Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 PM

103 posts, read 167,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Emigrations made a good point about references. I always make it available upon request.

If you apply to 20 positions a week, it's going to be a pain in the butt. They will be constantly interrupted at work. They will eventually stop answering. Then, you will be wondering why HR has been unable to get contact. Meanwhile, your reference is lying to you about answering every phone call.

I would only include references, if they have professional relationship with the company such as a vendor or client. If they are friends or have good contacts with the company, that is another exception. On my last job, my interviewer happened to know all 3 references. If you stay in the same industry for several years, you meet the same people again and again.
Ok I have completed my resume based on all of your guys tips and advice and based on the type of field I am trying to get in. So check it out and let me know what you guys think. This is the best I could come up with. Mind you im only 20 years old

[LEFT][LEFT] Name[/LEFT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][LEFT] Adress[/LEFT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][LEFT] Phone, Email[/LEFT][/LEFT]
DEFINING STATEMENT____________________________________ __
Resolution-oriented professional driven to efficient leveraging of technology to enhance strategic business objectives. I have expertise in a wide variety of platforms, applications, and technologies, delivering lasting resolutions to critical business problems. I develop and maintain excellent client relationships and provide extensive user education for problem management purposes.
HIGHLIGHTS_________________________________________________
• Experience working with Microsoft Office products and Windows XP, Vista, 7,8, Server 2012
• 4+ Years working with computer software and hardware, networking, and pc technical support
• Recognized for long hours, commitment to customers, and attention to detail, professionalism, and follow-up.

EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE__________________________________

Computer Management & Networking/IT Support December 2010 to Present
****, Visalia, CA
• Implemented remote support saving the company over 300+ hours of downtime and saved them over $5,000 annually in tech support.
• Trained and managed 5 employees and achieved significant improvements in their productivity.
• Responsible for networking computer using DHCP and a server running Windows Server 2010
• Analyzed equipment performance records in order to determine the need for repair and replacement.
• Planned, coordinated, and implemented network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware.
• Diagnosed hardware and software problems, and replaced defective components.
• Set up network using Ethernet topology, spliced cables, laid cables and installed computers.

Lead Satellite Technician February 2010 to February 2012
****, Visalia, CA
• Discovered and helped implement new installation techniques which increased productivity by 50% and created savings for the company in excess of $30,000 annually
• Oversaw 20+ Technicians to ensure job was done in fast and efficiently, as well as train them proper installation techniques and great customer service that helped bring in new customer which brought in over $100,000 of additional revenue.
• Installed satellites, receivers and additional equipment as well as run all wiring and cabling to proper specifications while ensuring proper customer satisfaction.
• Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot creatively, solve problems effectively, and make informed decisions while successfully guiding others through constant change

Temporary Packaging Line Worker/Shred Line Attendant January 2009 to February 2010
****, Tulare, CA
• Operated all equipment including Paperwork, Prime Machines, Glue/ Tape Machines, Cheese Loaf Labelers, Dominoe / Videojet printers, case labelers and Scale Fusion systems.
• Worked on Sanitation crew which was responsible for complete dismantling, cleaning, reinstalling and sanitizing all equipment at end of each production date to ensure a clean sanitary food safe environment.
• Troubleshoot and performed general maintenance tasks to equipment in packaging department to prevent unnecessary downtime.
TECHNICAL SKILLS ________
• Network Administration -Windows NT/XP/Vista/7/8
• Hardware/Software Troubleshooting -Linux
• Server LAN/WAN Network Optimization -TCP/IP
• Printer Hardware Support -Macintosh
• Bilingual in Spanish -LAN/WAN/DHCP/SMTP/DNS/VoIP/FTP
• Server 2010/2012 -SQL/HTML
-Routers/Switches/Firewalls/Access Servers

CERTIFICATIONS _
Comptia A+ Certified Technician – Emphasis on Microsoft Windows and DOS 2012

EDUCATION ___________________________
Computer Information & Technology- GPA 3.5 Currently Attending
Ivy Bridge College, Ohio (Online Course) - Currently taking online courses working towards an A.A.
H.S., General Education 2009
Tulare Western, Tulare, CA - Received High School Diploma
PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES________________________________
References furnished upon request.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 12:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixa241 View Post
Ok I have completed my resume based on all of your guys tips and advice and based on the type of field I am trying to get in. So check it out and let me know what you guys think. This is the best I could come up with. Mind you im only 20 years old

[LEFT][LEFT] Name[/LEFT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][LEFT] Adress[/LEFT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][LEFT] Phone, Email[/LEFT][/LEFT]
DEFINING STATEMENT____________________________________ __
Resolution-oriented professional driven to efficient leveraging of technology to enhance strategic business objectives. I have expertise in a wide variety of platforms, applications, and technologies, delivering lasting resolutions to critical business problems. I develop and maintain excellent client relationships and provide extensive user education for problem management purposes.
HIGHLIGHTS_________________________________________________
Experience working with Microsoft Office products and Windows XP, Vista, 7,8, Server 2012
4+ Years working with computer software and hardware, networking, and pc technical support
Recognized for long hours, commitment to customers, and attention to detail, professionalism, and follow-up.

