Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Some stuff is starting to conflict here. If true it's a 1% type of scenario and not very useful to use as an example to this broader argument.
PLease see post in which you will find my response. The only thing as issue is how badly Pyramidsurf wants me to be wrong because I refuse to post my Grad School transcripts to prove I really went.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:58 PM

74 posts, read 92,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
^^ Is University of Phoenix paying you to post this stuff?
Nope. Just presenting a balanced discussion. I have seen so many ignorant posts about UoP on the internet, and it just gets ridiculous after awhile.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
PLease see post in which you will find my response. The only thing as issue is how badly Pyramidsurf wants me to be wrong because I refuse to post my Grad School transcripts to prove I really went.
Using someone who went to the UOP after two top 20 universities is like using Bill Gates as an example to jusitfy not going to college.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:01 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,518,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akil11 View Post
Nope. Just presenting a balanced discussion. I have seen so many ignorant posts about UoP on the internet, and it just gets ridiculous after awhile.
I have seen nothing but facts. UOP has horrible employment and graduating rates. No entrance requirements and very high tuition. For-profits are losing money now as legit schools start to offer online programs. That isn't even mention their questionable recruitment tactics.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
What of course you leave out is UF is not accepting everyone. Now do you think they will prefer Aa student from a CC they have close ties with or a for-profit that non-profits think are jokes?

Not to mention a CC is MUCH cheaper. People are talking about a degree from UOP and not your example where a university accepts very few tramsfers anyway.
I usually don't get into the whole "grammar police" thing, but can you at least keep it coherent?

Here is the test on if they think it's a "joke" or not: whether the credits are accepted. That's it! No hocus-pocus needed. As I've posted from UF's site, the criteria is plain. What school did you attend?

Your arguments are more about redundancy than reason. They center around a desire for elitism than anything else. I've proven you do not have to be elite to get into a state university. UF would accept everyone if it had the capacity. What school turns down tuition? That is why you have universities with satallite schools in other cities (i.e. UT - Austin, UT- Brownsville, UT - San Antonio, etc.) - to increase capacity.

It seems you may not fully understand what entrance exams are for. You equate them with measuring some kind of profound intelligence. They are primarily to measure high school senior's ability to meet college course-work, and reduce the number of freshman applicants to meet capacity. If it were simply an IQ game, every student entering (including transfer) would take an IQ test to maintain the school's "intelligence" standard.

You seem to forget, college is also about attrition. Many people start out, but not everyone finishes. Getting in is half the fun. UoP has 5 WEEK semisters, which is an excellerated pace. Give it a try buddy. The graduation rate is low for a reason.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
They likely gouged them for 3x the amount of tuotion they should have paid so probably not.
Tuition reimbursement dude. Look it up.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,391,506 times
Quote:
Using someone who went to the UOP after two top 20 universities is like using Bill Gates as an example to jusitfy not going to college.
Yet, both are valid. They are representatives of a different career path. And of the fact that each person comes with their own experiences and own reasons for where they went to what school...

Old 04-19-2013, 09:58 PM

1,738 posts, read 3,006,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akil11 View Post
I usually don't get into the whole "grammar police" thing, but can you at least keep it coherent?
Quote:
an excellerated pace. Give it a try buddy.
Maybe you should heed your own advice.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I have seen nothing but facts. UOP has horrible employment and graduating rates. No entrance requirements and very high tuition. For-profits are losing money now as legit schools start to offer online programs. That isn't even mention their questionable recruitment tactics.

Okay dude, you really are beginning to come across as intellectually stagnant here. I don't mind a good discussion but when someone starts to repeat the same comments into redundancy, it begins to sound like Jethro trying to prove it really IS a cement pond (“see because there’s cement and water…there’s water and cement”).

I am a UoP graduate. I am employed. A co-worker in senior management has an undergrad and graduate degree from UoP. She is employed. I posted a link to an article discussing UoP graduates earnings compared to traditional graduates. They could not have "earnings" if they were not employed. The graduation rates are low primarily because you have open enrollment for an accredited university that has an accelerated curriculum. How do I know? I went to the school, and completed the program.

Let’s use a little common sense. If open enrollment (“no entrance requirements”) were really an issue to evaluate quality, every student would start and finish. The graduation rates would be very high. UoP has open enrollment (which I hear is being modified) because they do not have the same capacity restrictions as traditional universities. Again, many can start but not everyone finishes. Sure, the number of online degree programs is increasing. That is an indication of viability not inferiority – you cannot make both arguments at once. As far as online degrees, UoP is top-of-the-line. They have it down pat. Some of the format is patented and licensed.

I concede the questionable recruitment tactics. It is a for-profit university. I concede the tuition is higher, but I also posted an article explaining why most out-of-state tuition is more expensive.

The only problem with UoP is it does not have a comparable alumni network to traditional universities. Once the school’s alumni network wakes up - look out. Also, the caveat about “jobs” and UoP is that the school is more of an entrepreneur track. The age demographic is older, more experienced, and looking for additional expertise/qualification.

Check out graduate business directory: http://www.phoenixfocus.com/alumni-business-directory/

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Maybe you should heed your own advice.
Good catch. You found some dirt on my shoe. Never mind that my arguments are Stacy Adams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search