobs) fail to understand that. Maybe a reality check is in order?

Old 08-19-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post

I agree with you, whatever job you apply to it must be something you are interested in so you won't be depressed going to work everyday
That's true. Whether we like it or not, we spend so many of our waking hours at work that we ought to find something that suits both our skills and interests.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 AM

I figured the unemployment rate would be under 7 percent by now, and that all my friends would have jobs. Not the case.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
Quote:
I figured the unemployment rate would be under 7 percent by now, and that all my friends would have jobs. Not the case.
Jut depends on where you live and type of work you are looking for.

Sent from watch

Old 10-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
Jut depends on where you live and type of work you are looking for.

Sent from watch
How are things on the job front in your city?

Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I don't know who to job hunt or interview effectively because the last time I looked for a job was in 1983! And even then, there was one job I wanted and I applied for it and got it. No rigorous job search or interviewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search