EMPLOYMENT EXPERIENCE__________________________________

Computer Management & Networking/IT Support December 2010 to Present
****, Visalia, CA
• Implemented remote support saving the company over 300+ hours of downtime and saved them over $5,000 annually in tech support.
• Trained and managed 5 employees and achieved significant improvements in their productivity.
• Responsible for networking computer using DHCP and a server running Windows Server 2010
• Analyzed equipment performance records in order to determine the need for repair and replacement.
• Planned, coordinated, and implemented network security measures in order to protect data, software, and hardware.
• Diagnosed hardware and software problems, and replaced defective components.
• Set up network using Ethernet topology, spliced cables, laid cables and installed computers.

Lead Satellite Technician February 2010 to February 2012
****, Visalia, CA
Discovered and helped implement new installation techniques which increased productivity by 50% and created savings for the company in excess of $30,000 annually
Oversaw 20+ Technicians to ensure job was done in fast and efficiently, as well as train them proper installation techniques and great customer service that helped bring in new customer which brought in over $100,000 of additional revenue.
Installed satellites, receivers and additional equipment as well as run all wiring and cabling to proper specifications while ensuring proper customer satisfaction.
Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot creatively, solve problems effectively, and make informed decisions while successfully guiding others through constant change

Temporary Packaging Line Worker/Shred Line Attendant January 2009 to February 2010
****, Tulare, CA
Operated all equipment including Paperwork, Prime Machines, Glue/ Tape Machines, Cheese Loaf Labelers, Dominoe / Videojet printers, case labelers and Scale Fusion systems.
Worked on Sanitation crew which was responsible for complete dismantling, cleaning, reinstalling and sanitizing all equipment at end of each production date to ensure a clean sanitary food safe environment.
Troubleshoot and performed general maintenance tasks to equipment in packaging department to prevent unnecessary downtime.
TECHNICAL SKILLS ________
Network Administration -Windows NT/XP/Vista/7/8
Hardware/Software Troubleshooting -Linux
Server LAN/WAN Network Optimization -TCP/IP
Printer Hardware Support -Macintosh
Bilingual in Spanish -LAN/WAN/DHCP/SMTP/DNS/VoIP/FTP
Server 2010/2012 -SQL/HTML
-Routers/Switches/Firewalls/Access Servers

CERTIFICATIONS _
Comptia A+ Certified Technician – Emphasis on Microsoft Windows and DOS 2012

EDUCATION ___________________________
Computer Information & Technology- GPA 3.5 Currently Attending
Ivy Bridge College, Ohio (Online Course) - Currently taking online courses working towards an A.A.
H.S., General Education 2009
Tulare Western, Tulare, CA - Received High School Diploma
PROFESSIONAL REFERENCES________________________________
References furnished upon request.
Much better, but remove the highlights section. The technical stuff needs to go down in the technical skills section. Remove the following statement. It is unnecessary and is another implicit type of thing unless you have documentation that you can back up and corroborate it with.

"Recognized for long hours, commitment to customers, and attention to detail, professionalism, and follow-up."

Also, when I quote the resume, it is a total mess with formatting. Spend half an hour and develop a cleanly formatted plain text resume. Many websites will have you submit a resume in a text box, and tags/formatting get wrecked there. IMO, you should have a generic or stock master resume, a plain text version of the stock (both of those should be saved locally and to a Google drive or something offsite), and working copies of the stock/plain text that you use for each job. I'd review the stock/master resume templates every three months unless there is a drastic change in circumstances.

If you're wanting to get into a net/sysadmin role, I hope you are working at a company where you can shadow and get experience in these roles. It is tough to transition out of a call center into a professional IT role. You need to decide what area you want to pursue (security, Cisco, Windows, *NIX, etc) and go down a certification road, and barrel down hard on that - academic education is not quite as important as relevant experience with specific products and technologies. If you're interested in networking, I'd study for CCENT, take that, take the other exam and make CCNA, then go further. Supplement that networking knowledge with some basic security certs (Sec+, GSEC) and you have a really good base for a career.

It sounds like you are going down the right road. If you'd like for me to evaluate your resume, just send me a DM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search