U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-18-2013, 03:30 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 922,516 times
Reputation: 321

Advertisements

1) Do I need a unique resume for every type of job that I apply for?

2) How can I highlight the skills or qualities that a specific job may be searching for, from the one job that I've had?

3)How do I know what they are looking for?

I've only had one job and it's the one i currently have, I work in a shoe store. I want to apply to retail stores but I really want to be a security guard.

I don't have experience in security, but when I do my resume for the security job, what should I be putting? (Examples would be nice).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Chicago
3,072 posts, read 5,329,693 times
Reputation: 3549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
1) Do I need a unique resume for every type of job that I apply for?

2) How can I highlight the skills or qualities that a specific job may be searching for, from the one job that I've had?

3)How do I know what they are looking for?

I've only had one job and it's the one i currently have, I work in a shoe store. I want to apply to retail stores but I really want to be a security guard.

I don't have experience in security, but when I do my resume for the security job, what should I be putting? (Examples would be nice).
1) NEED? Not necessarily, but I tend to adjust my resume for the position.
2) If you have had one job only it may be sort of hard. However, I have on my resume a student education section that I switch out classes that pertain to that specified job. I also have a philanthropy section of charity work that I have done. This way I can adjust charities to whatever my fit with the job interests.
3) Well your security job is probably looking for somebody who appears level headed, likes discipline, and will be responsible as well as reliable. Can you highlight that with your previous experience at all? Retail stores I would highlight your experience in salesmanship and counting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 922,516 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
1) NEED? Not necessarily, but I tend to adjust my resume for the position.
2) If you have had one job only it may be sort of hard. However, I have on my resume a student education section that I switch out classes that pertain to that specified job. I also have a philanthropy section of charity work that I have done. This way I can adjust charities to whatever my fit with the job interests.
3) Well your security job is probably looking for somebody who appears level headed, likes discipline, and will be responsible as well as reliable. Can you highlight that with your previous experience at all? Retail stores I would highlight your experience in salesmanship and counting.
Not really lol
However, in my store, I have caught a few thieves. Me and my co-workers have to be very vigilent, our store has no surveillance or security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 04:55 PM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
10,022 posts, read 16,703,808 times
Reputation: 6427
Now you know what to discuss in the application.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 05:28 PM
 
4,069 posts, read 5,481,752 times
Reputation: 4920
It's a good idea to customize the job for most positions. I do it and it works for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:01 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 922,516 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
It's a good idea to customize the job for most positions. I do it and it works for me.
You mean like describe the job in the a way that all employers (no matter what job) like what they see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 30,405,931 times
Reputation: 22357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
1) Do I need a unique resume for every type of job that I apply for?

2) How can I highlight the skills or qualities that a specific job may be searching for, from the one job that I've had?

3)How do I know what they are looking for?

I've only had one job and it's the one i currently have, I work in a shoe store. I want to apply to retail stores but I really want to be a security guard.

I don't have experience in security, but when I do my resume for the security job, what should I be putting? (Examples would be nice).
The best thing to do is to take the job description and rework it into your resume. This way you have as many key words as possible.

For example.

Here is a job for retail associate for Best Buy.

This role is responsible for gaining knowledge around the standard store operating practices and executing against them in their daily operations. Responsibilities include accurate execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes. This role will achieve individual goals by ensuring the appropriate sales support behaviors are demonstrated, ensuring a shopping environment where no customer is ever left without service or underserved in any way.

Key Responsibilities:
90% of time will be spent executing upon business group strategies, standard store operating practices and ensure flawless process execution.

10% of time will be spent performing other duties as assigned

Basic Requirements:
- 3-6 months working experience either in customer service, sales, or inventory/merchandising
-18 years of age or older

Preferred Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years retail experience


The resume I would write for this (notice the key words) would be:

Objective: A position of responsibility in a retail environment that offers the opportunity for me to advance my knowledge of standard store operating practices and use my knowledge, experience and training to provide an optimum shopping environment for customers.

Exprience: Joe's Retail Store (your current job)

Duties included:

*Accurate execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes.
* Successful management of daily operations of retail store based upon standard operating practices.
* Demonstrating appropriate sales support behaviors.
* Providing world-class service to customers and ensuring that no customer is underserved in any way.
*Demonstrating business group strategies in accordance with company policy.

Additional skills: 1+ years retail experience in a sales, merchandising and customer service environment.

Willingness to complete other duties as assigned, as needed.

