Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,535 times

Advertisements

I'm officially done applying to jobs that want anything more than an email/fax with a copy of my resume. I'm tired of Taleo trashing my applications. I'm tired of applying to large companies KNOWING they aren't going to be seen by the hiring manager because of some keyword scanning software.

When I sent in my application to that Craigslist ad, by it's very nature I knew someone was going to read it. Read my cover letter, read my resume.

Even if I'm not chosen for this position, I've applied to literally HUNDREDS of jobs where you have to spend half an hour filling out information that's already on my resume, and never gotten any response.

I've never done this position before. But by reading my cover letter, they realized that me being a human, not a college graduate, is what enables me to learn, and that I'm willing to do so.

So yea, Craigslist from now on, assuming I don't get this position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 02:40 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,170,103 times
And you know it's a legit job?

And yes, CL is a very good and underrated source for employment.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:43 PM

110 posts, read 383,623 times
Nice! That's a fast turnaround time.

I like it because it's real-time, and not spammed by recruiters like monster and some other sites are.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:44 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
I'm glad you've seen the light.

I primarily deal with Craigslist myself. I've landed interviews before as well not even two hours after I send my resume/cover letter (a few times even immediately). The only responses I've gotten through any other source is from temp agencies who waste my time.

EDIT: Actually, I did land ONE interview by using Indeed with a regular employer, but that was it.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:49 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,595 times
I'm surprised with all of the support for CL. Maybe it is just my area, but 90% of the jobs are SPAM or comission only sales. I haven't found any real jobs in my field on CL.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:53 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,126,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownUnknown View Post
I'm officially done applying to jobs that want anything more than an email/fax with a copy of my resume. I'm tired of Taleo trashing my applications. I'm tired of applying to large companies KNOWING they aren't going to be seen by the hiring manager because of some keyword scanning software.

When I sent in my application to that Craigslist ad, by it's very nature I knew someone was going to read it. Read my cover letter, read my resume.

Even if I'm not chosen for this position, I've applied to literally HUNDREDS of jobs where you have to spend half an hour filling out information that's already on my resume, and never gotten any response.

I've never done this position before. But by reading my cover letter, they realized that me being a human, not a college graduate, is what enables me to learn, and that I'm willing to do so.

So yea, Craigslist from now on, assuming I don't get this position.
Sounds like your resume matches what they are looking for and that they wish to fill this position quickly. Best of luck.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:54 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,281 times
I think the point about Craigslist jobs being legit is a big one. Before handing out any information beyond your resume, make sure the job posting is legitimate.

I have applied to jobs on CL, but never got a response other than some canned email (reviewing your resume) etc.

Though not related exactly, but from an online source, I had a phone interview within 2 hours from applying from a job in Indeed.com. I didn't get a second interview, but I was amazed at how fast it was. It was for an IT job that was contract at a medium to large financial services company.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:59 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,738,111 times
The key, essentially, is being able to differentiate from the fake job ads (the scams) and the real job ads.

It's not hard to tell if a human/honest person is writing an ad if you know what to look for.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:01 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I had to laugh when I read "taleo". Anytime I see a link with "taleo" I don't even bother. I have received more call backs from Craigslist than any other site. I *think* they were legit, but they didn't pan out. Good luck to you and I hope you get the job.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Good luck with your interview and I hope it is legitimate employment and fits your skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search