U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 AM

5,236 posts, read 3,756,095 times

Advertisements

I have been reading some of the posts in this section about keep running across comments about fake job postings.

I must be missing something. Why are companies advertising fake jobs postings? Why are they going through fake interview processes without any intention of hiring anyone? Is it just to keep a pool of potential qualified applicants on file, or is it something else? Inquiring minds.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM

841 posts, read 1,663,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have been reading some of the posts in this section about keep running across comments about fake job postings.

I must be missing something. Why are companies advertising fake jobs postings? Why are they going through fake interview processes without any intention of hiring anyone? Is it just to keep a pool of potential qualified applicants on file, or is it something else? Inquiring minds.........

I agree with you. I wonder why when people are so overworked themselves would they waste time interviewing or just collecting resumes. Maybe it's for the future or because of some requirement. Sometimes they HAVE to list the job, even though it's already filled.

Reminds me of the hidden job market. If I need someone at my company, I would hire someone. Not hide the job.

Who has time for these games?

Old 09-08-2012, 05:15 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:

Because employers like receiving referrals from the people who are already employed at the company and have to make it look like they are giving outsiders a chance by posting positions publicly.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,806 posts, read 54,470,896 times
There are many reasons.

Making it look like the company is doing well to fool their competitors
Minimum posting requirements to get good rates at job posting websites
May have paid for a number of postings for the year, and time is running out to use them
To keep a database of qualified people in case an opening needs to be filled quickly
For stealing the best people from their competitors to help their bottom line by hurting the competitor
HR people trying to justify their positions by showing how busy they are

Old 09-08-2012, 06:35 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are many reasons.

May have paid for a number of postings for the year, and time is running out to use them
To keep a database of qualified people in case an opening needs to be filled quickly
For stealing the best people from their competitors to help their bottom line by hurting the competitor

Up until 2009, never knew it was a such thing as a "fake job posting"

Old 09-08-2012, 06:36 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,070,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There are many reasons.

Add in for recruiters, to appear to have clients so their boss does not fire them.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:47 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,883 times
Well, some job postings are scams and the people posting these jobs are trying to steal your identity. Or the "job" is really some kind of pyramid scheme, so, it's not really a job, but, a business opportunity.

Old 09-09-2012, 06:11 AM

24,671 posts, read 58,419,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knt1229 View Post
Well, some job postings are scams and the people posting these jobs are trying to steal your identity. Or the "job" is really some kind of pyramid scheme, so, it's not really a job, but, a business opportunity.
Exactly. Despite all the flutter about "fake job postings" which some posters on here seem to be rather obsessed with, the majority are in fact and as you say, identity theft scams or pyramid schemes not "fake job postings" per se.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 AM

263 posts, read 341,281 times
I've seen postings where the company posts them without the job being fully funded. For example, I was brought in for an interview and when I spoke to the hiring manager, he told me the company decided to go in another direction and they might have some other positions that were not fully worked out yet. The job I interviewed for had been posted for at least 3 months. I've also seen recruiters (not retained search firms) post positions "hoping" they could find a good candidate to present to the actual company. This is a bit misleading, especially when the company is probably not going to pay a search firm when they can find the same person on their own as sites such a Indeed and SimplyHired aggregate all these listings anyway. Finally, I've seen companies have open postings for 6+ months. I have a hard time believing that they can not find anyone for a midcareer position in a major metropolitan area. I am led to assume this posting was either not for a valid opening or the underlying business changed so that the role was no longer necessary and HR team just didn't remove it.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:25 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,041,321 times
Quote:

Some companies post jobs to collect resumes to keep on file. How often they do this? - no idea, but it definitely happens. Most jobs posted on company websites are real openings, while others may not be updated for a long period of time.

The other extreme are the fake job postings that was already mentioned here for criminal intent. When you read a job advertisement, just say to yourself if it is too good to be true, then it probably is. Websites like Craigslist and job boards are more likely to have entirely fake job postings than company websites. That observation is well known for the long-term job seeker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search