Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 11:53 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times

Advertisements

I was at an IT career fair. It was a pretty small one (about 10 to 15 booths). Quite a lot of "middle-aged" (35+ yo) job seekers. Many of the companies had 5+ line, on few occasions, a company or 2 wouldn't have any line and get a breather. The booths that were advertising continued education (Trident, Devry, etc.) had not one single person approach them in the 2.5 hours I was there. I talked with some of the folks in line, and the general gist was, "we're looking for jobs to continue earning income to pay for expenses, we can't be paying money for these such classes". And they mentioned that while not a necessarily waste of time, they felt it wasn't worth it for them.

Back to the topic at hand, it varies per person, field, industry, and geographic setting. The big thing is to make sure you're playing the numbers game and sending out resumes. Make connections. If something's not working, find out and fix it. If you're not getting interviews, then research that. If you're not getting past interviews, then see if it's a pattern (just 3, keep trying. But if you got declined 20+ times for jobs you're a decent to good fit for, then we got issues to be resolved).

I don't like the mentality that being unemployed automatically makes you less attractive, or hat your skills are not as sharp. Someone working in a relatively brainless job shouldn't be better for job X when the unemployed person has been taking classes or learning the ropes on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 12:14 PM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I'm not going to bother responding to such a nasty message like that. It's scary to think there are people with your mentality here in this state, but then I remember why we are in the situation we are in. It is telling to see people praise trades so much. So what happens after you get the piece of paper? Are the jobs invisible?

What does the dropout with no education whatsoever who gets hired for a stock position have better then me?

My own father has never been unemployed. He's had little gaps all his life, but every job he's had was from connections, he has no education at all and he makes over $25 an hour full time! What does my father have that I don't?

What do illegals have that I, an american citizen don't?
People act like that because they think they are better than you and you are less than. It makes them feel better about themselves having this aire of arrogance and superiority. I just throw it back in their face and tell them where they can shove their opinions

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 06-19-2014, 09:00 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,635,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
People act like that because they think they are better than you and you are less than. It makes them feel better about themselves having this aire of arrogance and superiority. I just throw it back in their face and tell them where they can shove their opinions

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Even better is when these people get a taste of their own medicine. I have seen it happen many times before. I have seen many supposedly mighty people eat crow.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

What do illegals have that I, an american citizen don't?

A closed mouth and a willingness to work for peanuts.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
Even better is when these people get a taste of their own medicine. I have seen it happen many times before. I have seen many supposedly mighty people eat crow.
Many if not most of these 'successful' people & these yuppies got to where they were either by luck and/or screwing over others. I am a NY'er even though I live outside of Boston I lived in NYC for 32 out of 39 years of my life and can tell these 'types' a mile away that will be nice to your face but then use it to ********* over (and I can them on it like most in NYC will to their face)

Old 06-19-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You have Aspergers, and your dad doesn't, nor do most people. And if you have a negative attitude and whiny personality on the internet, then it also carries over to your real life personality. And employers just don't want that sort of person around. What is so hard to understand about your situation?

You need to develop job skills where you become a valued employee for having them and yet don't have to interact with many people or the public.
just 'play the game' as the employers do, be fake, smile & giggle at the most minute small talk.. I take ADHD medication and anti depressants which help me at the interview.

People with Aspergers & ADHD are trash talked about -- mental & neurological illnesses are still not politically correct in the corporate world

Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Many if not most of these 'successful' people & these yuppies got to where they were either by luck and/or screwing over others. I am a NY'er even though I live outside of Boston I lived in NYC for 32 out of 39 years of my life and can tell these 'types' a mile away that will be nice to your face but then use it to ********* over (and I can them on it like most in NYC will to their face)

And they can still hit rock bottom. I have seen it many times. There are consequences for bad behavior at some point.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
A closed mouth and a willingness to work for peanuts.
And a willingness to do the kinds of work that most of us won't, especially if we have a degree and expect
a nice high paying office job.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:28 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,796,410 times
I think about six months unless you are really lucky or know the right person at a company that is hiring.

After six months they assume that because you have not been hired by someone else you are likely no good and damaged goods.

(From someone how has been looking for a full time job after being fired over a year ago.)

Old 06-20-2014, 09:32 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
It all depends on the industry. I've had interviewers ask me about a 1 month gap before, I was actually sorta surprised they asked about a 1 month gap at the time I was completing my MS degree. In any case, some will not pay any attention to it, some will. I think the best approach is to ignore it and then answer it only if asked, and keep it to a short concise answer, nothing long and drawn out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search