Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 AM

51 posts, read 107,976 times

Advertisements

Dear forum members,

I received a call from the HR of a large company in California where I was told, that I receive an offer in one week and encounter the following:

1. 20 Dec: Call with HR and was told that interviews went well and after x-mas I would be given the offer
2. Since then: heard nothing
3. I sent an email to HR this week to ask about the status but nothing yet.
4. Today I discovered, that the job has been reposted on Dec 19.

What do you think about this? I am still hoping that it is only because the internal processes in large companies might prolong things. I don't have experiences with US companies as I live abroad so it would be nice to hear your opinion.

Thank you very much and a joyful 2013 to evryone

Last edited by chmike; 01-11-2013 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: edited the first sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:35 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,117,016 times
I am confused. In your first sentence, you said an offer was received. In your timeline, there was no offer sent.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
I am confused. In your first sentence, you said an offer was received. In your timeline, there was no offer sent.
Thank you - I corrected the first sentence

Old 01-11-2013, 12:41 AM

156 posts, read 313,166 times
You didn't get it....

I had the same...2nd interview was a lunch...they said they only have to do the reference check. They were extremely lazy with it and kept pushing it off. Apparently they went with someone more experienced.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:01 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,739,820 times
Definitely seems like you didn't get it. I would try calling if you have a number to confirm, just be casual "I was interviewing form X position and was told an offer would be forthcoming, I haven't heard back, could you tell me the status?"

Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Most companies just got rolling again the middle part of last week, after the holiday break.

Chances are good that you will get something within the next week or so.

There are lots of steps in processes/approvals before a large company will make the formal offer. They are probably going through those steps now. Possibly someone was off for a few days.

Keep in mind the flu is heavy in most states. That could slow things down by a week if the person is a key player in the process.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,124,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Most companies just got rolling again the middle part of last week, after the holiday break.

Chances are good that you will get something within the next week or so.

There are lots of steps in processes/approvals before a large company will make the formal offer. They are probably going through those steps now. Possibly someone was off for a few days.

Keep in mind the flu is heavy in most states. That could slow things down by a week if the person is a key player in the process.

I agree that this is a possibility. Hiring approvals are required up the chain of command and if one approver is out on holidays, nothing can happen. Give them a chance to catch up and ... keep up with your job search.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Definitely seems like you didn't get it. I would try calling if you have a number to confirm, just be casual "I was interviewing form X position and was told an offer would be forthcoming, I haven't heard back, could you tell me the status?"
Thanks for advicing that, I didnt know whether that was appropriate as I still have to learn the US customs in large companies.

So I called and guess what guys: the recruiter who told me that I receive an offer just quit her job end of 2012. All her cases have been transferred to substitutes. So that leaves me with the hope that her substitute just has this huge queue of cases piling up her desk and therefore my case is delayed. I tried to reach her on the phone but no success yet. But I am much more positive now

I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all your advice and insights.

Greetings from snowy central Europe

Old 01-17-2013, 03:31 AM

Ok - I received news from HR yesterday : application is still on track and they want to talk next wednesday with me about the next steps with the recruitment process. That sounds to me that the offer was just delayed because of internal processes.

What question could I expect in the talk?:
- salary negotiations?
- bonusses (health care etc)?
- start date?
- relocation assistance?

I'm sorry to ask, but I am so used to the German system and many social insurance things are already covered by state so we never talk about them in job interviews. We are more eager to what company care we get . The new employer in CA has a nice PDF online with all their benefits and it seems to me like that they apply a standard package of benefits to all their employees (401, health care...). Meaning likely no negotitations there (even it it would be nice if health care would start right from the beginning for all of us).

I am not sure but somehow my feeling tells me, that they would tell me Wednesday that the next step is that I have to do a drug screening and that they would start my background check and that we would talk after this is done again. It is really like a huuuuuuge slow ocean liner steadily going its way

Thank you

Old 01-17-2013, 06:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
Typically HR will make an official job offer, verbally. They give you the salary and benefit info and discuss a start date and talk about the drug test/background test procedure.

Sometimes folks accept on the spot. I usually tell them I am excited about the opportunity, think it's a good fit and then ask if I can give an answer the next day. I also ask if they can email me the offer/benefit package.

when I respond the next day, I often ask "can you add one more week paid vacation, instead of 2 weeks, make it 3 weeks?". then I wait for an answer. Or also ask, 'can you increase the starting pay to $xxx instead of $yyyy."). Then they either agree to this or maybe they arrive in the middle. Sometimes they say they cannot budge and then you still can accept. this is because you simply asked if they could increase, you didn't specify that you woudn't take it at the original offer."

This all depends on whether you want to negotiate the offer. Many do, many don't.

Usually it's not negotiable as to 'when' the health insurance starts because it's standard company policy. But you never know...it doesn't hurt to ask.

congrats.

Oh -once you accept and a salary, benefit pck, start date are agreed verbally - they will either email and web sign or send you snail mail with official offer details in writing.

Usually once you accept, then they start the drug screen and background test. And lots of forms for you to fill out on this matter as soon as you 'accept'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search