U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 PM

215 posts, read 1,313,137 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a HireRight background check performed for a job? What questions does HireRight ask the applicant?
Tell your HireRight experiences...................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
Yes. They get your resume data (or application data) as you submitted to the original company.

Then they ask you for HR contacts at each company via a web form. They also ask for Education - dates and degrees and credits. Some fields are optional such as credit hours.

Their report lists the dates/job titles from the application and then next to it gives the data that was verified. If job title is slightly different they will note this and then specify if HR rep said job title means the same thing.

They contact HR for verification of start/end dates and job title. They also will verify pay if they are able and they supply this to the hiring company.

If they cannot get an answer within 24-48 hrs from HR or the college....they will notify you that you must supply proof. You need either first/last paystub, 1099s, W2s for proof of employment(start and end dates). For school you need either transcripts or degree.
If you dont give this stuff quickly they might deem the item as "not verified". It can be very stressful. If your HR contact does not answer the phone when they first call and does not return they call the same day, they might immediately force you to get the paystubs. If you worked somewhere many years, it is not easy to find FIRST paystub as well as last. But W2s might be easier to find.

If you send pay stubs or W2s, they will report the dollar amt and dates and employer on their report.

HIRE RIGHT will give you a free copy of their report. Ask them. Remember the contact tel# and your ID# for the verification they are doing. (They tell you to put this on the documents you send to them.). You contact their 800# and ask for a copy of the report.

They also check local, state criminal records in all areas you have lived and work in past 10 years or so. Federal check for criminal also, I think. they show all agencies checked on the report. There are many of them.

They also check credit and note in the report details of balances on mortage and credit cards and loans.

They also give the STATE and YEAR where your Social Security Number was issued

Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM

215 posts, read 1,313,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Yes. They get your resume data (or application data) as you submitted to the original company.

Then they ask you for HR contacts at each company via a web form. They also ask for Education - dates and degrees and credits. Some fields are optional such as credit hours.

Their report lists the dates/job titles from the application and then next to it gives the data that was verified. If job title is slightly different they will note this and then specify if HR rep said job title means the same thing.

They contact HR for verification of start/end dates and job title. They also will verify pay if they are able and they supply this to the hiring company.

If they cannot get an answer within 24-48 hrs from HR or the college....they will notify you that you must supply proof. You need either first/last paystub, 1099s, W2s for proof of employment(start and end dates). For school you need either transcripts or degree.
If you dont give this stuff quickly they might deem the item as "not verified". It can be very stressful. If your HR contact does not answer the phone when they first call and does not return they call the same day, they might immediately force you to get the paystubs. If you worked somewhere many years, it is not easy to find FIRST paystub as well as last. But W2s might be easier to find.

If you send pay stubs or W2s, they will report the dollar amt and dates and employer on their report.

HIRE RIGHT will give you a free copy of their report. Ask them. Remember the contact tel# and your ID# for the verification they are doing. (They tell you to put this on the documents you send to them.). You contact their 800# and ask for a copy of the report.

They also check local, state criminal records in all areas you have lived and work in past 10 years or so. Federal check for criminal also, I think. they show all agencies checked on the report. There are many of them.

They also check credit and note in the report details of balances on mortage and credit cards and loans.

They also give the STATE and YEAR where your Social Security Number was issued
THanks!
Will Criminal Charges that have been dismissed keep you from getting the position?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:23 AM

15,353 posts, read 17,594,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
THanks!
Will Criminal Charges that have been dismissed keep you from getting the position?
I don't know if non-convictions even show up. I think they ask you you have been convicted, but I don't remember. I think they only check prior 7 years for that stuff.

You might google Hire Right and the other details you are looking for. There is lots of info if you are specific enough. They also have their own web site and maybe they have insight.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 604,993 times
Default HireRight Inc.

HireRight, Inc has been outsourcing employment verifications for years. Most applicants are completely unaware of this fact, as their personal information (inclusive of finanicial info) is being sent to the Philippines. In this present economy, this is nothing short of unpatriotic. In addition, foreigners do not have a sense our way of life. This leads to many highly irritated former employers who are reluctant to provide employment verifications. Sadly, I worked there for years. If I were to be in need of a background screening firm, this would be my LAST choice.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 604,993 times
As for Criminal Records, only Convictions would be reflective. Just an FYI.....

Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM

7,422 posts, read 13,706,702 times
my current job used hireright for my background check. i am still in touch with my last employer and she said they called her about someone else (totally random person not another former employee) and never called about me. i still passed though. they didn't ask me for proof that i worked there, or at any of the places i worked that are gone now. they did ask for proof that i graduated high school though!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 601,081 times
Angry HireRight is a scam

Unfortunately I may lose out on a job opportunity due to HireRight. I only gave them the last three employers worth of info (I'm 52, so I'm not going to open that can of worms by giving them my whole employment history). They DON'T call former employers, or do anything else that entails a real investigation. I've worked for a private investigations firm in the past who specialized in things like Backgrounds, skip-trace, etc., so I know how they are done. In my case one of my listed employers was myself. I worked for a friend and he paid me contract work for QA and IT management in his business. I was there six months and he issued a 1099 for the work I performed. HireRight couldn't understand that I was self-employed (it "doesn't compute" with them as people aren't running a background investigation, the company is simply doing an automated report assembly off a form you fill out both in writing and online). In order to verify my employment, they required some additional information, which I supplied via a 1099. The 1099 states that the company in question paid me money during that year as income. Now HireRight wants a ""professionally prepared tax-return". WTF? I do my own tax returns via turbotax, which won't make them happy. A tax return won't show your income source unless you have only one. I had three contracts I worked under that year. What it DOES show is my private financials, which I'm NOT going to supply them. As it is, the 1099 I sent in had the amount redacted. I have supplied them with names of people they can talk to at that business, phone numbers and email addresses. Falsifying a 1099 either on the issuers or suppliers side is a FELONY. I'm not going to break the law, nor is the company I worked for simply to lie on my resume. The previous contract I worked on was at a National Security Agreement holder, and in that job I was also vetted by the TSA through eQIP to work on a product that fell under the auspices of the FAA. I don't have a problem with my background.

HireRight does not do investigations. They can't tell you any more than an Experian, TRW and deep LexisNexis report can. You can get those cheaper, faster and with greater detail than HireRight supplies. In a REAL background investigations firm, those reports are then handed off to AN INVESTIGATOR who then works the case to verify and get additional details. HireRight doesn't use investigators, they just assemble reports. When you have been self-employed, HR people HATE you as they can't verify what you did (which is HR's line of thinking - every statement you make is a lie which has to be proven a lie in order to disqualify you). Companies who are using this joke of a "service" are being ripped off. THERE IS NO INVESTIGATION. THERE ARE NO PHONE CALLS. IT'S JUST A MACHINE THAT IS PROCESSING REPORTS FROM COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE SOURCES.

If this job opportunity is lost I'm going to be really pissed. I've worked hard to keep clean record, and have proven in the past that I'm trustworthy to US government vendors. Do NOT use these jokers!

Old 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 601,081 times
In addition, the whole request for past pay info is another WTF? moment. I DO NOT LIST WHAT MY FORMER JOBS PAID, PERIOD. The only rationale a company has for asking this is: 1) They want to see whether they an rip you off on salary, 2) They don't know what the hell they are doing regarding compensation so they rather trust someone else's assessment of your worth rather than their own, and 3) they want to see a predictable income path, with no losses or big gains. It makes you a "safer" bet as you haven't had to take a lower-paying job or were overcompensated at a position which might make you uppity. If they want my financials, they better come with a court-order to get them. Remember if you give that information out, HR has it and it is part of the required information to build a fake financial history in order to defraud. That's why HR is such a popular place to steal data and HR is a sieve for information. There are sites like dbloss (dot) org that show the amounts of data stolen from companies and it's horrifying. Human Resources Canada (a huge Canadian firm) lost a portable hard drive with the names, addresses, phone numbers **social ID numbers** etc. for multiple years for 585,000 people. The FIRST lawsuit filed is for $600 million Canadian.

HR is NOT your friend.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:05 PM

12,562 posts, read 15,036,884 times
I had one done.

SS number, criminal background check (past 7 years), residence check (last 3 addresses), past 3 jobs and degree/educational checks were completed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or