Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 09:03 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,618,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
What about the millions of people who act and dress professionally like your daughter did, but still don't get the job?
Exactly!

I suppose, according to some here, it is all of their fault for not getting the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 10:03 AM

640 posts, read 1,211,583 times
We have to remember that employers have a role in high unemployment with their online applications and personality psycho babble tests. Also the fact that young people can't get their foots in the door because they need experience for getting the entry level job. People are absolutely sold on the idea that there is no evil in this world. People CAN'T be evil or cruel. People CAN'T be corrupted. Corruption doesn't exist. Greed doesn't exist. Deliberate suffering doesn't exist. The world is perfect and if you have a problem it is 100% your fault and nobody elses.

It's total BS. It's a carefully crafted propagandized belief system pushed into them by the media.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:58 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,983,531 times
Part of the problem is this: there is a very specific personality type that tends to get into management, and they tend to be intollerant of people with other personality types. The people with that personality type tend to not have to look for jobs, so the ones that are interviewing are everyone else, who lacks that personality type. So, the managers who are doing the interviews decide that everyone is bad at interviewing, since they do not have the right personality type. The person being interviewed remains unemployed, the unemployment rate rises, and employers whine that there are "no qualified employees". There are qualified employees, they just don't have the personality type that management likes.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:55 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,749,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Part of the problem is this: there is a very specific personality type that tends to get into management, and they tend to be intollerant of people with other personality types. The people with that personality type tend to not have to look for jobs, so the ones that are interviewing are everyone else, who lacks that personality type. So, the managers who are doing the interviews decide that everyone is bad at interviewing, since they do not have the right personality type. The person being interviewed remains unemployed, the unemployment rate rises, and employers whine that there are "no qualified employees". There are qualified employees, they just don't have the personality type that management likes.
Yup. Not everyone is cut out for management. I know I'm not. Those in management must have a thick skin. However, as noted in an earlier post, an interviewer might deem a person fit for management -- but only because the person did a great job at faking it throughout the interview.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM

331 posts, read 379,716 times
I thought that things would be better by now. From what I can see, jobs remain highly competitive in most sectors. Whereas earlier in the decade employers would have to choose between two really good candidates for a position, now they can get anywhere from 3-6 highly competent individuals.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:09 PM

640 posts, read 1,211,583 times
I fill out applications everywhere and I never get called for an interview. It doesn't help that they all want you doing it online and of course the personality test weeds you out.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM

331 posts, read 379,716 times
I've taken personality tests before. They're designed to get a good sense of your personality -- whether you're a team player, how you resolve conflict, etc. I think most peoplea are predisposed to selecting those answers they think employers want to see.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,749,365 times
One of my closest friends had a job interview last month. He was sure he'd aced the interview. He sent them a cover letter and thank you letter. His resume was flawless.

He did all the little things right, but was informed yesterday that he didn't get the job. It just goes to show you that competition remains stiff out there, and all you can do to better your odds is apply for more jobs.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM

934 posts, read 1,930,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksy23 View Post
I think most peoplea are predisposed to selecting those answers they think employers want to see.
This is tricky because you can easily guess wrong and 'test' your way right out of consideration.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:35 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,637,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
One of my closest friends had a job interview last month. He was sure he'd aced the interview. He sent them a cover letter and thank you letter. His resume was flawless.

He did all the little things right, but was informed yesterday that he didn't get the job. It just goes to show you that competition remains stiff out there, and all you can do to better your odds is apply for more jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search