Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Your friend needs to find something to say like "my mother was sick and dying and I became her caregiver for that time until she passed." That is if her mom passed away or something.

I mean really, get creative, don't just say "I looked for work." 3 years is a long time! I have a one year gap in employment, and though I was never asked, if I had been, I'd have said something like "I was looking for work and at the same time I was taking care of my brother and sister while my mom was out of the country."

I agree to evaluate her interview skills. I had a friend with TERRIBLE interview skills. She kept not getting jobs so I started asking her questions and when I asked her "how do you handle conflict with coworkers" and she went into this whole thing about how she doesn't take crap from anyone. lol. My jaw dropped and I was like no, you say you communicate with them, and try to work it out, and if there are still issues you go to your supervisor for help.

She had some other minor issues but after some coaching she got a job

You have been asked that question about what have been doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 05:38 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,627,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHomeSeller View Post
I know a lady who was laid off from her job three years ago and has sent out nearly a thousand resumes and gone on a number of job interviews but just can't find work. No one will hire her! They ask her what she has been doing since she lost her job and she is honest and tells them she has been aggressively looking for a job but just hasn't found anything yet. My unemployed friend tells me they lower their eyebrow and seem to say under their breath, "well if no one else wants you, why should we?"

She thinks that because she has been unemployed for so long employers think there is something wrong with her and pass.

How long can a person be unemployed and still be employable? How long can you be unemployed before being considered unemployable by hiring managers?

I don't know a definite answer, but I know someone that was out of work for a month and the interviewer wanted to know why she had been out of work for such a long time.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't know a definite answer, but I know someone that was out of work for a month and the interviewer wanted to know why she had been out of work for such a long time.

I hope that person laughed in the interviewer's face and walked out.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,604,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
My mother is a school librarian and every year during summer she has a 3 month long employment gap (well, not technically, but she isn't working) and she doesn't do anything work related during that time. She does stuff around the house and goes on a weekend trip here and there. If she applies for another job tomorrow, no one will question her annual 3 month gaps in working.

Yet, if someone is laid off and does nothing for 3 months that person will be labelled lazy, unmotivated, and his application will be put in the circular file. Why isn't a teacher or librarian considered lazy and unmotivated? A lot of them don't do anything for months, yet they aren't judged.
a lot of these people will not be lazy or unmotivated anymore once they finally have gotten a job, it's the pain and frustrating effort into finding and getting a job that makes people lose motivation and get lazy

Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,385,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
a lot of these people will not be lazy or unmotivated anymore once they finally have gotten a job, it's the pain and frustrating effort into finding and getting a job that makes people lose motivation and get lazy
Most people lose motivation and get depressed, not lazy. It's very easy to feel hopeless when you are job hunting.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
Most people lose motivation and get depressed, not lazy. It's very easy to feel hopeless when you are job hunting.

Yep and it is hard to keep motivation up when all you get is rejection and in many cases no response from them at all.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Yep and it is hard to keep motivation up when all you get is rejection and in many cases no response from them at all.
yeah, really angers me

Old 12-29-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
yeah, really angers me

Don't let it get you that upset. Just move on if you have applied and heard nothing.

However, if you have been interviewed in person and they can't at least give you a response, then that speaks volumes about them.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Don't let it get you that upset. Just move on if you have applied and heard nothing.

However, if you have been interviewed in person and they can't at least give you a response, then that speaks volumes about them.
thats kinda where i've been getting at, i've gotten many interviews and they never respond back after the interview, even when i call

Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM

13,113 posts, read 20,856,336 times
As a business owner, I must say that any hiring manager who is not in tune to today’s economic & employment picture, and believes lengthy unemployment automatically means laziness, they themself deserves to be unemployed.

I cannot for the life of me, understand why, with the way things are, that long term unemployment is viewed negatively, especially without evaluating all the circumstances of the individual’s unemployment. I actually feel that a long term unemployed individual who is still actively and professionally seeking employment shows a certain positive character and trait.

A factory closes and 100's are laid off. Similar companies are downsizing or also laying off. Industry wide slowdown all over the nation, associated careers are also having slowdowns. How can an employment manager overlook those facts and realities and make a judgment on the person due to circumstances outside anyone’s control? These realities are not hidden or unknown, they are often right in the open for any HR staffer to see.

Sometimes I feel that those in the hiring process should spend a bit of time in the employment hunting sector to get a shot of reality.

It's also hard to understand why sensible employment hunting is held against a person. Of course the natural reaction to unemployment is to find a similar skilled and paying position. As that becomes increasingly harder, lesser positions are considered with lower pay. The cycle continues until they become desperate and will accept just about any reasonable job for any reasonable pay. I don’t know of a single human resource staffer that if laid off today, will first apply and accept a position at Burger King before attempting for some time, to find a similar position and pay as they formally had.

This does not mean that laziness should be ignored, as there are really some who are lazy or full of themselves and create their own long-term unemployment through negative attitudes and false realities of themselves. However the line between long term unemployment automatically equaling laziness and long-term unemployment equally bad economy is a big bright orange thick line and jumping to laziness as the immediate assumption with no individualized review, well that’s just plain laziness as a hiring manager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search