Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
are not related to you
not former employers
not former supervisors

Anyone else think this is kind of strange? Why wouldn't a company want to get references from a former supervisor?
Is this for the position at the city you were talking about a few weeks ago?

I can understand not accepting references from anyone who is related, but not your former supervisor?

In that case you might as well go down to your local drinking hole, buy one of the customers a few drinks and ask them to be a work reference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 03:48 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bHere! View Post
That requirement is a "rule-out" technique that hiring people use to thin-out applications in cases where they are innundated with apps for positions. Education (IE. degree requirements) is another as is explaining time between jobs or why you are employed and are looking for another job.

FWIW.

I always said that no one never asked me on a interview what have I been doing since my last job and if they ever did I would politely end the interview because to me it's a irrelevant question

Old 11-23-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTroy View Post
Is this for the position at the city you were talking about a few weeks ago?

I can understand not accepting references from anyone who is related, but not your former supervisor?

In that case you might as well go down to your local drinking hole, buy one of the customers a few drinks and ask them to be a work reference.

No this interview is for a job I applied to on Nov 1st.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:55 PM

251 posts, read 934,019 times
In my experience they want references other than your employers because they'll be calling both. I assume you also have to put down your work history and info? Many times employers are prohibited from giving a lot of information about a former employee. I have had several companies I worked for that could only answer yes/no questions or basic info unrelated to performance.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
In my experience they want references other than your employers because they'll be calling both. I assume you also have to put down your work history and info? Many times employers are prohibited from giving a lot of information about a former employee. I have had several companies I worked for that could only answer yes/no questions or basic info unrelated to performance.

I remember when I first saw that back in June, I was like HUH?? At the time the only references I had was the HR person, and previous two supervisors from my last job.

At that point I didn't even want to complete the application anymore since I was so irritated

Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
are not related to you
not former employers
not former supervisors

Anyone else think this is kind of strange? Why wouldn't a company want to get references from a former supervisor?
Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else but didn't you create an identical thread a few months or so ago?

It's not strange at all. Usually on an employment application you're asked for the name of your previous boss/supervisor but it's not at all unusual to be asked for other references. I never had a problem coming up with such references. They can be business people you've dealt with through your job; people you know through community activities; people you know through your church, through clubs you belong to, through your neighborhood; your banker - the possibilities are endless. Anyone with a regular social life shouldn't have any sort of difficulty coming up with three names of people who can attest to your good character and moral fiber.

I see no reason to find this request either unusual or irritating.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else but didn't you create an identical thread a few months or so ago?
Just out of curiosity to see if the old brain was still working properly where memory is concerned, a search took all of two minutes. My memory was correct - you started this almost identical thread just five months ago:

First time in life seeing this question on a job application

Old 11-24-2012, 10:01 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
There can be overlap when you have to list your former jobs and your former supervisor's names, plus references. I normally used 2 former supervisors as references. When it was specified otherwise, I used friends and former coworkers. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. Just give the info that is requested.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post

It's not strange at all. Usually on an employment application you're asked for the name of your previous boss/supervisor but it's not at all unusual to be asked for other references. I never had a problem coming up with such references. They can be business people you've dealt with through your job; people you know through community activities; people you know through your church, through clubs you belong to, through your neighborhood; your banker - the possibilities are endless. Anyone with a regular social life shouldn't have any sort of difficulty coming up with three names of people who can attest to your good character and moral fiber.

I see no reason to find this request either unusual or irritating.

I don't want advice from you

Old 11-24-2012, 01:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,763,278 times
That's not really uncommon. I don't understand why it is such a big deal. Why can't you just put 3 friends down? During a phone interview I had to describe how to make a pbj sandwich now that was odd but I answered the stupid question.
Why would you simply end a interview if you don't like a question. People are going to ask stupid questions. That's life you just move on its not a huge deal. Is it funny yes, is if something to be angry about nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search