Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 09:23 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Craigslist has it's good months and weak months. The summer was kind of week but it picked up in the fall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 10:22 AM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
You've had better luck than me, all I've gotten were scams. There was one job, that was probably legit but I could never get a hold of the guy for the phone interview. Each time I'd try to contact him, I was rushed off the phone. Outside of that, I've gotten those scams asking me for my credit report.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,029 times
Congratulations- I found my last job on Craigslist as well

Yes there are jobs that are scams, but they can be easily weeded out IMO. Jobs that say "high pay and no experience" have usually been scams in my experience.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:36 AM
FBJ

I don't understand why so many people find it difficult to use craiglist

"You only respond to ads that has a legit company email or contact person with a company email"

You never respond directly to craigslist ads without the information above. I thought everyone knew that which is why I don't understand why so many people are getting scammed

Old 12-25-2012, 11:04 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,027,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinca View Post
I wish I had the same results as you did. I get scams for just about every job I apply to. I know the ones promising $15-$20 a hour without requiring a degree are scams, but in fresno I get scams from the $9-$10 hour jobs. I try not to apply unless I see a company name and address.
I have heard of some people having good luck so I keep checking.
Yep! This is what turned me off to CL too. I believe most of the ads on California's CL are scams.

But I also remember answering a couple of ads in NY CL when I lived in California and never received a response. After awhile, I stopped using them.

Just as a "test", I'm going to answer some ads and see what happens in NY.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yep! This is what turned me off to CL too. I believe most of the ads on California's CL are scams.

But I also remember answering a couple of ads in NY CL when I lived in California and never received a response. After awhile, I stopped using them.

Just as a "test", I'm going to answer some ads and see what happens in NY.

You are not supposed to respond directly to a CL ad if there is no company name or contact info

Old 12-25-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think it does vary quite a bit depending on location. NYC CL has tons of legitimate posts everyday. Many of them do not use valid e-mail addresses BTW. When I used to post jobs for my old place of employment, I never provided an e-mail address of our place because it was small and we only had one main e-mail address at the time. Employers are usually flooded with e-mails and some do not want to give an e-mail contact direct that someone could constantly e-mail. Yes, they could make a separate e-mail but a lot of smaller places don't think that way. (Especially when you don't have people who are that computer competent running this part of the operation.) That's not to say there aren't any fakers.

I also did not call tons of people. I would always get over 50-100+ resumes for a job that was out of the way for most people and some of them were awful. Honestly, the earlier people applied to the posting, the more likely I was to call them. The ad stays up for a month so if you're sending your resume two weeks after everyone else, I was probably done looking at them by then.

I got a job from CL a little over a year ago. My place still posts jobs, never with company e-mail addresses. My husband's job, which is a global company with over 5000 employees, doesn't use company e-mails on CL posts.
Yes, I'm beginning to believe it's a regional thing as well.

Cause CALIFORNIA CL SUCKED!!

Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Yes, I'm beginning to believe it's a regional thing as well.

Cause CALIFORNIA CL SUCKED!!

it sucked for all cities in CA?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You are not supposed to respond directly to a CL ad if there is no company name or contact info
I agree which is why I stopped using them. No one was giving out their company info, in addition to not having a valid email address.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
it sucked for all cities in CA?
Los Angeles and San Francisco. These were the only places I was interested in at the time.

The other poster said they were having a problem in Fresno which is another California city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search