Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 12:25 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
Do you honestly think it's that hard to tell it's online? If the person lives and works in Socal but attended school in Texas at the same time, then something isn't adding up. Do you think they won't ask about it in an interview (if they even get to that stage)?
No, it's not hard to find out; but, I had the option of attending an online international relations program at a university in the city I live in. I ended up choosing a school that is 3-4 hours away because it was cheaper. However, I do know of people who are attending Devry on campus where I live. Their program is not online. Devry and UoP are not online schools; they are schools with online programs.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:37 PM

74 posts, read 92,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Eventually there will not be parity. At this point you need to hope that the government doesn't shut them down by taking away federal loans which is basically how most of the low performing students pay.

For-Profit Colleges and Universities

For-profits saw a huge need and filled it. Non-profits are catching up and this is why for-profits are shrinking and cutting back.

The For-Profit Higher Education Industry, By the Numbers - ProPublica
Those are good links, but I doubt you actually read them (based on comparing your statements to their content). I've seen the arguments presented here. They were there while I was in school. The government certainly needs to regulate the for-profit industry - I agree. The regulation is designed to make it BETTER, not shut it down. For-profit schools lobby too. Understand, I am not a proponent of for-profit over not-for-profit schools. I just think you are doing a lot of wishful thinking and hoping by associating these links with your post (hoping that folk will not read or understand them). Lumping UoP in with the "for-profit" turbulence in general, as a sort of "guilt by association" argument, has been par for your course. There are non-accredited for-profit schools that have been highly unethical - BUT NOT UOP. UoP was gig'd on some recruiting standards and the percentage of debt acquired by students via federal funding. Naturally the gov't would look into it. The school then put in motion measures to meet governmental standards (i.e. modifying open enrollment, improving career placement, & improving debt education) - just stating the facts. How do I know? I've seen the updates on e-campus and received alumni notifications.

In my view: The main problem was students signing up for classes; not knowing when/how to drop based on passing the deadline for a 5-week semester; and still being caught liable for the student loan. At least that was the primary complaint for many online posts I've read. In other words, many sign-up without knowing how difficult the pace is and what they're getting into before dropping out. I admit, I had a bit of misconception going in until it dawned on me by my third class - "this feels like college." It started to feel like traditional schools I had attended before. Going to school online takes maturity and discipline - trust me.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:48 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akil11 View Post
Those are good links, but I doubt you actually read them (based on comparing your statements to their content). I've seen the arguments presented here. They were there while I was in school. The government certainly needs to regulate the for-profit industry - I agree. The regulation is designed to make it BETTER, not shut it down. For-profit schools lobby too. Understand, I am not a proponent of for-profit over not-for-profit schools. I just think you are doing a lot of wishful thinking and hoping by associating these links with your post (hoping that folk will not read or understand them). Lumping UoP in with the "for-profit" turbulence in general, as a sort of "guilt by association" argument, has been par for your course. There are non-accredited for-profit schools that have been highly unethical - BUT NOT UOP. UoP was gig'd on some recruiting standards and the percentage of debt acquired by students via federal funding. Naturally the gov't would look into it. The school then put in motion measures to meet governmental standards (i.e. modifying open enrollment, improving career placement, & improving debt education) - just stating the facts. How do I know? I've seen the updates on e-campus and received alumni notifications.

In my view: The main problem was students signing up for classes; not knowing when/how to drop based on passing the deadline for a 5-week semester; and still being caught liable for the student loan. At least that was the primary complaint for many online posts I've read. In other words, many sign-up without knowing how difficult the pace is and what they're getting into before dropping out. I admit, I had a bit of misconception going in until it dawned on me by my third class - "this feels like college." It started to feel like traditional schools I had attended before. Going to school online takes maturity and discipline - trust me.
Here are some UOP specific ones. Spin.....Spin.....Spin.....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/ed...ions.html?_r=0

Quote:
The University of Phoenix, the nation’s largest for-profit university, is closing 115 of its brick-and-mortar locations, including 25 main campuses and 90 smaller satellite learning centers. The closings will affect some 13,000 students, about 4 percent of its student body of 328,000.

It is also laying off about 800 employees out of a staff of 17,000, according to Mark Brenner, senior vice president for communications at the Apollo Group, which owns the university.
Quote:
As the negative publicity about for-profits mounted — including many charges that the schools enrolled students who had almost no chance of succeeding, to get their federal student aid — both Kaplan and the University of Phoenix announced new programs, offering some form of free trial, to ensure that they enrolled only students who had a reasonable likelihood of success. Those programs cut substantially into their enrollment numbers.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2762168.html

Quote:
A team of accreditors reviewing the University of Phoenix has recommended that the school be placed on probation, the university's parent said Monday, jeopardizing the reputation of the nation's largest for-profit college and its ability to collect federal student aid dollars crucial to the school's bottom line.
Quote:
As the Obama administration and Congress have stepped up scrutiny of for-profit colleges, University of Phoenix enrollment dropped to 356,000 in August from more than 460,000 two years earlier, according to company securities filings. A quarterly filing last month said enrollment was 319,000.

