U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 14,347 times

Advertisements

I interviewed the week before last on Friday. I remember them saying a week or two to hear back.

I sent an email simply:

Hello, what is the status of my application?

Got a prompt response:

As we mentioned in your interview, we anticipated needing a couple weeks post-interviews to firm up our decision. We still hope to stick to that.

Thanks for your patience!

Kind of hard to tell tone through an email but it does seem like I annoyed them. Does it come across that way for anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM

16,062 posts, read 12,837,023 times
I would ask, too. But in a nicer way.

Either call and ask if they have made a decision yet.

Or send an email saying you have been interviewed and haven't heard back yet. You would like to inquire about the status.

"Hello, what is the status of my application" sounds pushy and unprofessional. I even would reconsider if I would have made the decision to hire you already.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 14,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

"Hello, what is the status of my application" sounds pushy and unprofessional. I even would reconsider if I would have made the decision to hire you already.

My first job ever and I blew it. FML.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM

18,838 posts, read 9,629,862 times
Yes. if you don't hear from the HR or the hiring manager, you should just move on.

Personally I move on as soon as the interview is over and I send over the thank you letter.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 PM

2,138 posts, read 4,788,144 times
No matter what you do or say you did, people on this message board will tell you its wrong. You are fine, a simple email past quoted expected time frame is not going to disregard your application.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:13 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,192,686 times
but i do think the wording was off, like another reply said. You sound pushy, a bit arrogant, and like getting back to you is the only thing they have to do. You have to use every opportunity to sell yourself so something like this is what I would have done (I know it sounds kiss-a__ but hey, it has worked!): "Dear ___ , I really enjoyed meeting with you and learning more about your company. Please let me know if there is anything else you need from me as you make your decision. I would be thrilled with an opportunity to work for company xyz." That way, they will probably respond to you about where they are in the process and you didn't really have to ask for a "status update" - all you did was re-emphasize your enthusiasm for the position.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM

10,077 posts, read 14,022,562 times
Everyone and that includes me needs to realize when we post, text, e-mail, blog no on can read the tone even with those cute smiley faces and LOL's. So you can see firsthand here that they read the tone of your e-mail differently than I did. I am direct and used to dealing with direct people so I have no problem with your e-mail but some do. See the point?

I thought it was rude of a recruiter when I sent him a very nice e-mail asking about an update and re-selling myself and I got back "still evaluating". Now to even me that is rude. This isn't a text dumbo you can take the time to make a complete sentence at least. But then again maybe he thinks he is being considerate and efficient and not wasting my time with a drawn out response who knows?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:36 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,679,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIscrewedup View Post
I interviewed the week before last on Friday. I remember them saying a week or two to hear back.

I sent an email simply:

Hello, what is the status of my application?

Got a prompt response:

As we mentioned in your interview, we anticipated needing a couple weeks post-interviews to firm up our decision. We still hope to stick to that.

Thanks for your patience!

Kind of hard to tell tone through an email but it does seem like I annoyed them. Does it come across that way for anyone else?
Well next time wait until it is well past the time frame that they gave you.

In this case they said a week or two and you contacted them too soon. You should have waited until they were past the two week mark.

You also need to word your emails better. Say something like you're inquiring to see if a decision has been made. And you include a "thank you" when you ask.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:00 AM

8,727 posts, read 7,682,608 times
If it makes you feel any better, given my experience with the job hunt and interviews, they probably weren't gonna hire you anyway.

Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM

2,681 posts, read 6,266,913 times
Wink No...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IthinkIscrewedup View Post
My first job ever and I blew it. FML.
You didn't blow anything...relax and wait...
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search