U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM

70 posts, read 218,547 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

About 2 months ago I quit my job. Yes, I know it may not have been the best idea (financially) in this economy. However, I had to leave to save my sanity. I worked for this passive-aggressive boss who found ways to put me down and demean mine and my team's work. Ironically, she also took on extra projects that my team couldn't handle, forcing us to work late on a regular basis. My depression grew and my confidence dwindled so low that I couldn't even sell myself on job interviews. I had been saving money and ended up with enough to last me at least 10 months. I decided I needed a break.

Anyway, I enjoyed doing nothing for a month, then I traveled for a few weeks. Now, I'm back home and ready to work again. I also enrolled in a certificate program to keep my brain fresh. When I apply for new jobs, should I point out that I left or not? Obviously, I won't get into the mental anguish reasons. I was thinking about writing something like "I recently left my last job to travel and pursue a certificate program."

Any input or tips you can give are appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 06:17 PM

3,735 posts, read 4,131,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
When I apply for new jobs, should I point out that I left or not?
No. Don't say anything about quitting unless you absolutely have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
I was thinking about writing something like "I recently left my last job to travel and pursue a certificate program."
I would omit anything about quitting to travel. It makes you sound flaky.

Also, quitting a job for a certificate that takes 2 months to get doesn't make sense either. They're not going to believe that's why you left. Perhaps if you left to study something that takes a year or more, but not 2 months.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:05 PM

4,402 posts, read 12,431,927 times
Or to study something for a career change....

Old 10-12-2012, 03:10 AM

15,850 posts, read 28,188,754 times
"Taking care of a family situation that is now well resolved."

Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,383,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Taking care of a family situation that is now well resolved."
That's what I have used before, and it was true.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:16 AM

70 posts, read 218,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's what I have used before, and it was true.
Thanks for your suggestions, everyone! I did spend some time taking care of my nephew because my sister was recovering from a major surgery - so I guess I could use this explanation.

I had a phone interview before I read these responses and the recruiter basically sneered when I told her I took time off. Luckily, I wasn't all that interested in the position so I don't care if I get a call back or not. However, I find it sad that taking a break from working is looked down upon. I feel refreshed and more motivated than I did while working. I almost wonder if it's better to say I was laid off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search