Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 11:21 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Careerbuilder
Monster
Half the jobs up there are through agencies like Kelly and Aerotek.

It's all a crap shoot, you just have to push and push and push to find something better/good.

Quote:
I didn't think a employment agency could ask for references. I thought they just have you fill out a form with your previous employers and contact person.

Not a list of your references

Of course they can- they are doing the work of the companies that need people. Anyone can ask for a reference if they are going to give you a job, place to live, etc.

Quote:
You can get around companies wanting a lot of information by only applying to jobs that require you email someone directly a resume and cover letter
Temp agencies do that to! they don't post they are a temp, they just post the position, and then when you email your resume and cover letter you get a response from a temp! It's happened to me MANY TIMES!

Last edited by beera; 01-18-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:22 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
The only person who misses out by not trying is the job seeker. I went through Aerotek AND Kelly Scientific, did the interviews, and got a few calls that went nowhere, but at least I did my end, it's better than wondering if I missed out on a potential job. I mean, anytime you go for a job interview with a real company, and end up not getting the job, do you think "I shouldn't have even bothered?" Of course not At least I hope not!

I got a call from Aerotek yesterday after not applying for MONTHS and I almost laughed when she said she had a job for me, I told the recruiter I found a job already, to which she asked if I knew anyone else looking I said they have all already applied through Aerotek lol.
This is what I'm talking about. With the agency that's placed me in the temp job I'm working now, I applied with them after inquiring about a couple of jobs they had posted on several online job boards. When I asked about the availability of the jobs I had expressed interest in, I was told they were either filled from within or withdrawn by the client. Two months later, they place me in a long-term temp job and that's where I am now.

Quote:
I'm not going to wait until I've exhausted all other options, I'm going to do all I can at once, because even if I get a temporary job right away, that can at least supplement my income until I find a better job.

I don't think working for a company that starts out with hiring you temporarily is a bad thing or that it makes them a bad company. MANY companies do this nowadays, probably cuz they have hired people who they thought were great and only turned out to be terrible and it took a while to fire them.

What's the difference between that and a job that has a "probationary period?" If a good company says "you are on probation for 6 months" are you going to walk away from a great job? MANY government jobs are like that btw.

I think there are some bad ones out there, IMO I never had ANY luck with Kelly or Aerotek, but I just went through one, that placed an ad on craigslist of all places (I didn't even know they were a staffing agency, I just applied for the job), and now this Monday I start a fabulous new job, making pretty good pay (40% more than what I'm making now- and the job I have now I didn't find with a staffing agency), and in 3-6 months I'll get hired permanently. The company is actually a really good one to work for, I haven't even read one negative review online about them and all the people I interviewed with said it's such a great place to work, and they looked like they really meant it.
I agree with you on this. Big companies will use agencies to do their initial testing and screening. But, there are pros and cons to that. A big company should have enough staff in their HR department to do the testing and screening. Cost could be a factor in that. However, I have also found so-so jobs without the aid of an agency. Emphasis being on the "so-so." Those generally lasted a very short period of time. I have nothing against agencies, but I really wish they wouldn't post fake jobs.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:39 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I mean, overall, I agree, it's best if you can find a job on your own, directly with the employer, but nowadays that's happening less and less it seems.

On my own, I also found a so-so job, as much as I like everyone I work it, it's not enough to live on, unless like TVandSportsguy said, you live at home and just graduated college or something.

But then this job I found through a staffing agency pays a lot more. In fact, when they first called and told me a pay rate, I asked for $2 more/hr. When I got the job, they gave me $3 more per hour. I was pretty surprised to say the least.

I just know for sure I'd rather exhaust all options than turn anything down. The job I have now (that ends today) I'm glad I found it because it put money in my pockets to pay my bills for the 6 weeks I've been here.

I guess it all boils down to we all have had different experiences with temps, but I definitely wouldn't discount them if I needed money!

Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
I work for one of the top 3 staffing agencies in the world. Not as a recruiter though. I love my job and the co I work for.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:46 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
Default 50/50

Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
I have had mostly negative experiences with staffing /employment agencies throughout the years. Probably my biggest gripe is with the 22 year old "recruiters" and 23 year old "supervisors" who give you the same boring speach about their companies policies and have you complete the same long, boring test that you have completed seven times before with other staffing agencies. They go on and on about how their approach is different and unique from the other staffing companies and that job orders are coming in left and right. (yeah right!) That is why I never seem to hear back from them, even with a great looking resume.

