Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,392,296 times

Advertisements

I got an offer for a sales job but it was even weaker than I expected. I almost feel insulted.

I have over 5 years in the industry and as proven seller.

1. 20% reduction in base
2. Better commission, but they don't pay you commissions until after your first large sale, no comm. on first sales- this is ridiculous IMO I have never heard of that.
3. The health care plan is pretty bad- It's Kaiser, unless someone can tell me a positive about Kaiser no thanks. I understand the company is small so they can afford but making me pay 50% of my cost for sub par insurance yikes. Is this the norm? My last large employer paid 80%
4. 1 week PTO only after being there 6 months, yikes
5. No reimburse for expenses at all, no cell, no gas, nothing.
6. 90 day probationary period. This concerns me because if it doesn't work out I am afraid I am going to jeopardize my UI. I am motivated but not desperate.

My UI runs through Dec at this point, and while I want to get back to work this is really low. Sure I know how to counter, frankly I have never had too, but if I were to take this offer I wouldn't plan on staying there long unless the commissions really pay, but I have had so many companies lie to me about the OTE that I don't trust anyone that says if you do this you will make this, this ain't my first rodeo.

I almost thinking of telling them I need time to think about and see what happens with the election and see if my preferred future employers come back to me with a better offer.

Just curious what would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 02:23 PM

30,122 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I got an offer for a sales job but it was even weaker than I expected. I almost feel insulted.

I have over 5 years in the industry and as proven seller.

1. 20% reduction in base
2. Better commission, but they don't pay you commissions until after your first large sale, no comm. on first sales- this is ridiculous IMO I have never heard of that.
3. The health care plan is pretty bad- It's Kaiser, unless someone can tell me a positive about Kaiser no thanks. I understand the company is small so they can afford but making me pay 50% of my cost for sub par insurance yikes. Is this the norm? My last large employer paid 80%
4. 1 week PTO only after being there 6 months, yikes
5. No reimburse for expenses at all, no cell, no gas, nothing.
6. 90 day probationary period. This concerns me because if it doesn't work out I am afraid I am going to jeopardize my UI. I am motivated but not desperate.

My UI runs through Dec at this point, and while I want to get back to work this is really low. Sure I know how to counter, frankly I have never had too, but if I were to take this offer I wouldn't plan on staying there long unless the commissions really pay, but I have had so many companies lie to me about the OTE that I don't trust anyone that says if you do this you will make this, this ain't my first rodeo.

I almost thinking of telling them I need time to think about and see what happens with the election and see if my preferred future employers come back to me with a better offer.

Just curious what would you do?
I'm not a sales person, I just never had it in me but NO commission on your sales until you land a large one? That sounds ridiculous. Is that the norm? If so, why would anyone be in sales? They can't all be "large" sales.

Probationary period is normal, I think. It's a risk you take.

No reimbursement, do sales job typically reimburse?

How much is the salary, that is, before you land your "large" sale? Is it even worth it?

I have a potential for a job, (have to pass a test and do orientation if I go that way), the pay is really pathetic and it requires a lot of driving but there is no reimbursement for the gas. Um...with what they want to pay, I won't have much left over at all after paying for gas. Let's not even discuss maintenence on the vehicle for driving that much each week.

If I were you, I would ask for some time to think about it. You don't want to say, "until after the election", just ask them for some time to think about it.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I'm not a sales person, I just never had it in me but NO commission on your sales until you land a large one? That sounds ridiculous. Is that the norm? If so, why would anyone be in sales? They can't all be "large" sales.

Probationary period is normal, I think. It's a risk you take.

No reimbursement, do sales job typically reimburse?

How much is the salary, that is, before you land your "large" sale? Is it even worth it?

I have a potential for a job, (have to pass a test and do orientation if I go that way), the pay is really pathetic and it requires a lot of driving but there is no reimbursement for the gas. Um...with what they want to pay, I won't have much left over at all after paying for gas. Let's not even discuss maintenence on the vehicle for driving that much each week.

If I were you, I would ask for some time to think about it. You don't want to say, "until after the election", just ask them for some time to think about it.
Hey thanks for taking for the feedback I am hoping some others will chime in.

No comm. on the first sale is unheard of. I have been in sales 14 years. What I think they are doing is funding my salary by not paying me comm. on 1st sale.

Yeah I totally understand the probationary. I need to ask them does that mean no insurance for 90 days then since they didn't spell it out.

Every sales job I have ever worked reimburses for bare minimum mileage from office to customer and 1/2 cell phone bill. The better companies reimburse for taking clients to lunch and parking expenses as well, which can be really high in downtown areas.

The salary is 40k when I made 50k at previous job, so that's a big hit. I don't work in sales for salary but they are just asking me to give so much without much in return. I mean really no PTO until you have been there for 6 months, c'mon.

It's sad because I feel like telling them you give a ridiculous personality profile test, run a background check on me for this kind of offer really? And then they keep asking we want to make sure you really want to be here for awhile. Well you aren't being congruent My future employer you want loyalty and don't want to pay for it. Of course I am going to bail at the first thing that comes along which is better.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,087,188 times
Counteroffer, then walk if no love.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Counteroffer, then walk if no love.
Yeah that's what I was planning. I know the caliber of salespeople they have and only one has my skill set the rest are far less experience/qualified.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Quote:
Yeah that's what I was planning. I know the caliber of salespeople they have and only one has my skill set the rest are far less experience/qualified.
Sounds like there is a good reason for this.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Sounds like there is a good reason for this.
Could you clarify not sure I follow?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,058,004 times
The offer stinks. There is no candy coating it. If you win a counteroffer, you will be at the high end of the salary range. It leaves little room for salary increases and promotions. If you run the risk of being 6 months unemployed, I would still take it though.

Employers avoid applicants that have been out of work for extended periods of time. The situation gets more dire with each month, then you will wish that you had taken the paycut. As the months pass by, you will have less leverage for salary negotiation. After a year of employment, it will be easier to find a new job. The new employers will naturally offer you more money to lure you away from a current job. A new employer would likely match the $50k base and commissions, because of your salary history.

At the new job, I would try to move into a role of sales trainer over these lower skilled guys. The additional responsibility will pay dividends in the next job hunt.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Quote:
Could you clarify not sure I follow?
If they are make crappy offers to people maybe all they can get are the young and inexperienced to work for them.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If they are make crappy offers to people maybe all they can get are the young and inexperienced to work for them.
Thanks for clarifying that's what I thought you were getting at.

My logic is this is a sales job which requires a high degree of technical apptitiude so pay me accordingly. If I were selling widgets I would have no issue with this offer. Maybe I will go sell widgets
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search