Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 09:26 PM

11 posts, read 50,002 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male with 9 years retail expierence and a management degree and looking to find a new job but need a good site to go on. Would like to stay in sales. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 09:30 PM

563 posts, read 1,270,106 times
I really like Indeed.com. They seem to cull all of the listings from alot of the typical sites and puts it all on theirs.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,572,540 times
A few to look at are: Glassdoor, the ever-popular LinkedIn, Indeed, Simply Hired, Snag A Job, and the usual Monster, Career Builder, etc. It is a mess out there - I wish you good luck.

When my husband was unemployed (we figured we would have to move - which we did BTW) we started looking at the classifieds of Chicago TRibune, and the Washington Post. Lots of good stuff there.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:21 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,725 times
Honestly I prefer Craigslist. They are small business' that actually look at the applications they receive. Big companies will run your application through some piece of software, usually Taleo, that simply scans your resume for keywords and assigns it a score based on how many hits it receives. Often the application is fill out some online application that takes 20 mins, even though they ask for your resume which has everything in one nice neat page.

Craigslist will be just some place down the street that's looking for someone to start in a week or two, and will actually hire someone. You have a much better chance of actually being seen by human eyes with Craigslist. And by that, I mean your application is guaranteed to be seen by human eyes. They'll ask that you email or fax a resume and cover letter. Not fill out this application which is just Taleo.

If you have to fill out an online application, your chances of getting the job are that much lower. If you're asked simply for a resume and a cover letter, that pretty much guarantees someone will actually look at your application. Taleo and other applicant screen software screen out the vast majority of candidates, many of whom, if not most, being qualified applicants.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 PM

3 posts, read 4,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
Honestly I prefer Craigslist. They are small business' that actually look at the applications they receive. Big companies will run your application through some piece of software, usually Taleo, that simply scans your resume for keywords and assigns it a score based on how many hits it receives. Often the application is fill out some online application that takes 20 mins, even though they ask for your resume which has everything in one nice neat page.

Craigslist will be just some place down the street that's looking for someone to start in a week or two, and will actually hire someone. You have a much better chance of actually being seen by human eyes with Craigslist. And by that, I mean your application is guaranteed to be seen by human eyes. They'll ask that you email or fax a resume and cover letter. Not fill out this application which is just Taleo.

If you have to fill out an online application, your chances of getting the job are that much lower. If you're asked simply for a resume and a cover letter, that pretty much guarantees someone will actually look at your application. Taleo and other applicant screen software screen out the vast majority of candidates, many of whom, if not most, being qualified applicants.
I used to think Craiglist was a good site for finding jobs, but lately, I've been getting a lot of posts which are total scams. For example, about three days ago I applied at a job for government funded research assistants, but yesterday they were asking me for my bank account and saying that their headquarters were in Spain and of course that I was selected for the job offer out thousands of other applicants. It's an obvious scam, and I've seen job posts like these very frequently throughout the day.

Sure, it's also a good viable way of finding jobs, but I would just be weary of most of the job postings that are in there even if they sound legit. Doing a bit of research about the company may save you time and effort in the long run before applying or going for an interview.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:18 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxventanaxx View Post
I am a 25 year old male with 9 years retail expierence and a management degree and looking to find a new job but need a good site to go on. Would like to stay in sales. thanks.
Snag a Job.com

Careerbuilder.com

Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureMan View Post
I really like Indeed.com. They seem to cull all of the listings from alot of the typical sites and puts it all on theirs.

My only issue with Indeed is they send you job postings 2 days after they were posted.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 AM

753 posts, read 1,482,292 times
Brainstorm a big list of places that hire people like you. Then go directly to their websites and apply. This has been the most successful way of looking for a job for me.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:54 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
I also prefer Craigslist. By-and-large the employers on Craigslist are literally looking to hire someone and have them start immediately, and you don't have to go through any tedious application process (just email over your resume). You just have to know how to differentiate from the scams and the legit ads.

BTW, I tried posting a test ad on Craigslist before. I received 63 responses (before I stopped counting) for an Administrative Assistant position and everyone put their full contact information on their resume. As I've said before on this forum, it's difficult for anyone to steal your information without your SS number.

I've never received a response from an application/resume I submitted for a job on Indeed or CareerBuilder, other than from temp agencies that waste my time/money. But I also sift through Indeed and CareerBuilder as well, since so many other people have had good experiences with those sites.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:58 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Snag a Job.com
Now Snag A Job is a site that I will say honestly sucks.

It just automatically re-posts fake positions which once you click them they simply direct you to a company's career page.

Most employers haven't even heard of it or posted a job on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search