Education: High school diploma

Now then....that having been said. When you get to the INTERVIEW. You are going to have to explain what you mean. Therefore, study your resume and develop credible, intelligent ANSWERS to any questions that might be asked such as....

"Explain to me what your definition of "appropriate sales support behaviors" consist of"

or

"Give me two examples of what you would do to provide world class customer service to a customer".

or

"Give me an example of what kinds of things you did during the day to provide the "execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes"

or

"What kind of business group strategies does your (did your) employer have that you found beneficial"?

or, the ever-popular.

"Tell me what you will contribute to this position, and why I should hire you"


Getting the interview is easy. But knowing the right answers is what gets you the job.

good luck

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 PM
 
Location: New York
753 posts, read 922,516 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The best thing to do is to take the job description and rework it into your resume. This way you have as many key words as possible.

For example.

Here is a job for retail associate for Best Buy.

This role is responsible for gaining knowledge around the standard store operating practices and executing against them in their daily operations. Responsibilities include accurate execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes. This role will achieve individual goals by ensuring the appropriate sales support behaviors are demonstrated, ensuring a shopping environment where no customer is ever left without service or underserved in any way.

Key Responsibilities:
90% of time will be spent executing upon business group strategies, standard store operating practices and ensure flawless process execution.

10% of time will be spent performing other duties as assigned

Basic Requirements:
- 3-6 months working experience either in customer service, sales, or inventory/merchandising
-18 years of age or older

Preferred Requirements:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1+ years retail experience


The resume I would write for this (notice the key words) would be:

Objective: A position of responsibility in a retail environment that offers the opportunity for me to advance my knowledge of standard store operating practices and use my knowledge, experience and training to provide an optimum shopping environment for customers.

Exprience: Joe's Retail Store (your current job)

Duties included:

*Accurate execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes.
* Successful management of daily operations of retail store based upon standard operating practices.
* Demonstrating appropriate sales support behaviors.
* Providing world-class service to customers and ensuring that no customer is underserved in any way.
*Demonstrating business group strategies in accordance with company policy.

Additional skills: 1+ years retail experience in a sales, merchandising and customer service environment.

Willingness to complete other duties as assigned, as needed.

Education: High school diploma

Now then....that having been said. When you get to the INTERVIEW. You are going to have to explain what you mean. Therefore, study your resume and develop credible, intelligent ANSWERS to any questions that might be asked such as....

"Explain to me what your definition of "appropriate sales support behaviors" consist of"

or

"Give me two examples of what you would do to provide world class customer service to a customer".

or

"Give me an example of what kinds of things you did during the day to provide the "execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes"

or

"What kind of business group strategies does your (did your) employer have that you found beneficial"?

or, the ever-popular.

"Tell me what you will contribute to this position, and why I should hire you"


Getting the interview is easy. But knowing the right answers is what gets you the job.

good luck

20yrsinBranson
Ok, I see, good explanation thanks. Is that what you would use for every sales associate position you apply for? or just Best Buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 AM
 
Location: SW Missouri
15,849 posts, read 30,405,931 times
Reputation: 22357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanp219 View Post
Ok, I see, good explanation thanks. Is that what you would use for every sales associate position you apply for? or just Best Buy?
Every job. Any job. The object is to get an interview, where you can sell your skills and prove your value to a potential employer. By using key words that match the key words in the ad, you improve your chances of being picked for an interview.

Most online applications use key word technology these days. You will find that a lot of potential employers do not even read your resume before the interview, they just depend on the system screening applicants based upon key words. the more you use, the better your chances of getting an interview.

I would use this type of system on all applications (even paper based).

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Southern New Hampshire
7,263 posts, read 12,711,543 times
Reputation: 22129
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
The best thing to do is to take the job description and rework it into your resume. This way you have as many key words as possible.

For example.

Here is a job for retail associate for Best Buy.

This role is responsible for gaining knowledge around the standard store operating practices and executing against them in their daily operations. Responsibilities include accurate execution of merchandising, inventory and store function processes. This role will achieve individual goals by ensuring the appropriate sales support behaviors are demonstrated, ensuring a shopping environment where no customer is ever left without service or underserved in any way.

Key Responsibilities:
90% of time will be spent executing upon business group strategies, standard store operating practices and ensure flawless process execution.

10% of time will be spent performing other duties as assigned
20yrs, is this an actual ad? Do ads really use this horrendous jargon-filled language? I mean, "accurate execution of store function processes"??!!

Great advice, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top