They call you in for a job order, stating that you would be a "perfect fit" for a particular position only to later tell you to your face that either the "job is filled" or that you "do not meet all of the qualifications" to perform the job. When and if you do hear back from the "recruiter" they insist on sending your resume to a "cold calling" center, stating that this job would be a perfect fit for your background, when the position has nothing to do with your experience or career goals.

I also feel bad for the companies and employers that use these agencies as well. Oftentime, they will stick anybody with a pulse into a position, even if their background is in question. The recruiter does not care since he will probably quit his "prestigous" job in two-weeks time anyway.

What has been your experience in regards to utilizing these staffing companies?

I can understand your plight. I hate going to these companies, especially when I was not trying to apply to them in the first place. They call me and say they would like to interview me for a position, and when I get there I find it to be a staffing company! I don't know HOW many staffing agencies I've been to, some of them don't even contact you about jobs, nor call you back when you call about updates on the job list. However, I have been placed in some jobs, and I have enjoyed a few of them. Right now, I am placed with a company through a staffing agencies. I guess you just have to keep pushing until you strike at something good. I like this staffing agency I am working through now; they are very attentive, keep in contact, ask how I am doing at the job, come to the jobsite at times, keeps me updated and all of that. But I do hate the same humdrum test and crap, I want to tell them to just call the other ten agencies that I've been through and ask them to send the test scores they have on file since they all test for the same thing.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:51 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I work for one of the top 3 staffing agencies in the world. Not as a recruiter though. I love my job and the co I work for.
Would you mind telling all of us who are looking for a permanent job who this agency is?

Old 01-18-2013, 12:13 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,301,769 times
Cant disclose the co I work for. But I can tell you that GM just released an RFP looking to hire about 3,000 employees over the next 3 years. Also, Ericsson is looking to hire around the same amount as well as BazaarVoice, Schnitzer Steel and Regeneron Pharmaceuticals.

Just an FYI, the division of the company I work for hires full time employees with experience. Most of these jobs are middle to upper level IT, Engineering, Software positions (aka degrees/advanced degrees and 5+ years experience).

Old 01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
I'm not going to wait until I've exhausted all other options, I'm going to do all I can at once, because even if I get a temporary job right away, that can at least supplement my income until I find a better job.

I don't think working for a company that starts out with hiring you temporarily is a bad thing or that it makes them a bad company. MANY companies do this nowadays, probably cuz they have hired people who they thought were great and only turned out to be terrible and it took a while to fire them.

What's the difference between that and a job that has a "probationary period?" If a good company says "you are on probation for 6 months" are you going to walk away from a great job? MANY government jobs are like that btw.

I think there are some bad ones out there, IMO I never had ANY luck with Kelly or Aerotek, but I just went through one, that placed an ad on craigslist of all places (I didn't even know they were a staffing agency, I just applied for the job), and now this Monday I start a fabulous new job, making pretty good pay (40% more than what I'm making now- and the job I have now I didn't find with a staffing agency), and in 3-6 months I'll get hired permanently. The company is actually a really good one to work for, I haven't even read one negative review online about them and all the people I interviewed with said it's such a great place to work, and they looked like they really meant it.

The difference is when working for a company you know for a fact that after 90 days you are part of the team. With the temp assignment you can be working well beyond 90 days until the company decides to bring you on board which can be 180 days,

Old 01-18-2013, 05:44 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Half the jobs up there are through agencies like Kelly and Aerotek.

It's all a crap shoot, you just have to push and push and push to find something better/good.

Of course they can- they are doing the work of the companies that need people. Anyone can ask for a reference if they are going to give you a job, place to live, etc.

Temp agencies do that to! they don't post they are a temp, they just post the position, and then when you email your resume and cover letter you get a response from a temp! It's happened to me MANY TIMES!

I;m talking about a email address that has a person's first and last name and the company.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:46 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChIoe View Post
There was a time when temp agencies were great. I got short term jobs with no experience and learned quite a bit on my feet. Eventually got placed in a "real" job. That was Clinton era, when the US was living high on the hog. Those days are long gone! Now that we're in the dismal Obama era BROUGHT ON BY BUSH POLICY FAILURES, job opportunities are scarce. I am totally ignored even for jobs that I am grossly overqualified for.

Nowadays, potential employees have no value. Companies want everything up front before you're even considered for a job: SS#, references, etc. Pretty soon they'll require a live 24 hour webcam feed. And maybe if they like what they see they will take a gander at your resume.

Its a sad, sad world. Thanks GEORGE W & WALL STREET.
There. Fixed that for ya.

And you're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search