Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 35,040 times

Advertisements

My criminal background has bean sealed from the county court. Do I need to still be worried?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:06 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,618,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holliebevineau View Post
My criminal background has bean sealed from the county court. Do I need to still be worried?

I just went through Hireright so I'm not sure...they are terrible. They called me and stated my University told them I didn't have a degree and when I called the University they told me yes they did verify it. I couldn't understand HireRight, no one spoke english..

I had to have the University send the verification to my potential employer. Thank gosh I'm still in the running.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,776,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
Typically, an offer is contingent on the background check. Everything should go smoothly as you indicate... but for people who were a bit more careless than you... this is an employer's opportunity to back out before making a mistake.
Just as an update, everything went ok. I was thinking that I would have a problem being that two of my recent past employers (from the past 8 years) were companies/firms that went out of business. But nothing...no additional requests for verification or anything. So that was good...I got the job.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 PM

5 posts, read 42,296 times
Hello Everybody,

In my resume and the form with Hire Right, I have mentioned an unpaid Internship/Project with a company more than 5 years ago. However, I do not have any contact info of the HR at that company. But I have a letter from the company on their letter head stating the project and the duration. Will that be helpful with the Hire Right guys??

Old 07-15-2014, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 34,291 times
Hello,

I am in need of some advice. I am in the running for a collector position, and ofc I have like many of you here had to go thru Hireright. I have a cpl of questions.
1. Crappy Credit- is it a total disqualifier?
2.Warrant for a 6 year old traffic fine in another city - Disqualifier
3. Employement - two of my positions were overseas where I was paid cash will this disqualify me because it cant be verified?

I find it hard to believe that this chbeck is needed for a job that pays 11.50p/h and is a collectors position for Gods sake.

Old 08-16-2014, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 33,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I just went through Hireright so I'm not sure...they are terrible. They called me and stated my University told them I didn't have a degree and when I called the University they told me yes they did verify it. I couldn't understand HireRight, no one spoke english..

I had to have the University send the verification to my potential employer. Thank gosh I'm still in the running.
Exact same thing happened here. I ordered a copy of the report and there was a "Major Discrepancy" on my Master's degree. Good thing I saw these comments because when they said they couldn't verify it, I used the exact same national clearing house they use to verify it the same day and send the certificate to my employer. I think the "major discrepancy" came because I said I received it on the 1st of the month instead of the 7th or whenever it was actually conferred. I dunno. I still can't tell what it was about. Funny thing is that I had just finished a PhD and that was open and public knowledge, so the fact that they tried to insinuate there was something suspicious about my Master's was a sad joke.

The worst part is that this "discrepancy" is now part of the data that they use to sell their services and pretend they're finding all kinds of lies on people's resumes. So when you hear that around 50% of people have discrepancies on their resumes, well a significant portion of that is due to incompetency on behalf of the background search company. This misrepresentation means HireRight isn't much more than a huge scam and given that we're a public university, they're scamming anyone who pays taxes, not just employers.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:31 PM

2 posts, read 67,369 times
Why do they ask so many questions.
Is this a normal back round check or what? I mean I worked for banks etc. I can't remember my high school phone number in Albania how will this effect my job ? I mean they offered me the job ..

Old 08-26-2014, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 67,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
Has anyone ever had a HireRight background check performed for a job? What questions does HireRight ask the applicant?
Tell your HireRight experiences...................
I just did it and they ask for your school/ work etc. According to what I'm reading about hire right is kind of scary not sure why but I'm thinking this is just a normal back round check. I mean so many jobs do backround checks. I worked for banks I'm sure those are more of a back round than this. I dunno.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 33,570 times
HireRight was a nerve-racking experience for me. I applied for a position with AT&T and after an interview and signing my job offer letter I was sent the info to fill out the HireRight form - this was about 2 weeks after my interview. It asked about my driving record for the past 7 years, jobs I've had in the past 7 years, criminal history, education, the works. The next day I got an e-mail with the address and code for my drug test, and I went to take it immediately. Throughout the next week I received about 3 different e-mails asking me to submit supporting documentation about my jobs. Finally, a week after I filled out the HireRight forms, my background check was complete and I received a call from my HR rep. This was 3 days before I was due to start working. She told me that there was a misdemeanor on my record that I failed to report. It turns out that a traffic ticket that I got 7 years ago but was dismissed was for some reason reported as a misdemeanor. I had reported the traffic ticket on my HireRight form and the HR rep agreed with me that it seemed like a mistake that I could have a misdemeanor I didn't know about for a minor traffic ticket that shows up on record as dismissed. She assured me that it shouldn't be a problem, it would just add some processing time to the paperwork. So my initial start date was cancelled and I was told I'd get a call the next week. Surely enough, the following week I received a call from my HR rep with my new start date and the news that everything had checked out. The entire process with AT&T from the interview to my first day took 5 weeks, and the HireRight process took 2 weeks.

I was able to log into HireRight afterward and view my background check results, and there were a few discrepancies - one of my jobs had a note saying the job title I gave did not match the one my boss gave when they contacted her. Another said they were unable to verify my GPA because my school does not release that sort of information. And, of course, there "MISDEMEANOR" written in huge red letters next to my traffic ticket, with "dismissed" underneath it. There was a note under this section saying that the tickets I reported matched what they found.

ADVICE: As many people have said, be honest. Report everything because they will find it. Also try not to stress out too much because it is a long and arduous process, but ultimately unless you have some really heinous criminal charges, you'll likely be fine. Communicate with the HireRight people and your HR rep - several times while filling out the form and afterward I was concerned about what a question was looking for or didn't have a paystub or W2 they requested, and I used the chat to ask them questions and explain myself ("That was my first job, I didn't know I was supposed to keep my W2 back then!") and they wrote notes in the background check report with the info I gave them. It may feel like you're drowning in bureaucratic injustice but there are humans you can reach out to and it really makes a difference.

Good luck!

Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 PM

41 posts, read 86,667 times
For anyone nervous about the process, make sure you're being your own advocate. Some of these companies doing these checks are an absolute joke, filled with idiots who are screwing with people's potential livelihoods.

I had an offer on the table for a tech job 8 years ago, but the HR person told me there was an issue that the screening company found. It turns out their criminal background checked turned up an assault charge on my record. The pathetic thing is that they didn't bother to notice that the person doing the assaulting had a different middle name and was 10+ years younger, which I was able to verify online in a matter of minutes that same night. The clowns sent me an apology letter and I got the job with no further issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search