Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:51 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times

Advertisements

I have a panel interview soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips and advice on how to do well at this type of interview. I've never had a panel interview before and am kind of intimidated by the thought of four people interviewing me at once (although I know it could be worse.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Don't let them throw you. They likely will not be asking multiple questions at a time. Treat each of them as if they were the only person interviewing you...however, if you can overlap responses (such as refer to a response given to interviewer 1 while answering a question of interviewer 2) all the better.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 08:48 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
One easy way not to be intimidated is to know that only one person is really the main decision maker and it usually is pretty easy to find out who (i.e. the supervisor or manager you'd likely directly report to).

So I have a mindset that I am really just interviewing with one person and he or she has a couple of advisors with them.

If you end up in an interview with a bad cop/good cop scenerio, where 1 or 2 interviewers have aggressive questions or say negative things about your background, you should know the main decision maker may not have those same concerns and just want to know how you handle the situation (i.e. defensive or blame others-bad; retrospective, how you learned, or how you will overcome the objection-good).

Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the tips!

When you walk into a panel are you supposed to shake everyone's hands? I couldn't find anything about that when I googled panel interviews. Some advice said wait to sit until they tell you to.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:13 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
Thanks for the tips!

When you walk into a panel are you supposed to shake everyone's hands? I couldn't find anything about that when I googled panel interviews. Some advice said wait to sit until they tell you to.
Yes, you go over and shake their hands, unless they direct you to the seat first.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:19 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,513 times
Make solid eye contact with everyone on the panel when answering questions (not just the person who asked). As someone else said, suss out who the main decision-maker is.
Answer one question at a time.
Don't get flustered.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
Make solid eye contact with everyone on the panel when answering questions (not just the person who asked). As someone else said, suss out who the main decision-maker is.
Answer one question at a time.
Don't get flustered.

Very good point. Look around at everyone when answering the questions. Treat it almost like a press conference and their reporters. That might help relax you, they're interested in what you have to say.

I really believe a panel interview beats going around and talking to 3 or 4 people with one on one interviews.

Many times you will say something that one person in the group will miss but someone else will get(this is a good thing), vs. having to have individuals rule you out.

Best of luck!

Old 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,703,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
Yes, you go over and shake their hands, unless they direct you to the seat first.
And if you are seated in the room before they come in, stand up when you shake their hands.

Also, if they hand you business cards, lie them out on the table in front of you so they line up with how they are seated across from you. That can help you remember their names and positions.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses and advice. I had my interview earlier today and I think I psyched myself out a little, but overall it went okay. If I don't get this job and I need to keep interviewing, I think I will have to work on upping my professionalism. Sometimes it can be easy to let it slip during an interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search