Last edited by Gatornation; 04-20-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
While I'd love for everyone to get a fair chance at an interview, it's simply not feasible. GPA, test scores, and school are easy ways to slim the numbers down. After that is all said and done there is still 100's of resumes available.

Let me ask you this. If the name of the university wasn't/isn't a big deal, why did you go to two top schools if UoP was good enough?
For my Undergrad online was not an option...literally did not exist. I am old enough that I had to type my papers in my undergrad and print them out. Yes, I had the internet, but slipping the completed paper under the professor's office door or taking it to your class was how you turned work in. People did not have laptops in all their classes as they do now.

For my MBA, I am not sure I would have done online, as I knew going into it that the accounting and statistics courses were going to be something I was going to struggle with and was going to need a professor with office hours. I also did not go straight to grad school from college and was worried about getting into the swing of college again while doing so virtually on my own.

For my undergrad, I picked a school that was close to home that was well ranked in my major. If I was going to spend the money, I wanted it to matter and be a quality education that mattered to me. I actually researched and went to the school with professors who were well thought of in the certain areas in which I was intending focus. UoP has this in a lot of ways.

I was also not sure at that time in my life if I was going to do more school or if my BA was going to be where I stopped. I wanted the full college experience.

Also, I had these as options. I also had them as options when I did the UoP courses as I graduated with a GPA in the high 3.0 range both times. But I chose UoP and I think both the education and the experience were good.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Your situation is not common. It is useless to use when talking about the typical UOP student.
Yet, the title of the thread is "Finding a job with UoP on your resume" and as it was my most recent education, it is first on mine.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Just like every other UOP graduate you have come up with a way to justify going to an inferior school. Maybe you are not like most UOP graduates(if that even happens) who can't get into real schools but that is the box you get out into. You hear the same facts and data because they are true. You can attempt to talk your way around them but in the end at best you *might* be an exception to the rule. A UOP student who can get into a quality school. Those students rare.
I do not know the requirements for undergrad admissions. But when I got the Graduate HR Certificate, I had to submit transcripts showing a completed undergrad degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0. That is pretty on par with other grad programs....

Old 04-20-2013, 01:00 PM

74 posts, read 92,978 times
Quote:
Your personal example is useless in this larger discussion. I'm sure there has been one person who went to the UOP who could have been admitted to Harvard. The fact that still remains is that student doesn't represent your typical UOP student and one would look quite foolish using that to defend the UOP.

I repeat the same facts because you have yet to be able to comprehend them. I'll stop repeating when you can come up with something to back your points up besides "your" experience. You can't accept the fact you went to a school that is viewed by most as a low quality school. This is a problem for many people though as they don't want to admit to attending a lower quality school than someone else.
I've presented anecdotal evidence and links. Check out my first thread.

Also, let's see if you can comprehend this: UoP has the same accreditation (level) as UF - just a different body. Measuring the quality of a university is not based on "Gatornation's" dip-thong perspective. It is based on a standard set by a uniform governing body. Think real hard on that.

I agree. I do not make an exception the rule. I am giving UF the benefit of the doubt by your representation - if you even went there.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
I don't always agree with you on here, but I do agree with you in this thread. If Pyramid wants you to post transcripts, then in all fairness he should post the company he works for so people will know that his company doesn't want those with online degrees.
To be fair, he never requested that I do so, but he also implied that because in a public and supposed to be anonymous forum I am not willing to post the schools I attended in order to "prove" that I really went to them it means that I do not have the education that I state I have.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
Yet, the title of the thread is "Finding a job with UoP on your resume" and as it was my most recent education, it is first on mine.
We do agree on your point. If you have a top 10 undergraduate degree and a top 20 MBA it likely has little impact on your job prospects if you list a UOP degree on your resume as well. This however applies to about .05% of the UOP graduates who are in a similar situation.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:04 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
People like Pyramidsurf who would turn down a Stanford engineering graduate just because his or her degree was earned online will be in the minority if they aren't already. Attitudes toward online education have come a long way. As older, more close-minded people retire, these attitudes will change more quickly. I found 2006 and 2010 articles on employer perceptions of online degrees to demonstrate this change.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/ed...anted=all&_r=0

Even though this article has an overall negative tone toward online education, I found this quote interesting.

Quote:
Heather Robinson, a spokeswoman for U.P.S., acknowledges that hiring managers can’t tell the difference. “It is almost impossible to differentiate fully online degrees from partial online degrees from traditional bricks-and-mortar degrees,” she says.
Employers on online education - CNN.com

Quote:
Not only are they familiar with them, but 83 percent of executives in the survey say that an online degree is as credible as one earned through a traditional campus-based program. Employers said such factors as the accreditation of the college or university, the quality of its graduates and the name of the institution awarding the degree were among other things they considered to make an online degree more credible.

Last edited by L210; 04-20-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search