Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM

276 posts, read 446,251 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a move to New Hampshire in early Spring of 2014. We have plenty to plan with a baby on the way, finding a place to live, etc.

I don't have a job yet (I work in customer service in the financial industry), but have garnered some interest from companies in the area. Unfortunately they lost interest when I told them I wasn't going to be moving to the area for quite some time.

We have over a year's living expenses worth of funds saved, but we will not move without me having a job. Just too risky.

How long in advance before a planned move should I be looking for work? I have a general feel for things but it does seem silly to apply for a job when you won't be living there for another 8-9 months.

thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 06:59 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,633,957 times
It is too hard to say, sometimes companies take that long to get someone hired. However I would say realistically one month.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM

276 posts, read 446,251 times
that will be a busy month for sure! thanks for the reply

Old 07-24-2013, 10:05 AM

34,091 posts, read 82,447,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge1 View Post
...early Spring of 2014 ... I don't have a job yet ...
they lost interest when I told them I wasn't going to be moving to the area for quite some time.
How long in advance before a planned move should I be looking for work?
Unless you have some really arcane skill that you know is in short supply where you plan
to go there is rarely an advantage in even looking for the *career* job in advance.

Yeah, sure it happens but very, very rarely.
But like in your own experience above they'll want people who are already in the area.

You can still scout the area to see who is who and what changes are coming where...
but unless you have family, school or personal ties in the area AND you're under contract to buy
a home you aren't distinguishable from any one of the thousands of voices at the far end of a
telephone call or an email or the hundreds of unsolicited resumes they already have.

Quote:
We have over a year's living expenses worth of funds saved,
but we will not move without me having a job. Just too risky.
Having "a job" is not unreasonable... just not the top-flite career job.

Something that will pay the rent and allow you to not dip too far into the reserves...
and (most importantly) so you have the local address to apply from and when they ask
"Can you come by tomorrow and chat?" it won't require an airline ticket, motel and rental car.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-24-2013 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,092,364 times
Most places are just going to pass on you if you are out of state. Most employers are going to want you to start in two weeks or less. We would let you stretch it to three weeks but that is it. Are you going to be able to move, set up house and be ready to start a job in a couple of weeks? If not, save up another six months worth of expenses before you move and move without a job in hand. There are simply too many local people to fill CS jobs without having to go through the hastle of out-of-state hires and long lag times.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM

2,410 posts, read 5,987,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Most places are just going to pass on you if you are out of state. Most employers are going to want you to start in two weeks or less. We would let you stretch it to three weeks but that is it. Are you going to be able to move, set up house and be ready to start a job in a couple of weeks? If not, save up another six months worth of expenses before you move and move without a job in hand. There are simply too many local people to fill CS jobs without having to go through the hastle of out-of-state hires and long lag times.
Not 100% true. We are moving to Texas the end of next month. I've been applying since May for jobs. I had one interview for a job that was supposed to start training July 22nd. I told them I couldn't start then, because I was still in school and would be graduating Aug 20th. When they offered me the position they did so with a Sept 3rd start date.
Maybe it was because I'm still taking classes until Aug 22nd that they offered a later start date, but I was suprised to receive the job offer at all. I figured I wouldn't get the job because I couldn't attend their training in July.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:11 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,092,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Not 100% true. We are moving to Texas the end of next month. I've been applying since May for jobs. I had one interview for a job that was supposed to start training July 22nd. I told them I couldn't start then, because I was still in school and would be graduating Aug 20th. When they offered me the position they did so with a Sept 3rd start date.
Maybe it was because I'm still taking classes until Aug 22nd that they offered a later start date, but I was suprised to receive the job offer at all. I figured I wouldn't get the job because I couldn't attend their training in July.
I did not say it was 100% true.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:53 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,720,164 times
For Customer service jobs, I would say at most a month but on average it's 2-3 weeks. It's very smart that you are only moving with a job but it's difficult as with your job industry most Employers hire someone they can get in 2-3 weeks time frame at most. Good Luck!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:52 PM

1 posts, read 11,647 times
Now that Spring 2014 is approaching, did you ever get that job? What did you do in the process? I am moving late Summer 2014 (several months out like you once were) and would love some advice on how to conduct a long distance job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search