Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,390,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
We would not view it (or any for-profit) favorably. I also have to question the decision making ability of someone who pays high tuition fees for an on-line degree from a for-profit school when the same degree can be had in an on-line format from a brick and mortar university for a fraction of the price.
It really is not a fraction. The UoP tuition, while high, was only about $1000 more for the certificate that I needed than the other universities I looked at. And I had access to the bookstore through a friend...I spent about $450 less on books through UoP than I would have through another university. Also, I needed to repeat the stupid GRE to go to a couple of the online schools as the certificate I wanted was graduate level and while I have an MBA, the GRE scores have expired. So, tuition cost is not the only factor, and by the end, the cost was a lot lower for UoP

Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
For-profit Ashford University loses accreditation bid | Inside Higher Ed

For-profit colleges under fire over value, accreditation - USATODAY.com

"In a development that has captured the interest of the Education Department, a growing number of for-profits have taken a shortcut to regional accreditation: buying an already accredited non-profit college. At least 11 non-profits have been converted to for-profits that way in recent years, Kinser says."

Many for profits basically buy their accreditation by purchasing other smaller accredited colleges and then they legally take their accreditation.

I would say that colleges go in this order. These days only choice #1 is good enough to be competitive.

1. Traditional 4 year colleges
2. Community Colleges.
3. For profit colleges.
I completely agree with you regarding choice #1 being the only good enough choice to be competitive.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
They have many students every year, I'm sure many of job land jobs somewhere. It's always better to go to big name universities than online one anyway.
Please do a little research before you say things like this. Check out the Harvard online courses while you are at it. Or is that not a big enough name for you?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
U of P and most other for profit schools do not have regional accreditation, which all normal colleges should have, AND their credits do not transfer to regular colleges. That should tell you enough, that colleges won't even accept their credits!

Google for profit universities on Frontline. There was a huge investigation done on these universities from the federal government and they are under a lot of heat. These are all FACTS. Supporters are in denial. There might be some HR departments that aren't wise to the for profit scam, but I would think most are and would throw out your resume. If you are stupid enough to pay that high tuition and not even research the colleges, then you don't deserve a job anyways. Shows lack of common sense and poor decision making skills.

Video: College Inc. | Watch FRONTLINE Online | PBS Video
Incorrect.

Look it up before you post errors as fact.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
To answer the OP's question: Yes, employers don't think very highly of University of Phoenix graduates. Most HR personnel will keep a stack of resumes submitted by graduates of traditional schools in one pile and another stack of resumes submitted by UOP graduates and other for-profit online schools in another pile. That's the hard truth.

Don't waste your money.
PLease tell me what employers? I would like to apply, let them throw away my resume and then file an EEOC complaint that my resume was not kept on file...I will say it is because I am a girl. Translation, this does not happen as HR departments are MUCH smarter than that. You want it to be true as the statement looks better online. But if true, your department is not smart enough to avoid simple, basic, HR rules to keep from being sued for discrimination, meaning you work for idiots...so why would I want to work there?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Where do they put the resumes of non-graduates...

Precisely...
If the position requires a degree, and most professional positions do these days, non-graduates are not even considered for that position, regardless of how much experience they may have in that field.

You see, during the recession, many people who were laid off or downsized were older employees (50+) who had been working their positions for over 30 years. Some of these positions such loan officers, mortgage brokers, insurance account managers, etc. did not require a degree 30 some-odd years ago; they only required a certification. However, many of these positions now require a bachelor's degree. When these folks aged 50 and older were laid off/downsized from their companies during the recession and went to apply for similar positions in their field at other companies, many weren't hired because they were qualified; they didn't have at least a bachelor's degree. These folks never needed a degree to enter their field and ascend the corporate ladder years ago when they started out and were, over time, grandfathered into their positions.

Ultimately, many in this segment of the workforce accepted much more modest positions that were far below their skill level, became under-unemployed, or became discouraged workers.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
PLease tell me what employers? I would like to apply, let them throw away my resume and then file an EEOC complaint that my resume was not kept on file...I will say it is because I am a girl. Translation, this does not happen as HR departments are MUCH smarter than that. You want it to be true as the statement looks better online. But if true, your department is not smart enough to avoid simple, basic, HR rules to keep from being sued for discrimination, meaning you work for idiots...so why would I want to work there?
Please stay in California, honey.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM

To clear up confusion, jman07, writing FACT next to something doesn't actually make it true.

Quote:
Your Facts aren't really Facts. What does traditional schools having online degrees have to do with U of P having one? NO one is saying that distanced learning programs are bad, just that for profit colleges are bad. Regular colleges have regional accreditation, U of P doesn't (FACT)

FICTION by someone who claims to know what he is talking about but apparently is unable to use Google.

To assist you, below find 2 links. The first is to the accreditation of UoP, the second explains what Regional Accreditation actually is, as you clearly haven't a clue.

The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association

North Central Association of Colleges and Schools - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Saying that you have witnessed UofP graduates being hired means nothing. I'm sure some get hired for less desirable jobs, but most won't get decent jobs because of their degrees. I can guarantee you that none of the Big 4 accounting firms in the country have hired a U of P graduate. Your anecdotal accounts of UofP students studying a lot doesn't really say anything either. I wrote APA papers in HIgh School and studied a lot.

Watch the video of the link I provided earlier.
Video: College Inc. | Watch FRONTLINE Online | PBS Video

Old 02-03-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
UoP is mostly in the business of moving Federal dollars through students into itself; in that sense they might be considered a scam. But they really do provide an education while they're doing it; their programs are accredited by legitimate (if not the most prestigious) accreditors, so I don't see why an employer would reject them.
Not true. They are accredited by the same body that gives regional accreditations to ALL universities in Arizona. The major and minor schools. There are no differing regional accreditation boards.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:14 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
If the position requires a degree, and most professional positions do these days, non-graduates are not even considered for that position, regardless of how much experience they may have in that field.

You see, during the recession, many people who were laid off or downsized were older employees (50+) who had been working their positions for over 30 years. Some of these positions such loan officers, mortgage brokers, insurance account managers, etc. did not require a degree 30 some-odd years ago; they only required a certification. However, many of these positions now require a bachelor's degree. When these folks aged 50 and older were laid off/downsized from their companies during the recession and went to apply for similar positions in their field at other companies, many weren't hired because they were qualified; they didn't have at least a bachelor's degree. These folks never needed a degree to enter their field and ascend the corporate ladder years ago when they started out and were, over time, grandfathered into their positions.

Ultimately, many in this segment of the workforce accepted much more modest positions that were far below their skill level, became under-unemployed, or became discouraged workers.
It is expected jobs will go to the most qualified candidate for the lowest wage...

Although, there are exceptions... the common refrain was overqualified

Interesting you mention mortgage brokers... there were quite a few laid off as the market contracted... the one I use was one of those in 2008... he and two others that were also let go opened their own firm and are doing quite well and being partners... they can be found at the office just about 7 days a week. The refi business has been overwhelming.

I received my degree in engineering... my timing couldn't have been worse. Friends were being hired left and right with minimal or 2 year degrees... I decided on a double major BS. I also paid my way through school... the trade-off was 5 years because I was working two jobs.

Anyway, I had my degree and was faced with the worst employment prospects since the Great Depression... no one in the valley was hiring... so I had to go to plan B and work for my self and did so for about 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search