Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM

1,738 posts, read 3,007,183 times

Advertisements

What does you going to a convention have to do with anything?

Here's word straight from a recruiters mouth concerning hiring into the prestigious jobs:

Quote:
Mike Shields, a retired Marine Corps colonel and human resources director for U.S. field operations for Schindler Elevator, the North American arm of Switzerland's Schindler Group, says he rejects about 50 military candidates each year for the company's management development program because their graduate degrees come from online for-profits. "We don't even consider them," Shields says. "For the caliber of individuals and credentials we're looking for, we need what we feel is a more broadened and in-depth educational experience." He does hire service members with online degrees for jobs on nonleadership tracks, he says.
Again, this time from a talent recruiter for major firms

Quote:
"There are some firms that are heavily credential-oriented," he says. "McKinsey & Co. is one of them. They might balk. Amazon (AMZN) might balk. Shell Oil is another one." McKinsey, Amazon.com, and Shell declined to comment.
Here's the article.
For-Profit Colleges Target the Military - Businessweek

HR can and does screen resumes based on degrees. They do the same for GPA. I'm not sure why you can't accept that fact. This is especially true when it comes to the prestigious and high paying jobs.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
I am guessing you are aware this accreditation does not apply to all majors and degrees...right? Also, I am guessing you are aware there are some that are considered top tier but do not have this accreditation, and that it really is meaningless? (Oh wait, guessing you are not)

Google it.
1. I said Business majors.
2. No top tier business school exist that does not have the AACSB accreditation.
3. It's not meaningless.

I missed this one and felt the need to respond.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Accreditation isn't always the same. There are a whole bunch of different bodies. For example, the best business schools have the AACSB. Lower level ones have a different one.
The term "best" is relative. There's a lot more AACSB accredited schools than there are with good MBA programs.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The term "best" is relative. There's a lot more AACSB accredited schools than there are with good MBA programs.
Not really.

The AACSB is the gold standard. Every top MBA program (from 1 (HBS) to 100) has the accreditation.

There are no MBA programs that are considered Top Tier or even Top 50 that do not have the AACSB accreditation.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:08 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Not really.

The AACSB is the gold standard. Every top MBA program (from 1 (HBS) to 100) has the accreditation.

There are no MBA programs that are considered Top Tier or even Top 50 that do not have the AACSB accreditation.
I think you misunderstood what I said. Let me simplify it for you.

All good MBA programs are AACSB accredited. All AACSB accredited MBA programs are not good.

There are approximately 650 schools with the AACSB accreditation. There are approximately 25-30 good MBA programs in the United States (all of which are AACSB accredited).

That being said, the term "best" is relative. You cannot use AACSB accreditation, alone, to determine whether the MBA program is good or not. AACSB accreditation just means that the program meets a certain minimum standard.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think you misunderstood what I said. Let me simplify it for you.

All good MBA programs are AACSB accredited. All AACSB accredited MBA programs are not good.
They have higher standards than those programs without the AACSB accreditation. i.e. UoP
Quote:
There are approximately 650 schools with the AACSB accreditation. There are approximately 25-30 good MBA programs in the United States (all of which are AACSB accredited).
25-30? Really? There are 25-30 top tier and tier one schools. There are plenty of good MBA's that are in the top 100 ranking from US News.

Quote:
That being said, the term "best" is relative. You cannot use AACSB accreditation, alone, to determine whether the MBA program is good or not. AACSB accreditation just means that the program meets a certain minimum standard.
"Best" is not really relative the higher up the list you go. I think everyone agrees what the 5 best programs in the country are. There isn't any debate to it.

AACSB meets a minimum standard that other schools cannot meet.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Did anyone stop to think that online universities many times are the best options for those who want to further their education post high school but have such responsibilities as children and full time employment? I dropped out of college and chances are if I want to get my bachelors, I will likely have to take the courses online. I have small children plus a full time job. A friend of mine obtained his b.s. degree from uop. He didn't need the degree since he was already a project manager. It was all about self fulfillment. (the same reason why I'd pursue a degree, since I make a scent living without one). I don't know why a stigma would exist. People who get online degrees aren't idiot losers but people who very often have solid work experience but don't have the time to go back to a brick and mortar college.

Agree with this post.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:10 AM

229 posts, read 293,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Did anyone stop to think that online universities many times are the best options for those who want to further their education post high school but have such responsibilities as children and full time employment? I dropped out of college and chances are if I want to get my bachelors, I will likely have to take the courses online. I have small children plus a full time job. A friend of mine obtained his b.s. degree from uop. He didn't need the degree since he was already a project manager. It was all about self fulfillment. (the same reason why I'd pursue a degree, since I make a scent living without one). I don't know why a stigma would exist. People who get online degrees aren't idiot losers but people who very often have solid work experience but don't have the time to go back to a brick and mortar college.
it doesn't matter. From what I've heard, if a company gets a resume from someone with University of Phoenix, Devry whatever online-for-profit-college degree, those are throw away immediately... any company nowadays gets plenty of college graduates(it's pretty much a standard now), so why would they pick someone who went to a school that's famous for poor quality?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:56 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by im_a_lawyer View Post
it doesn't matter. From what I've heard, if a company gets a resume from someone with University of Phoenix, Devry whatever online-for-profit-college degree, those are throw away immediately... any company nowadays gets plenty of college graduates(it's pretty much a standard now), so why would they pick someone who went to a school that's famous for poor quality?

From what you heard? That does not encompass ALL employers. I know first hand of 2 people that have been hired and they had University of Phoenix on their resume.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
From what you heard? That does not encompass ALL employers. I know first hand of 2 people that have been hired and they had University of Phoenix on their resume.
Point being what? Two people is a terrible sample.

The fact is that it puts you at a significant disadvantage when applying to jobs that require a certain degree in a specific field.

My company posted a single open for a position that was entry level. They got hundreds of apps in a few hours. Online degrees weren't considered because that's not what were looking for in terms of education. The truth stings sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search