Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 04:04 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious as to how many people have gotten interviews filling out those Taleo type applications online or the online applications that use key word searches.

I've filled out so many of them and I always get rejection email days, months afterwards.

Is there a special way to fill them out?

I've tried just about everything to make my resume "acceptable" and nothing seems to work.

Many of the jobs I've applied for, I am qualified for, but still...nothing.

What's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 04:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
In the last 5 years, all my interviews have come from recruiters contacting me on a resumed posted online or job search engine like Indeed.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
In the last 5 years, all my interviews have come from recruiters contacting me on a resumed posted online or job search engine like Indeed.
Indeed has helped a lot..but for finance jobs I am applying for on THEIR job boards, I get no response. I've even applied to the company I am currently working temp for and gotten a "sorry" email.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:26 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
All my interviews except for 2 came from old-school walk in to the place or newspaper ads. the latter worked better for me honestly. Led to long term employment that is continuing to this day. the best strategy-Mix it up. Don't use just one method.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
All my interviews except for 2 came from old-school walk in to the place or newspaper ads. the latter worked better for me honestly. Led to long term employment that is continuing to this day. the best strategy-Mix it up. Don't use just one method.
I've considered looking in the newspaper. I'm thinking the Sunday paper is the best. You're in NYC, which is where I want to work. Which newspapers would you recommend looking into?

Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
I've considered looking in the newspaper. I'm thinking the Sunday paper is the best. You're in NYC, which is where I want to work. Which newspapers would you recommend looking into?
The NY Times, Which is where I got my present job in 2005. Have not looked in those ads since but i know their ad section is better then the others for a fact. As far as the online route in addition to this Indeed is a good place also. I am not sure what field you are in or looking to get into but sometimes the old-school walk-in with a great resume and being well dressed, Just like you were going to an interview does work sometimes even in this day and age. I have seen people do this. The hiring manager, At least a good one with experience will take a resume if approached and you will not be an anonymous face online. I got my previous job in the 90's that I stayed at for years doing this.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
The NY Times, Which is where I got my present job in 2005. Have not looked in those ads since but i know their ad section is better then the others for a fact. As far as the online route in addition to this Indeed is a good place also. I am not sure what field you are in or looking to get into but sometimes the old-school walk-in with a great resume and being well dressed, Just like you were going to an interview does work sometimes even in this day and age. I have seen people do this. The hiring manager, At least a good one with experience will take a resume if approached and you will not be an anonymous face online. I got my previous job in the 90's that I stayed at for years doing this.
Okay. I will be checking that out this Sunday. Apparently a lot of people don't apply during the holidays, so I will try to take advantage of that, it it will be any consolation.

I have been trying to find a permanent job in Finance, but I don't think I can just walk into any building, unless it is a smaller one.

Thanks for this.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Okay. I will be checking that out this Sunday. Apparently a lot of people don't apply during the holidays, so I will try to take advantage of that, it it will be any consolation.

I have been trying to find a permanent job in Finance, but I don't think I can just walk into any building, unless it is a smaller one.

Thanks for this.
You are welcome. The whole goal is to get the resume to the hiring manager and obtaining a fax number could work as well. Not many use faxes today. Using a mix of methods increases chances. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:45 AM

126 posts, read 429,616 times
The job I have now is the only one I've ever landed from an online application. I had no connections to the company whatsoever. A recruiter saw my application and called me.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:17 AM

182 posts, read 612,582 times
The 3 job offers I got out of college were all online only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search