U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:03 AM

2,138 posts, read 4,832,070 times

Advertisements

They should probably close this thread because people are just going to degrade the OP, tell him the ubiquitous "move to North Dakota or Texas" or "start your own business" garbage they spew out all the time. If people are to this point, they probably don't have enough money to start their own business or especially move (like that's cheap) People during the Great Depression sold apples, there you go. It's that or the Navy, no one else can tell you anything meaningful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:31 AM

9,856 posts, read 13,533,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetails View Post
I have a strict dad. He's 72 and treats me like I'm 15. I actualy 30.
He Won't let me become a truck driver. He wants me in a factory job
that just do not exist out here. I am 6 feet tall and skinny in frame
so the last thing I need to do is spend 30 years in a factory. I am
in debt because my father will not let me take what's out there
that I can do or even travel out of state. He currently have me
training at HR Block. This is why it seems I'm stuck living in one
spot. Because of him.
Do you want to live your own life, or do you want to live his life? Eventually you will have to make a choice. Your father won't let you travel out of state, as a 30 year old? Your father has no control over you, beyond what you let him have.

Give us a few examples of things he would say. Suppose you found a job as a truck driver and took it, what would he tell you?

Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 AM

930 posts, read 1,656,690 times
Quote:
I have a strict dad. He's 72 and treats me like I'm 15. I actualy 30.
He Won't let me become a truck driver. He wants me in a factory job
that just do not exist out here. I am 6 feet tall and skinny in frame
so the last thing I need to do is spend 30 years in a factory. I am
in debt because my father will not let me take what's out there
that I can do or even travel out of state. He currently have me
training at HR Block. This is why it seems I'm stuck living in one
spot. Because of him.
Son, you hae bigger issues than just unemployment.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:37 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,911,138 times
Quote:
While I am cool with leaving, if I did leave I probably would not
have a home to come back to.

You are 30, you do not need a home to go back to. You need to live for you, not for anyone else.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,911,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
They should probably close this thread because people are just going to degrade the OP, tell him the ubiquitous "move to North Dakota or Texas" or "start your own business" garbage they spew out all the time. If people are to this point, they probably don't have enough money to start their own business or especially move (like that's cheap) People during the Great Depression sold apples, there you go. It's that or the Navy, no one else can tell you anything meaningful.

Yes letting the OP know his options is a terrible thing. Op you are young enough to still join the Army, Air Force and Navy, I think Marines you may be too old. You could also marry a rich woman, or at least date someone who has a car and her own place. Then use her to get away.

At this point, OP you just need to take a step back and see if you really are focused correctly. Is it right to blame your parents, when you are an adult? Or is it right to be an adult and accept responsibility for you not wanting to leave home?

Old 08-31-2012, 08:25 AM

24,671 posts, read 59,204,664 times
In another current thread authored by the OP he says he just graduated school last year and is having difficulty finding a job because he's been taking care of sick parents. I wonder which story (if either) is the truth ...

Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 PM

930 posts, read 1,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In another current thread authored by the OP he says he just graduated school last year

Maybe he's been on the ten-year plan?

Old 08-31-2012, 06:21 PM

3,441 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In another current thread authored by the OP he says he just graduated school last year and is having difficulty finding a job because he's been taking care of sick parents. I wonder which story (if either) is the truth ...
He wants to be a truck driver too but advises against it in another thread.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:30 PM

67 posts, read 181,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Many times when I reply, I think of other potential viewers who may be in a similar dilemna. It may or may not be what the OP wants to hear, but perhaps it may help someone else..

Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 PM

163 posts, read 366,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
He wants to be a truck driver too but advises against it in another thread.
Actually I do want to be a truck driver. It's one of the easiest jobs to get
right now and the pay ain't bad if you stay there for years.

Last edited by Ninetails; 08-31-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or