Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I work for a Fortune 500 company currently...
That's obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,510,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
That's obvious.
It's flaming obvious. OK, let me break it to some people: Not everyone worships Fortune500 companies. OK? Understand? So get over yourselves, and deflate your ego a bit. Don't forget, you are still an employee at will or "under contract", so the Corporate Godhead can send you to Purgatory with the next round of layoffs, demotions, firings, corporate exile to a company branch in an unknown part of the country, "cut back your freebies/bennies", etc. Oh and my favorite one: assign you to work with another person who makes the boss in Devil Wears Prada look like a girl scout.

Not everyone wants to work at F500 companies.Some people are looking for things that F500 usually don't offer like work/life balance, no cubicles, an environment that is not rigid, etc.

BTW: Nobody owes anybody a job but if I work for you, you owe me a paycheck on time. You also owe me a lunch break/meal period. Nobody has the attitude of self entitlement more than people who head and work for Fortune500. I've seen in for years and years.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:03 AM

844 posts, read 2,010,179 times
Did you read the part where I said the company doesn't care about you and will lay you off at any time and they want you to do your **** work? Or did you just not read past "Fortune 500"? My point was that being on the "inside" I kind of know how these places work. But hey, if you want to get a job at a "nice" company where they treat people well, go for it!

Old 09-27-2012, 10:30 AM

LOL. I read it all, don't worry. Further, it was so arrogant I had to read it a few times more. LOL. I was on the "inside" too and many of my friends were on the "inside" too. So?? We know how these places work, that's why we left. Many people who were on the inside are not on the outside and they couldn't be happier. There are plenty of companies which are not Fortune500 were people are treated well. "Nice" is subjective. What one considers nice another might not. LOL.

We're happy to be on the outside. Thanks. Been there, done that. Noooo thanks. I place a higher value other things.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 AM

844 posts, read 2,010,179 times
Then clearly my post wasn't intended for you.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:48 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,618,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
It's flaming obvious. OK, let me break it to some people: Not everyone worships Fortune500 companies. OK? Understand? So get over yourselves, and deflate your ego a bit. Don't forget, you are still an employee at will or "under contract", so the Corporate Godhead can send you to Purgatory with the next round of layoffs, demotions, firings, corporate exile to a company branch in an unknown part of the country, "cut back your freebies/bennies", etc. Oh and my favorite one: assign you to work with another person who makes the boss in Devil Wears Prada look like a girl scout.

Not everyone wants to work at F500 companies.Some people are looking for things that F500 usually don't offer like work/life balance, no cubicles, an environment that is not rigid, etc.

BTW: Nobody owes anybody a job but if I work for you, you owe me a paycheck on time. You also owe me a lunch break/meal period. Nobody has the attitude of self entitlement more than people who head and work for Fortune500. I've seen in for years and years.

Repped

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM

11,540 posts, read 5,594,589 times
Sorry, but I'm not a phony and will not lie or BS to get a job. It may take me longer to find something if this is the way things are these days but I have my integrity. And as one who hires people - if you condone this BS - shame on you. The only thing it hurts is your business when you find out that they're full of hot air and actually can't do any of the things they told you they could.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,786,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiacook View Post
I work for a Fortune 500 company currently, but I have interviewed people and have been laid off several times in the past 10 years and been on many job searches and have 1 piece of advice: stop thinking anyone owes you a job - they don't. No matter how perfect your resume is, no matter how much you practice, no matter how how well you dress or how much you "ace" it. There no way to "earn" a job. They have to pick you. It's that simple. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.

I've come in second several times - sometimes they liked me but wanted someone with more experience, sometimes they liked me but found someone whose skills more perfectly matched what they were looking for. I always take those 2nd place finishes as a GOOD sign. It means there are jobs I'm qualified for, it means I'm interviewing well, it means people like me and want to hire me but chicken out for some reason. It means that the right job has just not come along yet.

