Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,410,470 times

Advertisements

before hiring someone.

I was offered a job, then pretty much called a liar. they didn't use the word liar but they said it was a "red flag" that they didn't know about my next semester schedule, that I found out about the day prior to being offered the job. Isn't it a given that a students schedule changes with every new semester? Because of that, they revoked the offer. I made it loud and clear on the app, resume and 3 interviews they put me through (for a 9$ an hour job, mind you), that I'm a student. they also wanted me to start working the day after they made the offer, so they didn't even take into consideration anything I have going on before I start a new job. I said I can start Monday which is still less than a week after the offer was made. I guess I dodged a bullet there so I'm sort of relieved that they "fired" me. I'm just more hurt that they implied that I'm a liar and that they didn't really listen to me.

second scenario which I'm less peeved about because I get it, but its still annoying. My experience level is pretty clear on my job app/resumes and is even discussed in interviews. so when I interview for jobs offering "on the job training" or even get called in for an interview despite whatever experience level an employer is looking for, I don't get the job due to my "lack of experience". Are they telling the truth or is it possibly something else that they don't feel comfortable divulging?

I have a job already so a new job isn't urgent but I hate the hours at my current job and would like a little bit better pay, and better hours. Most importantly, I just want a job that'll get my foot in the door for my career that I hope to start while I finish my last semester or upon graduation. so I'm just a frustrated job seeker, like everyone else on this board and wish employers would read my application before wasting my time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:36 PM

244 posts, read 390,450 times
I have applied to well over 100 places for work and have only gotten 2 call backs.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post
I have applied to well over 100 places for work and have only gotten 2 call backs.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Rockford View Post

For me in 2012 it's been 9 call backs for every 85 applications.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:57 PM

266 posts, read 402,805 times
OP: Well, sounds like this was a disorganized company anyway. I say look at it as them doing you a favor by sparing you the additional hassle you would've gone through as their employee.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
OP: Well, sounds like this was a disorganized company anyway. I say look at it as them doing you a favor by sparing you the additional hassle you would've gone through as their employee.
Ya I realize that. so I'm glad that I dodged a bullet. Its just the implication that I'm a liar and the run around they gave me was very frustrating. Not to mention that I had already put in my resignation at my current job, which thankfully they let me revoke so I still have a job. My blood almost boiled out my body when she said "we need someone more flexible that'll work around our hours, not the other way around" as if I was asking for her to work around my social life. I asked her to work around school, nothing else. I was perfectly fine not getting to see my boyfriend ever (or anyone else I care about for that matter) cause of the hours she was going to schedule me (not really but I needed the experience and he understood so I planned to suck it up). And any employee that'll drop out of school to be more flexible for a 9$ hour job is a bigger red flag to me.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:18 PM

266 posts, read 402,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir86 View Post
Ya I realize that. so I'm glad that I dodged a bullet. Its just the implication that I'm a liar and the run around they gave me was very frustrating. Not to mention that I had already put in my resignation at my current job, which thankfully they let me revoke so I still have a job. My blood almost boiled out my body when she said "we need someone more flexible that'll work around our hours, not the other way around" as if I was asking for her to work around my social life. I asked her to work around school, nothing else. I was perfectly fine not getting to see my boyfriend ever (or anyone else I care about for that matter) cause of the hours she was going to schedule me (not really but I needed the experience and he understood so I planned to suck it up). And any employee that'll drop out of school to be more flexible for a 9$ hour job is a bigger red flag to me.
I agree with you, very frustrating to have your integrity questioned when you are just trying to do what you need to do. Sounds very arrogant of her - even the wording. Some people are just airheads, honestly. Screwy employers are a dime a dozen. People just have to deal with it the best they can. And you did all you could by informing them that you are in fact a student. So nothing to worry about on your end, just have to try to brush it off and not take it personally.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
For me in 2012 it's been 9 call backs for every 85 applications.
Are you currently working or just searching around for something better?

You've been on this forum for awhile.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliza View Post
I agree with you, very frustrating to have your integrity questioned when you are just trying to do what you need to do. Sounds very arrogant of her - even the wording. Some people are just airheads, honestly. Screwy employers are a dime a dozen. People just have to deal with it the best they can. And you did all you could by informing them that you are in fact a student. So nothing to worry about on your end, just have to try to brush it off and not take it personally.
ya, its crazy the way people manage their businesses! and they wonder why they can't find good hard employees. Well duh, take a look around. lol.

I am still curious about what employers mean when they say I don't have enough experience after job interviews where they saw my experience on my app/resume. What is that about?

Also, I just noticed a place I had an interview at a couple months ago is hiring again. I'll give them a call and ask them if they would consider me.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Are you currently working or just searching around for something better?

You've been on this forum for awhile.

2nd Interview on Monday while another company is checking my references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search