Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 05:54 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,043 times

Advertisements

the running joke is that this online only (or mostly) university is a scam and the "education" it doles out to the public is useless. on the other hand, there are "name brand" course to license programs offered online that are "respected" (whatever that means) compared to UoP.

University of Phoenix Fraud! Huge Scam!

will YOUR employer respect this "university" if someone came in to be hired and put this on his or her resume?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:12 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,356,415 times
I think the biggest issue that people have with UoP is that their tuition is extremely, ridiculously expensive. Their course material and structure both for in class learning and online learning might be very good (I have no idea), but their reputation as a predatory institution that encourages ignorant people to spend six figures on an Associates Degree in Basket Weaving is what makes them a laughingstock. They do not have student success as a goal; their main goal is to pocket huge tuition and fees from students who fall under the ether when they hear "You can go to college and earn a degree that will get you a great job" and sign on the dotted line. After you sign, they're finished with you and it's onto the next student.

I've never received a resume from someone that listed this institution so I've never interviewed anyone to see if they knew their stuff. There have been posts online from students indicating a "positive experience" there but they could be shills for the school for all anyone knows.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Most of your posts have been useless and frivolous. This one's just foolish. A link to a one person's failure does not tarnish the image of an entire university.

Don't forget that Dubya went to Harvard and Yale... That would discredit a university far faster than one idiot who "just typed papers all day".

C'mon. Find something better to do with your time.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:14 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,043 times
one of the first men who actually bought/invested into this university was an unemployed musician. there was a short documentary on him. he went from a broke unemployed starving artist to a multi millionaire. how? LIE. lie cheat and steal and you can win big. rockefeller did it, mobsters did it, and all the politicians hiding their stolen/laundered money from drug and human/organ trafficking in swiss accounts have done it and continue to do it.

UoP is well known for what he posted. read about it. you are comparing UoP to a brick and mortar, a real college, and furthermore harvard and yale for goodness sake. harvard and yale have been around a few hundred years so, and have produced incredible scholars. UoP has produced wealth for its share holders. that's about it.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:12 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,397,767 times
Or they have succeeded in generating the piece of paper that holds many people back. No key forces people to go there, or take out loans, nor do they lie about it.

Are they a research institution? No. They provide a quick, easy way to get a degree that everyone over-values anyway. Graduates from there are no less prepared for the real world than a Harvard grad. The Harvard grad just spent more, and had to use connections.

And for christsakes... Learn capitalization and try to stay coherent.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:37 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest4 View Post

will YOUR employer respect this "university" if someone came in to be hired and put this on his or her resume?
At all of my professional jobs post-college, not a SINGLE PERSON who I have worked with graduated from one of these for-profit online "universities."

Send in your resume to at any of the places I have worked with a degree from one of these diploma mills on it, and it would go straight to the garbage can. Employers (and most everyone else) laughs at the University of Phoenix.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I went to University of Phoenix (for my masters), not one person has ever said anything negative to me about it in a job interview. I enjoyed UOP much more than my bachelor's, it was nice to have professors who actually KNEW what they were talking about cuz they did it first hand, rather than in my bachelor's where a lot of professors only knew the "theoretical" applications of things I was learning.

Chucking those applicants with UOP degrees IMO makes those employers miss out. You might not think it, but UOP DOES weed out the people who can't do their programs. In my own program I saw a person let go for plagarism, another person for not being able to pass classes, and yet another person who couldn't even work in her teams. She went around from team to team until everyone refused to work with her. Part of their program is teamwork (which IMO is important) in the job, and if you couldn't handle that then you won't make it in life IMO. I felt like I learned more in two years at UOP than 4 years at traditional university.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
My Daughter graduated from UOP. I am very proud of her, I know first hand her hard work and dedication.
She had 3 small children, was married to a service person who was overseas and worked full time.
I am very thankful that she had the opportunity to get her degree. She made great friends that were in her group, and maintains contact w/ them still. She has a wonderful upper management job. I think before people slam a program like this they should ask the people that actually went to that school.
I attended her graduation at Disney Land in Calif. There were thousands that graduated, and many family and loved ones in attendance.
I think online Colleges are a wonderful alternative to brick and mortar schools.

Last edited by JanND; 01-31-2013 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 01-31-2013, 08:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
I really don't see anything wrong with having UofP on your resume. What does your skill set look like? Can you do something that someone else can't do? Or do it 10x better?

My boyfriend graduated from Kaplan U, a "degree-mill" institution and makes six figures. He was just homeless last year. The degree had nothing to do with the fact that he is extremely talented in both front & back-end computer engineering. He also became the senior applications developer within his Fortune 500 organization in less than the year he has been working there.

So, what were you saying again?

Last edited by nj21; 01-31-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Going over the list- a few stand out to me:

"5. They will take life experiences as college credit."

Not even true, not in my case or anyone else I know AT ALL. Only things that could be counted towards your degree were UPPER DIVISION courses.

"6. They enroll people with extremely bad English grammar and writing skills."

Even the "worst" writers gradually learned, that's what college is about anyways, LEARNING. I was a much better writer when I did my master's degree than in high school! People don't leave high school and write the exact same way 5-10 years later, specially the more education you receive.

"8. Classes are an easy 5 weeks of typing papers and relying on the person with the most knowledge to pass the learning team."

Wow not true at all, EASY? I wrote papers and had hour plus presentations on an at least weekly basis. I will say the best thing I learned in that class (and which got me the last job) was how to speak to a group of people on a subject without getting nervous. My current boss said my speaking skills impressed him the most, and how I was able to handle a panel of 5 people without batting an eye, IMO a good skill I learned because my first presentation at UOP was terrible! lol. And in my teams pretty much everyone pulled their weight.

"9. Classes are taught by facilitators, not instructors or teachers."

All my courses were taught by instructors.

"10. You will get some nasty instructors that won't answer any of your telephone calls or emails until the class is over."

My friends who went online never had this problem. And I never had a problem getting ahold of my instructors. In fact one wrote me a superb letter of recommendation when I asked for one.

"11. The academic and financial aid counselors will be there for you saying even though you're not learning anything, once you get your bachelors degree, you'll be able to get a better job in your field of study. They're telling you this and being nice to you so they can get paid but what they should be telling you is that once you graduate, you'll have a "worthless" degree in your hands. Once you graduate, you'll be unemployed and wish you attended your local state university. I graduated a year ago in July 2008 and I'm still unemployed. I've read complaints about former students who graduated 3 years ago and are still not working in their field because they were improperly and inadequately trained."

Sounds like maybe the author just doesn't have good skills or didn't learn much, I have had no major issues finding work since leaving UOP.

"12. Many employers don't acknowledge resumes with the University of Phoenix credential."

Again, not my experience.

I don't understand how so many people had bad experiences considering me and pretty much everyone else I went through are now working, some nurses, two social care workers, one a project manager, one in upper management security (no not a security guard), myself I work in biotech with the promise of getting into project management in a few years. Which is fine with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search