Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2012, 09:57 AM

3 posts, read 19,388 times

Advertisements

I took a couple of jobs that I did not like so as a result I do not list them on my resume. They were 3-months jobs and I was the one leaving the company. Will the background check find out about these short-term jobs and will that look bad for me because I did not include on my resume? Or they only go after the jobs you listed in your resume?

Even if they find out, can you just say that you did not include because it was a short term position without relevance to your career?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 10:02 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,107,524 times
Jobs not relevant to the position being applied for can be left off of a resume.

The usual civilian background check typically just looks at credit history, driving history, criminal convictions, etc. and is not in depth at all, so don't worry about it.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 AM
YAZ

7,697 posts, read 14,014,486 times
They'll only check out what you listed.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Jobs not relevant to the position being applied for can be left off of a resume.

The usual civilian background check typically just looks at credit history, driving history, criminal convictions, etc. and is not in depth at all, so don't worry about it.
Thanks, Joe. The jobs are in the same area. I am talking about that background check companies do nowadays where they check everything you said in your resume. I wonder if they also check what you did not say. I mean, had I been fired from the companies not listed or had I done anything bad, I would understand that would not be ethical. But it was just a job I took that I did not like it and left it. To be impartial, that's not an information I would like to disclose because potential employers might think I don't stick around for long on jobs I take. And that can be true. I will leave if I don't like it, but not something I want to say out loud.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,145,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingguy View Post
I took a couple of jobs that I did not like so as a result I do not list them on my resume. They were 3-months jobs and I was the one leaving the company. Will the background check find out about these short-term jobs and will that look bad for me because I did not include on my resume? Or they only go after the jobs you listed in your resume?

Even if they find out, can you just say that you did not include because it was a short term position without relevance to your career?

Thanks!
I work for a top background screening provider. The company will only check the previous employers you provide them, there's no other way for them to know where you've worked other than what you've told them and what social media tells them (facebook, linkedin, etc). What you SHOULD NOT DO however, is lie about dates of employment. It's okay to leave those jobs off the resume, but do not extend the time worked at another to cover it up. This will be verified, they will know you lied about the dates, and they will see it as a discrepancy. It could prevent you from getting the job.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:16 PM

12,064 posts, read 23,107,524 times
^^^Good advice. DoE are very easy to check.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
^^^Good advice. DoE are very easy to check.
What do you mean, Joe? Sorry for the silly question, but what is DoE?

Old 11-09-2012, 03:23 PM

2,845 posts, read 5,990,554 times
Dates of employment.

If asked I'd just say you didn't list them because you felt they weren't relevant to the job.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,368,500 times
they will never know about the jobs that you leave off completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search