U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

I am applying at a local computer retail store for "Computer assembly" (they sell the parts and then for a small fee build it for the person as an option)

This is my resume (not my real name/number keep in mind!)

Constructive criticism please!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 PM

7,238 posts, read 10,916,295 times
It would immediately go in the trash can if I were in charge of hiring.

There are many things wrong with that Resume...

1. Your office duties and responsibilities are too cluttered. It looks like I'm reading an essay and not a detailed list of your experience. Indentation and bullet points are your friend. Make sure to clearly distinguish from your actual title and duties/responsibilities. And only briefly summarize your duties & responsibilities relevant to the job you're applying for.

2. Where were you an employee at? What's the name of the company? What city and state was it in? I may want to do a Google search to verify the place actually exists.

3. What other skills do you have that helps you to stand out amongst the other candidates? Do you already know some programs that may be of benefits. Are you proficient in Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook/Access? Can you use Quickbooks? Can you use PhotoShop? Have you used a Switchboard of Multi-Line Telephone? Are you a very fast typer? I would never know these things based on that resume, even though the above skills may be to your benefit as I select potential candidates to interview.

4. How much education did you complete so far (besides the A+ Certification)? When did you graduate? What concentration was your degree/diploma in? What level degree/diploma (High School, Associates, Bachelors, Masters, etc.) did you receive? If you have a good GPA (greater than 3.5), how would I know that? Where are you getting your A+ Certification from? I may want to do a Google search just to briefly verify all of this information, namely just to make sure the schools exist and they're accredited.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:30 PM

4,480 posts, read 8,611,113 times
That's your whole resume? Where is your education?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:01 PM

2,120 posts, read 3,872,975 times
How can something be so short, yet so hard to follow?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,483,084 times
I would start from scratch, my friend. Unfortunately, it's not even close.

Here is something I learned in career advice class on writing my 1st resume. When you start out from scratch, google "resumes" and "A+ certification". Find several resumes and print them out. It will be a good exercise to see the resumes of other A+ Certified people. Pick 2 of your favorite layouts to use as a template for 2 resumes. When you complete 2 resumes, go over it with some friends or a mentor to clean it up.

The work is still not done at this point. When you start applying for jobs, the job descriptions may have skills or items that were left out of your resume. Customize the resume for each job with some of the same keywords. Keep the fluff and buzzwords to a minimum.

When you do all that, come back here if you want more critique.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:26 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,675,528 times
IMHO - Working on a cert means nothing. Until you have it leave it out. It''s not like going a college that takes years of work with an expected graduation date. It's a 90 min test that you can take whenever you like.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:33 AM

10,617 posts, read 13,180,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I would start from scratch, my friend. Unfortunately, it's not even close.

Here is something I learned in career advice class on writing my 1st resume. When you start out from scratch, google "resumes" and "A+ certification". Find several resumes and print them out. It will be a good exercise to see the resumes of other A+ Certified people. Pick 2 of your favorite layouts to use as a template for 2 resumes. When you complete 2 resumes, go over it with some friends or a mentor to clean it up.

The work is still not done at this point. When you start applying for jobs, the job descriptions may have skills or items that were left out of your resume. Customize the resume for each job with some of the same keywords. Keep the fluff and buzzwords to a minimum.

When you do all that, come back here if you want more critique.
Good advice. A resume should really sell your skills and accomplishments. The one you posted is incomplete. Also, A strong cover letter is vital. Both must stand out on on a smartphone in 15 seconds.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 AM

3,072 posts, read 5,330,546 times
Horrible resume, sorry OP. Please download or use a Microsoft Word Template and start over. Do you have education history from High School you can use? So add education history, and maybe another previous employer.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 AM

653 posts, read 1,553,027 times
I'll bet he's sorry he posted it...

My suggestion is to search The Internets for resumes similar for the job you want. Then adapt your story to that format. Same with cover letters.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,061 times
Thanks guys =), @ Quantum, I posted it because no harm comes out of it, now I know what I need to do to make a good resume! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or