So, stop thinking there's a way to force it - there's not. You do have to do everything right, that's a given. But doing everything right doesn't mean you'll get picked. You'll get picked when you get picked. A sense of entitlement is certainly not going to help. Good managers/interviewers can tell and will avoid you.

And in case it's not clear what I mean by sense of entitlement:
- The expectation that the job/company has to play by the same rules as the person looking for the job - they don't. They can have typos in their ads. Is that a turn off for you? Great, they'll talk to the other hundreds of folks who really need a job.
- The idea that you don't need to give examples of things you've done on your previous jobs. Did your friends get hired because they lied? They got hired because you have great examples of the work you've done that you're what, too proud to use because you think they should just hire you based on bare facts? What do you think interviews are for? How do you think they get a sense of the kind of person you are?
- The idea that it's OK to be pissed off at companies for making you jump through hoops. They make you jump through hoops because they want to make sure you're the kind of person who will jump through hoops. Many corporate jobs are about doing bull**** work because your manager or their manager asks you to. THAT'S THE JOB. If you're not willing to do it during an interview, you're not going to be able to swallow it on the job.
- The idea that a company should care about you: your personal life, how hard you've worked, what your kids need, how tough traffic was, what a bad day you're having. You should generally assume that no one gives a **** about you - it's safer. They want someone who will do whatever bull**** they ask with minimum of drama and excuses and feelings. This is the same reason they will lay you off at any moment. Companies DO NOT CARE.
- And finally, the idea that you are somehow "owed" a job - maybe because you worked for many years, that you have a great education, you're doing everything right or you just need one? You're not. This is what it means to work in a capitalist country - no one has to hire you, ever. You have to try to convince them to. And sometimes they still won't. Maybe because they didn't like your handshake or your shoes. It doesn't matter. You move on to the next one.

Sorry for the diatribe - i just see this attitude so much and it's frustrating to see people causing themselves so much angst and holding themselves back because of their attitudes towards the job search. Maybe this could help?

Right because they can't hire everyone so it's no point in taking it personal.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Repped
And my favorite rant point from the Corporate Kool Aid Diatribe: "The idea that it's OK to be pissed off at companies for making you jump through hoops. They make you jump through hoops because they want to make sure you're the kind of person who will jump through hoops. Many corporate jobs are about doing bull**** work because your manager or their manager asks you to. THAT'S THE JOB. If you're not willing to do it during an interview, you're not going to be able to swallow it on the job."

In a free country, it IS ok to be pissed off at anything you want.People get pissed off for a reason usually, not at nothing. Workers are allowed to be pissed off, that's right. Moreover, some of us are not interested in doing "bull**** work" because it's not fulfilling and that's not why we went to school and are in debt now. We want meaningful work; and yes, that's why we work for ourselves so no spiteful "then open your own business" response required. We are our own bosses! The other side of capitalism is if, I as a worker can't stand working for a Gordon Gecko, Mr. Madoff or Devil Wears Prada corporate tyrant, I can leave at will, without notice at any time and open up my own shop.
Animals in a circus jump through hoops. And we don't swallow "it" on the job. There are other professionals who do "that". LOL I believe it's called coprophagia. Google it.

I just can't stand haughtiness and inflatedness at such a level. At the end of the day, unless you are a shareholder or C-level, you're just another cog in the wheel who works under a corporate whip cracker, turning the (plantation) machine that makes the C-levels rich. You're like that indentured servant in the Medieval manor who thinks you got it made, until the lords and kings decide to go to war and burn each other's lands (which includes you obviously). Pawns on a chessboard.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,485,201 times
I think the reason why people don't interview properly because they haven't had an opportunity to do so. People who worked at a job for 20 to 30 years wouldn't interview properly today because the interview process has totally changed.

In the past when interviewing, the interviewer would look at your resume and ask you questions about your skills and the position that your applying for. You may even take a test to prove those listed skills. Today they ask questions like "what's your favorite color?" or "tell me about a time that you..."

So how can you prepare for an interview like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search