Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 39,349 times

Advertisements

Hi! This is the first time that I have combined my customer service resume with teaching and planning experience, I normally would have two separate resumes to be more direct. I am unsure of the impression that this combined resume gives. Looking to show skills as transferable in teaching for the Peace Corps. Suggestion on content and editing, please.

Objective: Serve in the Peace Corps as a teacher, aligning my desire for a life-altering volunteer experience with my long-term career goals.

Attributes:
Ability to adapt to different learning styles Experience in diverse cultural backgrounds Navigate challenging conditions Anticipate needs of others  Flexible attitude Productive in independent and collaborative work

Experience:

Substitute Teacher
XXXXXX 11/12-current
Create an interactive learning environment for students of all ages and abilities. Engage in effective communication skills, innovative educational approaches to further student engagement and development. Work with students of all socioeconomic levels and English learners.

Personal Assistant
XXXX 1/12-11/12
Manage household operations: provide infant childcare, prepare nutritious meals. React quickly in emergency situations with sound judgment. Provide companionship, personal care and assist in adjusting to new lifestyles.

Restaurant Service
XXXXX 2/09-09/11
Provided excellent customer service. Flexible, can-do attitude: I was the only employee cross-trained as a restaurant bartender, dining room server and pool bartender. Worked independently with little supervision, trained seasonal staff. Managed bank with a daily blind-deposit, responsible for reconciling all tip payouts. Trained in alcohol awareness, extensive wine and product knowledge. Prioritized and executed tasks in a high-stress environment, initiating teamwork and customer satisfaction.

Substitute Teacher
XXXXXX 10/09-3/11
Fulfilled substitute assignments across most subject areas, effectively teaching kindergarten through 12th grade. Students were of varied academic levels and diverse cultural backgrounds. Instructed classes of as many as 30 students. Collaborated with teachers, administrators and parents on lessons and classroom management techniques. Facilitated a positive learning environment.

Wedding Service
XXXXX 3/09-3/11
Server for weddings, often-primary onsite contact for clients. Meticulous detail in: buffet set-up, table arrangements and food/beverage service. Diffused stressful situations daily. Employ strategic time management skills, ensuring that events ran smoothly and guests’ expectations were fulfilled.

Restaurant Service
XXXX 7/05-11/08
Prioritized and executed tasks in a high-stress environment, initiating teamwork and customer satisfaction.
Engaged patrons as a dining room server, bartender and in event support. Trained new servers on cash handling and service standards. Supported the events coordinator in leading events and weddings, organized set-up and breakdown, and supervised staff.

Land Use Planner
XXXXX 4/07-3/08
Worked within regulations from multiple agencies, cities, and counties to obtain planning and building permits. Primary contact for clients, contractors, architects, and governmental agencies involved in commercial, conservation and residential projects. Created, reviewed and altered building and landscape plans. Managed 15 project deadlines concurrently. Represented clients in meetings with various governmental agencies and departments. Provided effective communication and conflict resolution.

Naturalist Teacher
XXXXX 4/06-6/06
Developed a good rapport with students, planned and supervised group-building activities. Demonstrated proficiency in outdoor skills. Taught throughout the state of California, in different ecosystems and habitats. Formulated lesson plans tailored to integrate classroom curriculum with local environment, human and natural history of the western United States.

Planning Technician, Planning Intern
XXXXX 10/06-4/07, 8/05-10/05
Conducted initial screening for all inquiries and complaints directed toward the planning department. Interpreted city ordinances and how they apply to specific projects. Reviewed all commercial and multi-family development applications submitted for completeness and compliance. Created and edited city documents.

Relevant Volunteer Work:

Volunteer
XXXX 10/05-12/05 Taught students conservation, recycling and natural resource protection concepts. Led elementary students on educational tours of the eco-park. Delivered creative lessons explaining conservation to students who were hearing these ideas for the first time.
XXXX
Assisted guides in educational expeditions, which focused on native flora and fauna identifications, botany, and medicinal uses of Amazonian plants. Modernized webpage: nature photography, updates, and language translation.
Community Outreach Intern XXXXX 10/ 04- 05/ 05 Taught hands-on workshops on marsh and grassland remediation in the Richmond Field Station. Prepared educational materials and presented educational lessons to students on field trips. Independently and with community members: maintained native nursery, researched remediation techniques, and monitored results.

Education:

Bachelor of Arts, Interdisciplinary Studies Field Major. University of California Berkeley, December 2005. Thesis: “Sustainability in Marginal Communities: a Latin Experience.”
Independent study abroad, Ecuador, Fall 2005

Associates, Liberal Arts and Spanish. Lake Tahoe Community College, June 2003.
Study Abroad, Spain, 2001

Certificate: 30 day Emergency Teaching Permit, Passed CBEST (California Basic Skills Test)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 05:53 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,844,539 times
Do you even need a resume to join the Peace Corps?

All they are looking for are warm bodies (free labor) and the countries Peace Corps volunteers are sent to love them. The Chinese and other third world countries must think "look at all of those idiots doing our work for us for free. Sure, send as many bleeding hearted suckers as you can."

Old 11-11-2012, 06:48 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,715,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

All they are looking for are warm bodies (free labor) and the countries Peace Corps volunteers are sent to love them. The Chinese and other third world countries must think "look at all of those idiots doing our work for us for free. Sure, send as many bleeding hearted suckers as you can."
This is completely clueless.

OP, I wonder if you could combine a couple of your similar experiences, like the food service ones. At some point the PC would probably want each individual job, but for the resume, it might be better to be more concise.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:18 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:

Is it really free labor? Who in their right mind would lift a single finger for free?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
It's neither free labor nor is it easy to get into the Peace Corps. Their admit rate has dropped steadily through the recession - it's now at about 35% acceptance rate. Your living expenses are free for two years while you gain skills that can be applied to future jobs, starting you out at a higher salary rate. Additionally, depending on your lifestyle in your country, you may be able to save money. When you get out of the Peace Corps, you are given a lump sum of $7425 to help you transition, in addition to student loan benefits and a more attractive application for government jobs.

To the OP - If I remember correctly, you don't upload a resume for the Peace Corps. You input each job individually in the application. Mind you, this was several years ago and my memory is fuzzy on it. In any case, I'd do a careful proofread of your resume because you use several different tenses. I agree with maf - combine your experiences. Your resume should only be 1 page until you are a more senior level employee - and should only showcase the best.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Thanks charol and maf.
You do upload your resume and also input on the application. If I combine, I should include substitute teaching and what else? I suppose planning and service overlap my objective, but maybe not clearly enough for the reader. Should I put in chronological order. Also, I have had other jobs, should I put everything on web application. I don't want to seem like I have had too many jobs, but at same time don't want to leave info out that is asked for; I have worked seasonally and held two jobs at once most of my life. Thanks with the tense help, I should do a review of this online, as I am a bit lost.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM

Haha statistic nerd that funny, punch in some stats on it! Yeah people usually do think that people that help them are idiots.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:17 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,214 times
Quote:

You obviously know nothing about the Peace Corps. They turn down thousands of people every year and the application and interview process is intense. They want to make sure each person lasts through the entire two year contract and doesn't quit before their term is up. They also want volunteers who can be compatible with the environment and the locals. Not to mention the requirement of already having a college degree. They are not just looking for "warm bodies", that would be McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search