U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 10:35 PM

979 posts, read 1,042,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef.sunny22 View Post
If you are going to interview somewhere, find reviews of the company. Just because they have jobs open doesn't mean they are stellar places to work.
I agree with you. The only problem is this: Sometimes finding those reviews are hard to come by, especially when it deals with a fledgling start-up or lesser-known business. The harsh reality is that, in the absence of information on a particular company, you have no choice but to give the place a try -- provided that you need the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM

331 posts, read 305,590 times
Those who spend many years working for the same employer -- like me -- might reasonably be fazed by the thought of job-hunting, especially since they haven't been in that position for a long time. That's why resumes, interviewing, and the like seem more foreign to people in that camp.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:23 PM

419 posts, read 709,783 times
Most people who don't just wake up one day suddenly wanting their first job know the basics of job searching. The ones who don't are either very young, very old, out of touch because of previous stable employment, or unwillingly/uncaring to know. Job searching fundamentals haven't changed very much despite advancements in technology. Yes, the old methods of face to face don't really fly high for anyone not already highly-highly skilled anymore, but the stars haven't completely realigned in how to get work. The numbers are just worse. Employers can just be more picky. Qualification have increased in certain areas. being average doesn't provide the probability of semi- success it use to. In that regard, it's easier to do a minimum due to the proliferation of technology. That's all. But to say no one knows how to job search or lots of people don't, well, bugger your pointless generalizations. Joe Schmoe showing up in a thong for an interview isn't even worth commenting on when it comes to reasonable ability to look for work.

As for interviewing, well, I think that's a different can of worms for some. Some people just aren't well suited for it. many people can learn to get better, but some will simply be more well inclined/ social/ likeable than others regardless of time put in. People aren't born equal. One can only try and improve...or be content with what they got...

incidentally, i'd say it's easier to "be better" once you have a network and experience.....as even a mute wombat can get off the ground if he's already got decent support and skilsl in place.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:07 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,342,391 times
Many people have never HAD to job hunt. My mother, for example. Worked a bunch of service-sector jobs in the early-mid 1980s, where she basically filled out an application, and after an informal on-the-spot interview, got hired. No resumes, no background checks, no personality tests, nothing. Quit her job at a local restaurant/bar to become a stay-at-home mom, and then returned to work at my family business. Or like a few of my relatives: did work for our new-defunct family business almost their whole life. Lots of people have never "had" to interview, and therefore do not know the (rather silly, I must say) ins-and-outs of interviewing. Nor are they equipped with the knowledge to effectively job-hunt, because they always knew somebody or were automatically employed in their relative's or friend's business. Some people who never had this blessing and curse forget this.

Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM

331 posts, read 305,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
As for interviewing, well, I think that's a different can of worms for some. Some people just aren't well suited for it. many people can learn to get better, but some will simply be more well inclined/ social/ likeable than others regardless of time put in. People aren't born equal. One can only try and improve...or be content with what they got...
Some people are also successful at "faking it" during interviews; i.e., they are able to act a whole lot more self-confident when discussing their accomplishments and answering questions thrown their way. I wish I were like that; I can't help but get nervous.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM

640 posts, read 1,087,506 times
That's why some here bash the unemployed. Most of them are older who had everything handed to them on a silver platter. It's like a fat man trying to lecture a starving ethiopian kid about how to get food.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:49 PM

979 posts, read 1,042,091 times
Good point, rocksy. Though acting more self-assured during the interview will help you make a good impression, you won't be able to fake it forever. Your true personality will shine through sooner or later.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:17 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,984,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
Because most people don't learn these things until late in life. Job hunting
and good interviewing should be taught as early as grade school since it is
such a important part of adult life.

Why we don't start teaching people this early in life, I don't understand.
This is probably a good idea, but will not really help people get jobs as long as the unemployment rate stays high which is the REAL problem. If everyone becomes that much better, then that ends up helping nobody.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:18 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,984,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I feel that way about my daughter. She is in her senior year of college, but she got a job as a bank teller over the summer and will work part-time through the school year. She said that after a month, her co-workers were telling her that when she was hired, one of them who didn't interview but saw her walk in told the other guy to hire her just because unlike the other college kids who had come in, she dressed professionally for the interview. And the girl who came in before her had walked in and plopped herself down in a chair and began texting somebody. A customer service rep came over and asked if she could help her, and the girl said, "Oh no, I'm just waiting for my interview" and went back to texting. The guy who was doing the interview witnessed this said he didn't even want to interview her at that point, but he did anyway. She lost the job before she even met him.

So I'm not that upset that so many college-age people seem to be complete morons. They are my kid's competition for future jobs.
What about the millions of people who act and dress professionally like your daughter did, but still don't get the job?

Old 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM

7,238 posts, read 10,899,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
What about the millions of people who act and dress professionally like your daughter did, but still don't get the job?
It amazes me that people never consider things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or