Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 04:57 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times

Advertisements

at will employee is pretty standard in the USA. It's legal CYA from companies.

The annual salary is likely based on 40 hrs per week. I bet if you calculate the hourly salary X 40 hrs/week X 52 weeks = same annual salary they listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
2080 hours is a standard 40 hour work week X one year which is a full time position. A non-exempt employee is one who is eligible to receive overtime pay for any documented hours in excess of those mandated (in your case, anything over 40 hours).

"At will" means that you can be dismissed at any time for any reason and is quite common.

Good luck with the new position!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:00 AM

51 posts, read 107,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
2080 hours is a standard 40 hour work week X one year which is a full time position.
I wonder if I should still adress the issue? I was told on the phone that I would work a 40h/week but in the offer I see that I would get X$ if I would work 2080h per year. But it wasn't stated that I have to work 2080h a year (or less in case of part-time).

In the working contracts in my country there would be a statement such as
"Mr Chmike will be employed as [job title] within our company on a full term basis. His weekly work hours would be X and overtime would be [included/paid]".

Have you found such a statement in your contracts? How would that be formulated?

Thanks a lot

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
at will employee is pretty standard in the USA. It's legal CYA from companies.
Thanks a lot - so nothing to be adressed here.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Will you be a contractor? Meaning you will be paid by the company who is bring you over but will work for a different company? I ask because of the green card and hourly wages.
Hello lemonegg, no, no contractor. All is handled by the same company...

Old 02-01-2013, 09:54 AM

I found this example offer letter online and it states this:
Quote:
is pleased to offer you the full-time position of [Title] effective [Date].
I think I kindly ask next week if they would add something like that.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:13 AM

I also found this very beautifully formulated template counter offer letter. What I like is that it doesn't only demand, it also appreciates parts of the offer:
Quote:
Relocation Package: GE will compensate up to $10,000 for your reasonable costs incurred for relocation to Plainville, CT. Further, GE will provide temporary living assistance and reimburse for any commuting for up to 6 months from date of hire.
As far as relocation is concerned, I feel your relocation package is quite generous and I appreciate the company's policy.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:13 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmike View Post
I found this example offer letter online and it states this:

I think I kindly ask next week if they would add something like that.

It wouldn't hurt.
Is this company is Silicon Valley?

Old 02-04-2013, 02:15 PM

I prepared a "counter offer letter". How about that as a closing paragraph:
Quote:
If you could see to making these modest improvements to your offer, my performance will show you a handsome return. I sincerely believe that the offered position of the [..] corresponds to my professional objectives and my experience in this field will be a great asset for your organization.

Thank you for your consideration.

Respectfully Yours,

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 PM

Yesterday we agreed on a compromise and now i have the job.thank you guys so much for all your help.

One thing they agreed on is that they grant me 6 days of unpaid leave and one week of tele commuting from Europe to be able to visit our families.

However they won't include that in the offer letter leaving it a plain verbal agreement between one hr expert and two vice presidents and myself.

they are still to send me the new offer letter but I'm awake in bed now and have doubts with this plain verbal agreement of a vital part of the offer.what if the VPs change position.would the next vp be willing to grant me the unpaid leave also?

So i thought i ask them for a supplememt to the offer letter because they don't want to put it in the offer letter itself.

What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search