U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:30 PM

331 posts, read 305,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
He did all the little things right, but was informed yesterday that he didn't get the job. It just goes to show you that competition remains stiff out there, and all you can do to better your odds is apply for more jobs.
Same thing happened to my cousin. She had three rounds of interviews, which makes it all the more frustrating. Nothing worse than coming in as the runner-up and walking away empty-handed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 AM

640 posts, read 1,088,354 times
3 interviews for what? fast food? You have to do 3 for seasonal jobs. Ish is crazy in this country. People don't even realize what they are doing. You, the OP wonder why people can't find work? It's because of what employers are doing. The new job hunting process is bologna.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,502,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silenthelpreturns View Post
The new job hunting process is bologna.
A little cheese and whine with that, perhaps?

Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
3 interviews for what? fast food? You have to do 3 for seasonal jobs. Ish is crazy in this country. People don't even realize what they are doing. You, the OP wonder why people can't find work? It's because of what employers are doing. The new job hunting process is bologna.
No, it was actually an account coordinator position at an ad agency. Those tend to be super competitive.

With so many applicants for so few positions, things are crazy out there right now.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:49 PM

That doesn't justify what employers are doing. I have a prepaid cell phone with a fresh number. If it ever rings, I know exactly who it is.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:11 AM

2,032 posts, read 2,418,841 times
I interview people as part of my job.
Three points, which have been brought up, that I would like to reiterate for those going through interviews:
1. Confidence. If you are not confident in yourself, how can you expect others to be confident in you?
2. Act professional. No matter the job you are interviewing for, it is always better to err on the side of professionalism. I once interviewed a young man who walked in looking like he just came in from the nightclub. I then interviewed a young man who came in with a suit and a smile. They had very similar qualifications and skill sets. Guess who I hired?
3. Learn as much about the job as you can. You won't believe this -- or perhaps you will -- but I would say at least 30% of the people I have interviewed didn't know the title of the position they were interviewing for. Common sense would dictate that one should know this, right? (This is also a question I often sneak into interviews.)

I hope this helps.
Best of luck.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:53 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,484,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Exactly!

I suppose, according to some here, it is all of their fault for not getting the job.
Not really. If one person did not get the job and someone else did, it just means that the latter candidate was a better candidate for the position.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:57 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,484,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
It just goes to show you that competition remains stiff out there, and all you can do to better your odds is apply for more jobs.
Eh....it depends. Just applying for more jobs may not always work. In some fields, the key may be zeroing in on those positions for which one has the best fit.

Quote:
That doesn't justify what employers are doing.
You mean trying to find the best possible candidate to fill a position? How dare they!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Not really. If one person did not get the job and someone else did, it just means that the latter candidate was a better candidate for the position.
Unless it's a case of cronyism or nepotism, which is quite common nowadays.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:09 AM

Yes tober. In my opinion more employers should be hiring not coming up with more ways to dupe people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or