Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,734 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who was working a job that was supposed to be temp to perm after 90 days. Well, after the 90 days no one said anything at all about hiring her. So, she continued there for another 90 days because she needed the money. Well, at the end of 6 months she was told by the temp agency that the company was going to let her go. The company never gave feedback or anything. And the company told the staffing agency that is was a good experience, but, they didn't want to hire her.

She says that the work became less and less over the course of time she was there. She says there were days when she had nothing to do at all. So, she would take on little projects on her own like tracking stuff or organizing things.

The staffing agency said they would try to find something else for her. Earlier this week someone from the agency called her and was talking to her about a new position. The agent asked her what happened with the other company because she said she didn't really understand why it didn't work out.
My friend didn't really know, but, she did think the job wasn't all that challenging which she told the agent.

So, is it safe to assume that if the agency is willing to submit her resume for new positions that she did well enough with the other position even though they didn't hire her? Or is something else up with this agency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 01:28 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Of course they will be willing to submit her to other people- that's how they make their money.

Temp agencies IMO don't really take things personally. They are in the business of finding people jobs, now unless your friend was TERRIBLE I don't see why the temp wouldn't want to find her something else because they will still make money off of her, and they get paid a bonus when she is fully hired on. That other company was probably trying to avoid paying that bonus. Maybe all they did want was someone temporary.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:44 PM

97 posts, read 265,642 times
Temp agencies place people in short term gigs... for the companies to use like "try before you buy" employment...
If they don't like the goods after the 90 days.. or 6 months.. they can't "return the goods" and seek out a replacement "product"...

Old 11-14-2012, 08:29 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,480,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Of course they will be willing to submit her to other people- that's how they make their money.

Temp agencies IMO don't really take things personally. They are in the business of finding companies people to fill their job openings
Fixed

Old 11-15-2012, 05:12 AM

404 posts, read 1,147,571 times
Don't rely on staffing agencies too much. You start at a disadvantage when you work through a staffing agency because the workplace already views you as expendable. The workplace can easily lay you off with no explanation because you are technically employed by the staffing agency. The workplace doesn't have to deal with paperwork, unemployment, or you trying to sue them.

I have had that happen where the agency calls me and says don't show up, they don't need you anymore. I got no explanation so I went to work to try and get an explanation. The boss wouldn't tell me anything and just kept telling me to talk to the staffing agency. I talk to the staffing agency and they don't know anything themselves except that I'm not needed anymore at the job.

If you want a long term job try to stay away from staffing agencies. Those jobs are usually high turnover or positions that have an unsure future in the company.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:37 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Absolutely.I temped a while ago. They treat you like crap, even if you're amazing at your job. It never becomes permanent. Maybe if the boss is your boyfriend, husband or family. If you don't have an "in" at the company, you can forget it. The staffing agency assures you beyond a reasonable doubt that the assignment is 6 months, then after your 3 weeks there, the client company phones the agency and tells them "we don't need her anymore." Then you're out and you'll have to reapply for unemployment or whatever other help you were getting. It sucks and you take the hit more than anyone. If you have a second income then you can temp, sure. Otherwise it's the bottom of the rung.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:44 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Some companies use temp for try before you buy. However many, especially larger companies are using the permatemp model. They just keep everyone as temp except for the people who oversee the temps. Some places use the perm as a carrot to try and motivate otherwise demotivated employees.

In general most companies that use temp agencies are scumbag companies not worth working for. There are some that still use temp agencies for what they were traditionally for, maternity leave and short projects but the system is not being badly abused.

It is very shortsighted. The place where I worked was a permatemp company filled with depressed and demoralized workers who hated the company and really had no stake in the company's success. I never want to be in a place like that again.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Some companies use temp for try before you buy. However many, especially larger companies are using the permatemp model. They just keep everyone as temp except for the people who oversee the temps. Some places use the perm as a carrot to try and motivate otherwise demotivated employees.

In general most companies that use temp agencies are scumbag companies not worth working for. There are some that still use temp agencies for what they were traditionally for, maternity leave and short projects but the system is not being badly abused.

It is very shortsighted. The place where I worked was a permatemp company filled with depressed and demoralized workers who hated the company and really had no stake in the company's success. I never want to be in a place like that again.
Exactly. I've worked for demoralized companies like that as well. I would say 9 out of 10 companies I temped for many years ago were, well, in your words "scumbag companies." Based on my observations and stories from others: They had executives who were micromanaging weirdos, sexually inappropriate behaviors, bipolar screamers or had other social problems that caused a consistent turnover. One guy had a stay at home wife who kept incessantly calling and coming to the office to make sure he wasn't banging anyone there. I guess he was too weak to put her in her place; Daddy's money maybe?
Basically the people at these scumbag companies are losers who either inherited the company from family (nepotism) or got in through cronyism.

I'm never going to temp again. Way too much internal drama at those companies.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:01 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

I got a great job through a temp agency in 1994. Back in the day when temp agencies were new to the workforce, you could get placed in your position of choice with a good company with no problem. Rarely was there an initial interview, second interviews or waiting a week or two to find out if you got the job. It's not like that AT ALL anymore. All temp agencies want now are names on rosters, filled out applications and W-4 forms. They will rarely (if ever) send you on an interview, much less an assignment. The most notorious of these is Office Team / Robert Half.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:41 AM

I temped in the 90s as well. Once in a while I would get a decent client company. But for the most part, I really didn't. The other temps who worked with me on the pretrial document projects also had many bad but funny stories.

Now I judge a company by how many temps it employed, what for, and how often. Obviously a company has high turnover rate for social reasons, or pays employees badly. Using a temp during someone's medical/maternity leave is one thing. Employing "permatemps" is another, and it's a very telling sign of an internal problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search